Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

5 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Awesome! Is it done in time to add him for Super Cup?

Surely just a cameo appearance, in prep for 15-20 minutes at Palace. Has he played any preseason games at all ?

11 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Glad it’s done.

As for Haaland, I really hope City now fail in their pursuit of Kane and go for Haaland next summer. It’s gotten to the point where I hope to see him anywhere but Man United and their arrogant, asshole supporters. Even if it makes our title aspirations harder.

I think it will either be Bayern or RM at this point.

28 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

sorry but the logical choice would have been no one.

Get your first choice or don't sign someone at all. Lukaku is a 2nd rate 2nd choice and exactly the kind of signing we should not be making. Too old, too expensive, contract too long.

This window can still get worse than 2017

I understand your point of view.

Let's see how it works...

4 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I think it will either be Bayern or RM at this point.

Even better. Preferably Real Madrid because they’re the kings at publicly tapping up and turning players’ heads. 

18 minutes ago, Jype said:

That only works if you're really confident of landing said first choice later on, so basically if the player is desperate to join and will refuse all other offers to join next window.

Can anyone honestly say they'd have been confident of getting Haaland later? The club certainly didn't seem to think so.

good point but who says that in a year haaland is still the best choice? maybe we can get mbappe for free given our previous history or maybe we can continue with false 9 like most clubs and don't need a true striker. Maybe broja becomes a beast, maybe in a year someone else emerges who appears to be a better prospec then... you never know but when the player is not the perfect choice at the moment and for the future why bother weaking yourself from a position of strength.... it really gets us into a tough spot. We don't need to be desperate for a title and buy for the short term.

9 minutes ago, BluesMadLad said:

Is that really best for the club or just urself because u don't rate lukaku, to say not buy any 1 and put all hope on a false 9 is crazy, especially when you have the option to buy a machine like lukaku.

For myself? for my personal wellbeing it does not mean a flying fuck who we sign for how much. But I care about the club including its finances and long term economic plans. And in this context i just think this is a catastrophic deal... In fact I do somewhat rate lukaku, see the Serie A thread. He is a one man bison herd. One of the best counter attacking strikers on the planet. He would do well in Bundesliga or would continue to do so in Serie A. But for us he is not the perfect fit and for the money I'd rather pass as I can see it being invested more sensibly that is all. There is no emotional investment in the player himself here, just the emotionalinvestment i have in the wellbeing of the club. and in this context i just consider it a bad business case which saddens me a bit. That is all.

I doubt he goes to R Madrid, look at their squad, it’s in disarray in terms of age and ability, their only saving grace is that Barcelona are fucked financially for the foreseeable. Plus, Mbappe is their reported target.

I think it’s either City, if they don’t buy Kane, or United.

1 hour ago, Magic Lamps said:

sorry but the logical choice would have been no one.

Get your first choice or don't sign someone at all. Lukaku is a 2nd rate 2nd choice and exactly the kind of signing we should not be making. Too old, too expensive, contract too long.

This window can still get worse than 2017

Agree what a fucking colossal waste of money for a bang average player with the first touch of a donkey 🙄 

2 hours ago, Vesper said:

£97.5m cash t-fee

£390K PW or so salary (gross, like we always talk about with EPL salaries)

so wish he was 2 or 3 years younger

I suppose the argument with this is would you rather have the 28 year old version of Lukaku or the 25 year old version?

The fee ratio to the age is a bit risky but we're talking about a player clearly in the prime of his career. We have a core group of younger players in the squad so I think we can take the risk of adding one or two players in the prime of their career.

Lukaku isn't the first and won't be the last player where the penny seems to have dropped for him at a later point in his career rather than much earlier. Hopefully we're getting the very best version of him.

34 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

I doubt he goes to R Madrid, look at their squad, it’s in disarray in terms of age and ability, their only saving grace is that Barcelona are fucked financially for the foreseeable. Plus, Mbappe is their reported target.

I think it’s either City, if they don’t buy Kane, or United.

Why are you excluding Bayern Munich?

7 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I suppose the argument with this is would you rather have the 28 year old version of Lukaku or the 25 year old version?

The fee ratio to the age is a bit risky but we're talking about a player clearly in the prime of his career. We have a core group of younger players in the squad so I think we can take the risk of adding one or two players in the prime of their career.

Lukaku isn't the first and won't be the last player where the penny seems to have dropped for him at a later point in his career rather than much earlier. Hopefully we're getting the very best version of him.

Rom at at 26yo and 27yo

ff3aeb736b512df3b22391022660fc95.pngc0d4c9e50d3ce46bb2d1ee99cae33ab7.png

5 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Isn't Grealish the British record now? 100m pounds flat

Rom will stay below that

Was going by the 120m euros figure- that was 101m pounds. Not sure what the final fee was. If Grealish is higher- perfect. Less pressure that way

2 minutes ago, Vesper said:

Rom at at 26yo and 27yo

ff3aeb736b512df3b22391022660fc95.pngc0d4c9e50d3ce46bb2d1ee99cae33ab7.png

My point is yes it would be ideal if he was only 25 or 26 but I wouldn't have wanted to spend big money on the Lukaku that was leaving United. 

He's needed these couple of years at Inter to re-establish himself. I'd rather have the best possible version of him even if he's a couple of years older.

Let's just hope he can fire goals in for the next 3-4 years because if he does that I think he'll be worth the investment.

Just now, Fernando said:

Not excited about this transfer. 

Might go the route of morata, kepa and torres. 

I doubt it. More like Saloman Kalou. Will miss a ton of chances but will have some moments. Will still be a useful squad member, but it begs the question 'why did we let him go in the first place?' We could've avoided Morata and used him as backup for Costa. 

I expect us to keep playing with a false 9 against City and Pool and use Lukaku to give us a different dimension against lower teams.