Edinson Cavani

CFC58

And that is fair enough, I just think in the modern era of football, Chelsea si doing a phenominal job mixing that same notion that you have mentyioned with the occasional big signing. I do genuinly believe that Lukaku will be given every chance to prove himself in this season to come. I also believe that Torres will be sold.

I guess all we really want is a winning team with its own 'Chelsea" identity, and I really do believe that is what we have.

Last season our marquee signing was Eden Hazard, a player very much on the up who filled a spot in which we had no other options and who had re-sale value which was roughly 60-70% what we paid for him. He was also being chased by the three biggest clubs in this country.

This season we're going for a player who is at his peak (according to numerous posters in this thread) who immediately jumps in front of another player who was looking for his chance, who has re-sale value of roughly half his fee if it doesn't work out (at best) and we're the only team willing to pay what Napoli would find acceptable if reports are to be believed.

This isn't a continuation of what we've been doing since June 2011, but us reverting to January 2011.

We had midfield problems last season and found it difficult to control games properly. But what if its just better to outscore the opponent instead, :wank2: i mean manutd did it last season when van persie came a lot of dying minute winners from vanpersie. <_<

So cavani can be our vanpersie. :getin: And the transfer market is not closing anytime soon, so its not like we cant still get a DM/CM.

But im surprised that many of us are shocked if we sign cavani. :blink: We all know mourinho makes a major signing every now and then especially in the strike force :ph34r:

It's possible that they'll look to sell a couple of players to make this deal more affordable. I don't think the club see FFP as that big of a hindrance. We just got a huge Adidas deal, in fact the larger shirt sponsorship in the country. We are going to likely get a new stadium. We still haven't sold the naming rights. We have a billionaire owner. In the short term, FFP is not that big of a concern. In the long term we'll be more than self sufficient I feel in 7-8 years time.

That last sentence sounds a lot like Peter Kenyon in 2005. Personally I agree with what you're saying which is why this deal surprises me.

We are not Southampton, where we can just be satisfied watching young talent grow. Every year we do not win something is a year the brand value suffers. The ideas that you are propagating are being followed by Arsenal right now to no avail, while they keep on getting pummeled into the dust by us. Our competition is not Arsenal. It is not Tottenham. Our competition is Barcelona and Madrid and Bayern and United. Barcelona just spent stupid money on Neymar. They also have the highest wage bill in football. Madrid are likely to break the world transfer fee record for Bale. This is despite both of these clubs having a significant advantage on us in that they can find an abundance extremely talented Spanish players for cheaper fees. Right now what is incomprehensible to me is that you are against us improving significantly on a position that has been primarily responsible for terrible finishes in the league two years in a row. We have to do this deal imo. Even if it comes at the sacrifice of improving the midfield, since that can be done in the coming years.

For the millionth fucking time, people don't seem to understand what Arsenal did. They didn't just rely on youth, they underinvested in their first team and spent poorly on journeyman 27 year olds who simply weren't good enough.

That last part is something I completely disagree with. The striking position wasn't the issue for us, but our ability to control games in the centre of the back and have a reliable platform on defence from which to build. The fact that you suggest sacrificing the midfield to get a striker is worth considering is utterly dumbfounding.

Lukaku will be given a chance. I have no doubt of this, after hearing Jose's concerning the youth system. If he can't make it against competition here, it means he isn't good enough. If he doesn't I'll wish him well but I won't shed a tear, just like I didn't for Josh and the other youngsters that haven't come through. We are by no means a welfare society for young footballers. They have to be good enough to make it against world class competition. Survival of the fittest imo.

I'm all for players having competition, but Lukaku isn't fighting against Cavani - he's going to be up against a £50 million price tag that has to be given every chance to succeed because of the giant financial commitment we will have made. Maybe Mourinho will be fearless in dropping him to the bench if he underperforms, but how will the board react to that? At best it's a mild conflict.

We had midfield problems last season and found it difficult to control games properly. But what if its just better to outscore the opponent instead, :wank2: i mean manutd did it last season when van persie came a lot of dying minute winners from vanpersie. <_<

So cavani can be our vanpersie. :getin: And the transfer market is not closing anytime soon, so its not like we cant still get a DM/CM.

But im surprised that many of us are shocked if we sign cavani. :blink: We all know mourinho makes a major signing every now and then especially in the strike force :ph34r:

Damn....we should have appointed Kevin Keegan instead of Mourinho.

Man United last season were a pretty poor team. They won the league but they failed to build a team strong enough to compete in Europe and if you ask their supporters they'll point to their lack of a midfield figure as the key. It's why they are so keen to get Thiago.

Also, RVP was being chased by about 3-4 top teams both here and abroad and was a fantastic deal at more than half the price we're looking to spend on Cavani.

