Chelsea 2-0 Dortmund (Aggregate 2-1)

James

14 hours ago, milka said:

Kepa slowly and gloriously became number 1 and almost nobody took notice.
A pretty solid performance from him and almost perfect since Potter came on.

if only he had a normal keeper's long arms

sigh

7 hours ago, Vesper said:

Of course he (Salih Özcan) did, why are you trying to claim a false narrative?

Why Chelsea’s Kai Havertz was allowed to retake crucial penalty against Borussia Dortmund

Please watch it again? Its cleared by the player who's not in the box

Even The Athletic has got it wrong

Edited by Strike

5 hours ago, Strike said:

Please watch it again? Its cleared by the player who's not in the box

Even The Athletic has got it wrong

He is encroaching. He is in the D. Remember a penalty kick is just a glorified free kick, opposing players are not allowed within 9 point whatever metres of the ball until it is kicked. That's why the D is there. It traces out the arc which is 9+ metres from the penalty spot.

The one thing I would like to believe, in the interest of fairness, is that a retake would also have been ordered if Kai had scored with his initial effort. Ben is clearly also is the box.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

He is in the D.

I will admit it. Watching football for 25 years but this is the first time I see that half circle outside the box being ever mentioned and purpose explained. 

Never occurred to me there is a reason for its existence 🤣

Who knows, maybe in 25 years I learn what is circle in the middle of the pitch for 🤣

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Who knows, maybe in 25 years I learn what is circle in the middle of the pitch for 🤣

I used to be a referee so you need only ask. 🙂

In that connection, I once met Sir Stanley Rous. Literally once. He ran football as head of fifa for over ten years, played, refereed at top level, was chairman of The FA, and single-handedly wrote the first modern version of the laws of Association football. (This was in the days when The FA was responsible for the laws of the game.) Rous lost the top job at fifa partly because the rest of the world was fed up with England trying to run the sport, and partly because he was a man of his era who saw nothing wrong with apartheid South Africa so he resisted attempts to isolate them from the international game.

Hint: The centre circle is also the metric equivalent of ten yards in radius. 🙂  

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

7 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Right then why is the ball allowed to be outside the D at corners.

And it really fucking annoys me.

Aside from the fact that the old law, which required the ball to be fully within the quadrant, made taking the kick harder, it was incompatible with the way the laws treat other lines on the pitch.  A ball which is almost entirely outside the pitch, but which overhangs the outer edge of the touchline by even a millimetre, is deemed to be 'in' the field of play. A foul which occurs on the outer edge of a line marking out the penalty area would be penalised with the award of a penalty, not a free kick. If those lines are a part of the area they contain, then it follows that the arc which marks the edge of the corner quadrant should also be regarded as being 'in' that quadrant.

Hence the 'new' law deems that as long as some part of the ball overhangs some part of the corner quadrant's arc, the ball is 'in' the quadrant.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

5 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Right then why is the ball allowed to be outside the D at corners.

And it really fucking annoys me.

The one they seem to ignore constantly is when the keeper does a drop kick upfield. Invariably they are often a few feet out of the area as its booted

5 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

The one they seem to ignore constantly is when the keeper does a drop kick upfield. Invariably they are often a few feet out of the area as its booted

Yeah! I was wondering about, so many times i've been screaming look at the fucking keeper well out of the penalty area, but now I find out that the powers that be have sanctioned it.

Sorry I know this is not the correct thread, but I just needed to get this off my chest😇

2 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Yeah! I was wondering about, so many times i've been screaming look at the fucking keeper well out of the penalty area, but now I find out that the powers that be have sanctioned it.

Sorry I know this is not the correct thread, but I just needed to get this off my chest😇

I must be misunderstanding you here because I don't see why a keeper shouldn't be allowed to play the ball outside the penalty area. He has the same 'rights' as any other player. It's just that he has special rights when he in his own penalty area. When he's doing a drop kick from the edge of his penalty area, as long as he doesn't handle the ball outside the area, why can't he can drop it wherever he likes?