Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

11 minutes ago, DDA said:

But we have built a system that needs a proper number 9. That's where we were failing last season. That was plain to see. We tried Werner, hit and miss, we tried Havertz and it was again hit and miss. Just because Havertz scored the winning goal against City in the CL final doesn't mean him playing there was a success. He missed absolute sitters, time and time again. The same with Werner. The system needs a striker and every man and his dog was saying so throughout each match day thread. What's changed all of a sudden??

But like I said, If we really want to go down the route of signing someone we think can guarantee goals fine, I'll happily compromise at sourcing a Mane/Salah/Jota type (even if I think Werner, Mount and especially Havertz will score a lot more next season).

But like Jas said the reason we create so many chances to waste is because our players are all heavily involved in the build up, since we've moved Kai to false 9 (from the Everton game) the majority of our performances have been very good, when teams are playing shit but get undeserved results for a while because one player keeps coming up clutch eventually it catches up (ala Arsenal with Aubameyang, Spurs with Kane and us with Hazard under Mourinho) so why can't that also work in reverse?

Fox in the box strikers have a habit of making their teams worse overall even if they offer a good goal record, even great ones like RVN (United only won 1 title in 5 years with him and 3 in a row either side of him). The game has long moved on from them in consistent winning teams.

Edited by Tomo

11 minutes ago, DDA said:

But we have built a system that needs a proper number 9. That's where we were failing last season. That was plain to see. We tried Werner, hit and miss, we tried Havertz and it was again hit and miss. Just because Havertz scored the winning goal against City in the CL final doesn't mean him playing there was a success. He missed absolute sitters, time and time again. The same with Werner. The system needs a striker and every man and his dog was saying so throughout each match day thread. What's changed all of a sudden??             

Just because someone misses chances, doesn't mean the system is built to have a #9. 

Having a system and then putting in players to make the system work (what Tuchel has been doing) is entirely different to having a system entirely based around one player (which is what Conte did at Inter). 

5 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Lukaku when he isnthe biggest and fastest player on the pitch: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9NiumzzcmEI

as we knew before, his game intelligence, technique and coordination is on tammy level. he just is the superior physical specimen, question is for how long. take away his pace and power, which are already waning, he is useless.

10 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

I'm telling you now, so many of you are solely fucking focused on the financials you can't even see your own arse, never seen so many stupid fucking comments like "oh look it's 100m we are being robbed" who gives a flying piece of horse shit if he comes in and scores goals, can't be fucking worse than Werner last season.

Can't wait that if we sign him he fucking throws it back in your faces.

Exactly.

I think the financial side is a valid concern because let's face it, paying a €120M fee and most likely wages in the club's top 3 earners is a massive investment and he would be brought in as an immediate impact player whose re-sale value in 3-5 years is closing in on zero, so he absolutely must be a big hitter immediately and consistently to justify the big outlay. Generally speaking with younger players there's almost always time to wait for them to grow into the team and even if they never do, most of the time they can still be sold for a decent enough value later on but if a player like Lukaku fails then moving him on in 2-3 years could be problematic because of the wage and large amortisation value left on the club's books.

I share some of those concerns as well, but I also really rate Lukaku highly as a player and would love to have him back so with a total lack of other quality options out there I'm all in favor of doing it and think he'd be a big success at the club.

Getting Lukaku would be totally out of character for the board, who usually go for players in the ages between 21-25 who have more re-sale value if a sale is ever needed. The club have built the current squad mostly around these kind of younger players so I don't think it's a problem at all to make one big impact signing of a player in his prime with little re-sale value, as long as the player actually delivers on the pitch. Of course a player like Haaland would be preferable if it was a realistic option but I've already conceded a loss on that one and Lukaku would be one of the best alternatives out there. I also don't believe Haaland would join Chelsea next year either, so there's very little point waiting for him.

Watching Lukaku’s goal compilation from this last season and you can’t help but be impressed. If you had no preconceived knowledge of his past stint in the PL you’d understand why he’s valued at around 100m. He was incredible last season. Looks like a monstrous freight train in the same way that Haaland does. Just not quite as clean with the ball at his feet. Was lethal with both feet as well as his head and looks much improved holding the ball up with his first touch, though still far from perfect.

He’s going to bag us loads of goals against certain opponents. But I just wonder if TT will have the stones to drop a 100m player if we know it’s going to be a poor matchup? Or will he be “too big” for that. Because it’ll be ultra frustrating to watch him in certain matches where teams park 9 men around their penalty area and he is useless.

It is quite ridiculous signing Kounde and Lukaku

We are about to sign

a centre back who is all flashy skills, dribbling and technique but tiny and weak

and a centre forward who is all height, strength and power but no skill, dribbling nor technique

and each is gonna cost a ton...

you could not make this up.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

He’s going to bag us loads of goals against certain opponents. But I just wonder if TT will have the stones to drop a 100m player if we know it’s going to be a poor matchup? Or will he be “too big” for that. Because it’ll be ultra frustrating to watch him in certain matches where teams park 9 men around their penalty area and he is useless.

