Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

If I were Arsenal I’d be putting out those smokescreens as well, holding up another teams business is textbook. Unless Laca goes from Arsenal, I can’t see him going there, nor can I see anyone in for Laca, either.

buy back clause I’m in favour of, who knows.

8 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

While Barca players are refusing to take pay cuts and they may not be able to register players.....We should make an offer for Pedri.

City will be in for Pedri if there was ever a chance his like a pep dream midfielder lol. 

39 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Not one player at Lyon earns Bakayoko's wages. No way Lyon match them. 

While that's probably true, why should it matter? If he still had a long term contract, the wage issue would be a bigger obstacle but nearing the end of his deal it gets less and less important.

Bakayoko's deal is up next year and by now he should know he's not getting anywhere near his current wages (£110K/wk) for his next contract anyway. If he lowers his demands even a little bit (for example to somewhere around £60-80K range) his new salary should fit nicely with Lyon's other players wages. The difference in salary for the 2021/22 season could either be subsidized by Chelsea or covered by Lyon with a one-off signing on fee for the player.

That's assuming Bakayoko knows his level and accepts the reality. If he has his head in the clouds and imagines he's getting the same wage or more at his next club, there could be problems. He already hit the lottery once by getting a contract too big for his skill level, he's not going to get it again.

Edited by Jype

10 minutes ago, Jype said:

While that's probably true, why should it matter? If he still had a long term contract, the wage issue would be a bigger obstacle but nearing the end of his deal it gets less and less important.

Bakayoko's deal is up next year and by now he should know he's not getting anywhere near his current wages (£110K/wk) for his next contract anyway. If he lowers his demands even a little bit (for example to somewhere around £60-80K range) his new salary should fit nicely with Lyon's other players wages. The difference in salary for the 2021/22 season could either be subsidized by Chelsea or covered by Lyon with a one-off signing on fee for the player.

That's assuming Bakayoko knows his level and accepts the reality. If he has his head in the clouds and imagines he's getting the same wage or more at his next club, there could be problems. He already hit the lottery once by getting a contract too big for his skill level, he's not going to get it again.

Pretty sure Bakayoko realises he won't ever earn anywhere near £110K/wk again, so he will undoubtebly ride out this last year. Much like Drinkwater.

Any permanent move this window is sheer imagination.  

19 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Pretty sure Bakayoko realises he won't ever earn anywhere near £110K/wk again, so he will undoubtebly ride out this last year. Much like Drinkwater.

Any permanent move this window is sheer imagination.  

I wouldn't compare Bakayoko and Drinkwater together at all.

The former is obviously still trying his best to make a good career for himself and has played the last three seasons at very decent clubs (Milan, Monaco, Napoli). He's obviously not a top player but at the very least he's proved himself to be competent at clubs aiming for UCL spots in Italy/France so wherever he ends up at he'll probably have a good 5-8 years ahead of him at that level.

Drinkwater on the other hand is a washed up alcoholic who's played less than 10 games of football in the last three years despite no major injuries, and has failed to make any sort of impact at any of his three loan clubs too (unless you count a training ground brawl with his team mate as having an impact). I wouldn't be surprised if he announced his retirement from football the day after his contract at Chelsea is over because he clearly doesn't have any ambition to play anymore.

With Drinkwater there's absolutely zero hope of him moving before his contract expires but I can't see Bakayoko staying in the U23s for a year just to collect his pay check so he should be doing whatever he can to make a permanent transfer happen. Or what do you think will happen if he rides out the last year and plays no football? He'll have wasted a prime year of his career for the sake of £1-2M difference in wages and he'd probably get even less for his next contract then.

Edited by Jype

9 minutes ago, Jype said:

With Drinkwater there's absolutely zero hope of him moving before his contract expires but I can't see Bakayoko staying in the U23s for a year just to collect his pay check so he should be doing whatever he can to make a permanent transfer happen. Or what do you think will happen if he rides out the last year and plays no football? He'll have wasted a prime year of his career for the sake of £1-2M difference in wages and he'd probably get even less for his next contract then.

A. He is earning £5.3 million a year. He will be lucky to earn half as much elsewhere when his contract expires. The incentive to stay and ride out his last 'pay day' is higher than ever.

B.  Bakayoko won't stay here and play with the U23's. He'll be going out on loan again to which we will yet again cover the majority of his wages. Any permanent move this window is yet again, sheer imagination. 

30 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

A. He is earning £5.3 million a year. He will be lucky to earn half as much elsewhere when his contract expires. The incentive to stay and ride out his last 'pay day' is higher than ever.

B.  Bakayoko won't stay here and play with the U23's. He'll be going out on loan again to which we will yet again cover the majority of his wages. Any permanent move this window is yet again, sheer imagination. 

C. Bakayoko accepts a smaller pay packet from a new club and Chelsea subsidizes the difference in wages for the next year, just like the club also would in your B scenario.

I really don't see much of a difference in options B and C from either Bakayoko's or Chelsea's perspective. Either way Chelsea will have to cover for a portion of his wages for the coming season and in both cases he'll then go for a smaller pay packet at his next permanent club, whether the contract is signed this year or next year. In both scenarios Bakayoko still gets the same £5.3M for the coming season so riding out the contract would make very little difference for him, unless he thinks he's getting a significantly higher contract when signing as a free agent.

I could see a club potentially handing him out a slightly bigger contract as a free agent, but then again if he has a bad season he might get even less than he would this year. Or if he gets a bad injury during the season (while playing out on loan) he might get nothing. So there is definitely an incentive for him to find a club to sign his next long term contract ASAP.

I fully think the contract stuff will sort itself out but the only problem in my point of view is finding a club who are actually willing to pay any kind of transfer fee for him. Bakayoko's amortisation value for the coming season is £8M so the club should optimally be looking for at least that much, and there might not be any takers.

Edited by Jype