Last season our marquee signing was Eden Hazard, a player very much on the up who filled a spot in which we had no other options and who had re-sale value which was roughly 60-70% what we paid for him. He was also being chased by the three biggest clubs in this country.

This season we're going for a player who is at his peak (according to numerous posters in this thread) who immediately jumps in front of another player who was looking for his chance, who has re-sale value of roughly half his fee if it doesn't work out (at best) and we're the only team willing to pay what Napoli would find acceptable if reports are to be believed.

This isn't a continuation of what we've been doing since June 2011, but us reverting to January 2011.

Again like I said, its about mixing the old with the new. The guys in the boardroom would have thought of every angle before going ahead with something like this. Im sure there is a very specific plan to incorporate both Cavani and Lukaku, if Cavani in fact does join. If we are to challemge for titles across the board, we will need more than 1 world class striker, so im sure both will play their part. I suppose my question to you would be, would this signing make more sense to you if it means Torres is leaving? I agree with an earlier comment you made, that there are other areas of the squad that need desperate attention, but again I think that just because we splash out big for Cavani, doesnt mean those other areas (Centre back and Defensive Midfield) wont be addressed as they need to. We very fortunate as Chelsea fans with the incredible talent that gets brought in to the club, but sometimes (im not saying you) we as Chelsea fans get a bit ungrateful like spoilt rich kids and I can see how a lot of fans would like us to steer away from some big money signings because of that.

So if Lukaku is unable to get us to that level, why don't we sell him and re-invest in another young striker who can get us to that level?

My personal opinion is that NO STRIKER will get us to some mythological next level and what we actually need to do is focus on the midfield and defence which is what made us the best team in England in 2005-2006. In fact we stuck with Drogba when he wasn't the beast he is now and that ultimately took us to the Champions League Final twice.

But of course that makes me a Lukaku fanboy. :wank2::wank2:

Maybe I'm just a fan of players who have a tremendous work ethic and love this club as much as some of the people on here.

Can you stop quoting me and my posts which are not directed at you, you paranoid pathetic pest.

It is still the same rumour from a radio station in napoli so why are you all believing it? If talksports says a deal is done i dont see anybody celebrating? We have no knowledge if the source is reliable you all just wish it is so you guys are accepting it! Dont believe anything at all at this stage!

I have been "hurt" too often not going with this story until someone can give me a reliable source and dont give me the same story on a different site ? and if radio napoli was reliable it would be on sky sports!

Looks like we're on the same page here, then. I would welcome and support Cavani, but to me the prospect of allowing our £18 million investment in Lukaku to be given a fair go this season is something I am really, really excited about.

The positive way to look at this is that Cavani will be a great option to bring off the bench when Lukaku is done destroying teams for the first 65 minutes. ;)

Actually that's my take on this - he's an upgrade on Torres. Now I'm excited by this move.

Absolutely it makes more sense if Torres leaves, hopefully as part of this deal.

I think that last part of your point is key though. I think we win the league next season whether we get Cavani or not. I think we're a good team with an excellent coach and that we'll be stronger in the areas in which we under-performed simply by virtue of having a coach come in who has a pre-season to work with the squad and is a fantastic tactician (unlike Robbie who quite simply isn't).

Cavani to me is just another short-cut to success though in my opinion. Sticking with someone like Lukaku will be bumpier but I think it establishes a new personality at this club where people are given a chance if they deserve one (and he does) and the other youngsters at this club will see that and repeat that process.

Look, I'm prepared to accept him if he comes in works hard and helps us win stuff, and I fully accept that Lukaku will still get his chances but to me this move runs contrary to what we've been building intelligently for the last two years. In my view we were doing an amazing job and Jose was the final step in that process, but now we're stuttering and panicking and reaching for the most expensive salve in the store.

Look again I fully agree with everything you are saying. Jose is the key to an already fantastic, talented squad. Would I prefer 50 million to be spent in other areas? Absolutely. If it were me id snap up Subotic and Xabi Alonso (which I believe would fix all our problems), for 2 thirds of that money. Do we need another striker? Well...yes if Torres leaves and Ba goes on loan. Do we need a 50 million pound striker when we have Lukaku? Probably not. However, we are a rich club, and is is usually the case with rich people, why buy a VW to dive around in when you can have a Ferrari. They both pretty much will do the same job, the one is just more appealing while it does it. That is the reality for us, so hey I say lets just enjoy it while we can.

Chelsea 'agree' £49.3 million deal for Napoli striker Edinson Cavani to see off Manchester City challenge

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/10140249/Chelsea-agree-49.3-million-deal-for-Napoli-striker-Edinson-Cavani-to-see-off-Manchester-City-challenge.html

same story.

Even the english papers dont really believe it so they always write "agree"!

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You