Thing is Lukaku does have the pace and strength to break high lines similar to Werner. Can see him being used against the Liverpools and Cities. 

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

It is quite ridiculous signing Kounde and Lukaku

We are about to sign

a centre back who is all flashy skills, dribbling and technique but tiny and weak

and a centre forward who is all height, strength and power but no skill, dribbling nor technique

and each is gonna cost a ton...

you could not make this up.

Koundé weak? He’s a freakin tank! 

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Thing is Lukaku does have the pace and strength to break high lines similar to Werner. Can see him being used against the Liverpools and Cities. 

Yeah, Lukaku is a must against the big teams who will actually try to play football. It’s the small teams that I’d be iffy about. Your Burnley’s of the world who will delight in giving us 80% possession and no space to actually do anything with it.

28 minutes ago, Tomo said:

But like I said, If we really want to go down the route of signing someone we think can guarantee goals fine, I'll happily compromise at sourcing a Mane/Salah/Jota type (even if I think Werner, Mount and especially Havertz will score a lot more next season).

But like Jas said the reason we create so many chances to waste is because our players are all heavily involved in the build up, since we've moved Kai to false 9 (from the Everton game) the majority of our performances have been very good, when teams are playing shit but get undeserved results for a while because one player keeps coming up clutch eventually it catches up (ala Arsenal with Aubameyang, Spurs with Kane and us with Hazard under Mourinho) so why can't that also work in reverse?

Fox in the box strikers have a habit of making their teams worse overall even if they offer a good goal record, even great ones like RVN (United only won 1 title in 5 years with him and 3 in a row either side of him). The game has long moved on from them in consistent winning teams.

26 minutes ago, Jas said:

Just because someone misses chances, doesn't mean the system is built to have a #9. 

Having a system and then putting in players to make the system work (what Tuchel has been doing) is entirely different to having a system entirely based around one player (which is what Conte did at Inter). 

Jason you are talking like Conte built around Lukaku as if he were Messi. He is a striker and yes maybe he built his attack around that striker and rightfully so, it won them the Serie A and I get what you're saying but to say he built the entire team around Lukaku is a little OTT. Conte plays a very similar system to what TT has used with us, no? With the only difference being our attacking wide players, play a little more narrow maybe. 

I also agree Tomo that many of our chances came fro mthe fluidity of our front 3 but to say Lukaku is a fox in the box striker is likening him to an Inzaghi which for me he is more than that. He has improved his game tremendously since joing Inter and offers a substantial amount more in the build up. 

I have to say I do worry for where we will play Havertz who for me is the most important player for us to get right.

3 minutes ago, DDA said:

Jason you are talking like Conte built around Lukaku as if he were Messi. He is a striker and yes maybe he built his attack around that striker and rightfully so, it won them the Serie A and I get what you're saying but to say he built the entire team around Lukaku is a little OTT. Conte plays a very similar system to what TT has used with us, no? With the only difference being our attacking wide players, play a little more narrow maybe.

Well to Conte, Lukaku is probably like Messi given how obsessed he was with him. 

How is it OTT when Conte built Inter around Lukaku? He is absolutely their most important player.

Conte may use the same system (or formation) but it's different in execution. 

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Words without meaning, Lukaku is expert at these things.

What's the matter with you? Everybody knows he was a Chelsea fan growing up. You don't change the team you support just like you freaking change socks. 

And honestly, the negativity around here is getting tiring, the fan base will never be happy about anything it seems.

We are rumoured to sign one of the hottest CB prospects, he's weak, and a "dwarf" to some.

We are rumoured to sign a striker in his prime which destroyed the Serie A last year and the year before, and we are apparently signing a Torres bis.

Please let the board do their job and trust it is the best decision they can possibly make. We fans can never have the full picture, so we have no other choice than trust the process. And it's not like we're Spurs or Arsenal for fuck's sake, our board has shown us times and times that they are competent.

3 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah he was such a Chelsea fan he preferred the money from United in 2017, a few weeks ago he said he is an Inter fan since little.

Do your research before posting bullshit, please? There has been plenty of documentation regarding why his 2017 transfer has fallen out, namely disagreements between the club and Raiola.

Just go watch the youtube video where he visits Stamford bridge when he was like 14-15, and tell me straight in the face that he is not a Chelsea fan.

Yeah so? You can have a favorite club and still cheer for a different club in a different country.

Edited by Simon1991

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Yeah he was such a Chelsea fan he preferred the money from United in 2017, a few weeks ago he said he is an Inter fan since little.

From 2010 when Lukaku was 16-17.

But you've decided Lukaku can do nothing right and is a cunt so you can't see past your agenda. It's getting really tiring, I just hope if Lukaku ends up signing that the majority of the club's fan base aren't as toxic as you.

Edited by Jype