Chelsea 2-0 Dortmund (Aggregate 2-1)

James

4 hours ago, Milan said:

Hopefully he does not stop here at five and adds some more.

5 more games to go to win the CL

and in theory we could not win any (all draws) and still win the CL via 3 pen shootouts (quarters, semis, and the final)

lol

2 hours ago, Special Juan said:

😃 I was wrong about Sterling but fucking dead on about this.

Great atmosphere, Thought Chillwell and Cucu were brilliant. Felix very quiet for me

Cucu as I mentioned I don't think he is good in LB. But should be try in another position. 
I still would like him to do DM. He might take over Kante position good. 

2 hours ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Have to agree, I like the fact that Kepa is growing in confidence and playing well. 

Until he doesn't. And this circle had happened like 5 times already since he is here. But I love this optimistic atmosphere here after the game, that is 10 times of what it would be previous season. Some genuine joy after all the crap of late. 

15 hours ago, Thor said:

I guess for this season - revert back to what works - find a team thats already gelled a bit, etc. 

Next season and off season we can focus on using the Maduake and Mudryk - a 4 ATB system - etc.

I'm sad to say that I do not believe Noni is starting quality for Chelsea.

8 hours ago, Hamilton said:

Didn’t see the game, not on usual tele here

How did we do? 

We didn't play as well as we did in Dortmund, but we did play better than we have been doing domestically. Had chances to score more than two, and lost goals to two very close, but accurate, offside decisions.

19 hours ago, Vesper said:

it was a clear handball

not a dodgy call

and the encroaching player cleared the missed pen, so also a legit call

this is not true. Watched the replay and the encroaching player didn't clear the ball

1 hour ago, Strike said:

this is not true. Watched the replay and the encroaching player didn't clear the ball

Doesnt really matter. If players from both teams enter the penalty area when the kick is done, it has to be retaken, no matter of the result. In fact it should have been retaken even if Havertz had scored. 

14 hours ago, Strike said:

Of course he (Salih Özcan) did, why are you trying to claim a false narrative?

Why Chelsea’s Kai Havertz was allowed to retake crucial penalty against Borussia Dortmund

https://theathletic.com/4285441/2023/03/07/Chelsea-penalty-havertz-dortmund-encroachment/

LONDON, ENGLAND - MARCH 07: Kai Havertz of Chelsea misses the penalty during the UEFA Champions League round of 16 leg two match between Chelsea FC and Borussia Dortmund at Stamford Bridge on March 07, 2023 in London, England. (Photo by Justin Setterfield/Getty Images)

Chelsea overturned a first-leg deficit to beat Borussia Dortmund 2-1 and reach the quarter-finals of the Champions League, relieving pressure on boss Graham Potter.

Raheem Sterling levelled the tie on aggregate but the crucial goal came from a — retaken — Kai Havertz penalty.

The forward was given a second chance at success after missing his first attempt early in the second half of the match at Stamford Bridge, with Chelsea seeking to overturn a 1-0 first-leg deficit.

But why was Havertz allowed to try again after striking the post on the first attempt?

What happened?

The penalty was won after referee Danny Makkelie adjudged Marius Wolf’s block of Ben Chilwell’s cross as a handball.

Makkelie had to use the pitchside monitor to come to the decision, having initially waved Chelsea’s appeals away.

After a brief delay, Havertz stepped up to take the penalty — with Chelsea’s regular taker over the past few years, Jorginho, having completed a transfer to Arsenal in January.

Havertz took a short run up with a pause, sending Dortmund goalkeeper Alexander Meyer the wrong way.

The Chelsea man’s penalty, however, struck the post and came out, with play continuing as Stamford Bridge fell almost silent.

But after a few seconds, Makkelie indicated that Havertz would be allowed to retake his penalty, and the German sent Meyer the wrong way again as he found the corner of the net.

Why was the penalty retaken?

Havertz had a second bite at the cherry because the Salih Ozcan, Dortmund player who cleared the ball, had entered the penalty area before the German took his kick.

Player encroachment in the box is judged on any part of a player’s body that is on the ground when the kick is taken. If any part of the foot is on the penalty area or arc line it is encroachment.

The VAR is allowed to intervene in any instance of encroachment by players that has a direct impact on the outcome of the kick.

The IFAB’s VAR handbook confirms that encroachment can be reviewed if “a defender who encroached prevents an attacker playing or being able to play the ball in a situation where a goal might be scored”.

The IFAB, football’s lawmakers, details in its Law 14 on the penalty kick what should follow in instances of encroachment.

If an attacking player is guilty of encroachment, the penalty is retaken if the player scores, but an indirect free-kick is otherwise awarded.

If the encroachment if by a defending player but the penalty is scored, the goal stands. If the penalty is not converted, it is retaken.

Chelsea players were also seen encroaching during Havertz’s first attempt.

But if both defending and attacking players are guilty of encroachment, the penalty is retaken regardless of whether the initial spot-kick is scored or not.

What was the reaction?

Potter admitted he had needed some guidance on the rules — and couldn’t bear to watch Havertz’s second attempt.

“After the first one – I stood up and watched — but then I thought, ‘No, I’m going to sit down and just listen to the crowd. Thankfully the noise was there.

“Our assistant, who’s better at the rules than me, explained there was an encroachment.”

Dortmund boss Edin Terzic rued what he thought was a “harsh decision”.

“Inches are deciding (who is) going to the next round,” he said. “I’m responsible for the performance of my team, I don’t want to talk about the referee.

“I think it was a tight call and a harsh decision.”

Dortmund’s Jude Bellingham was disappointed in the retake and the original penalty decision, saying of Wolf: “I’m not sure what more he can do with his hand.”

“That in itself was disappointing and the fact that they’ve had a retake, I think it’s a joke.

“For every penalty, especially when you have such a slow run-up, there’s going to be people encroaching into the box by a yard or so.

“He’s made the decision and we have to live with it.”