Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

It just feels like the opposite sort of profile our club have liked recently. We’ve tried to build around younger players who are great technically and have lots of room to improve and sustain or inflate their value. So why then would we spend over 100m on a striker who has zero resale value, is mediocre technique wise, and depends heavily on his pace and power to be effective as he quickly approaches 30?

This is why Haaland makes so much sense. He’s much younger and is the exact sort of profile we’ve loved. If Haaland agitates or decided to move in a few years he’d bring us a return of 200m. If Lukaku ends up being a poor fit he becomes a massive anchor who we’d probably have to loan out for a couple of years whilst paying some of his wages.

It’s just strange from our club. 

Kane to City, Lukaku to Chelsea also means United have clear path to Haaland next summer. There is also Norwegian connection.

But considering Haaland situation next summer makes you wonder why Chelsea and City dont wait for him?

Why is no one after Mbappe with just one year left on contract? Because everyone knows he wants only Real and will go there next summer.

So it could be that clubs become aware what Haaland wants and maybe he already promised himself to United or Real or Barca...

The most frustrating thing will be when he gets injured or suspended and Kai has an absolute screamer at false 9 in his absence and we look like such a better all round team as a result only to shoehorn Rom back in next game.

Would be even more infuriating than when Lampard did likewise with an out of sorts Kante.

1 minute ago, NikkiCFC said:

Kane to City, Lukaku to Chelsea also means United have clear path to Haaland next summer. There is also Norwegian connection.

But considering Haaland situation next summer makes you wonder why Chelsea and City dont wait for him?

Why is no one after Mbappe with just one year left on contract? Because everyone knows he wants only Real and will go there next summer.

So it could be that clubs become aware what Haaland wants and maybe he already promised himself to United or Real or Barca...

They really do not have a clear path. That €85M is all upfront money. Man Utd do not do that. They try to spread it over 5 years if possible. That is just the release clause, then comes all the agent fees, father money, and signing bonus. The Glazers hate up front buys. The real danger is if PSG loses Mbappe. They will pay everything up front and Riola has ties to PSG. 

The irony of a large bulk of the forum moaning for the past couple of weeks about how the club has no ambition and is throwing Tuchel under the bus by not buying players or addressing weaknesses. Now the club are reportedly looking to make a huge bid for someone and near enough everyone is against it.

11 hours ago, Pizy said:

Just throwing ideas out there. I’m desperate at this point. Jesus isn’t ideal but at least he’s a decent goal scorer when actually given a run and is a much better footballer than Tammy.

I'm slightly surprised no one has gone after Iheanacho. People might say he just had a purple patch, but his goal scoring record was rather good before leaving City as well. 

8 hours ago, whats happening said:

because our board does not want to get rejected.

thank god we are not playing a lone st formation.

3-4-3/3-4-2-1 isn't a lone st formation? I think people still fails to realize Martinez isn't a no.9 and more like second striker ala Werner, Havertz, Dybala, Griezmann, and Felix.

Edited by Blues Forever

Look at this from Tuchel's perspective. 

He just delivered major success. And club now wants to give him back in transfer window. I imagine he said to them that he wants a top striker. 

So club look around and see Lewandowski, Haaland, Kane, Lukaku... Say what you want about Rom but he is top5 rated strikers in Europe... 

Do people really think TT cares about things mentioned like no resale value, price etc... Considering history, what are the odds he'll be here in 2 years? So if other top strikers are not available for different reasons I think he'll be perfectly happy with Lukaku because he wants someone who will give him goals. People attack the board and say if we can't get Haaland don't sign anyone but that would actually be major 'fuck you' in Tuchel's face. 

Tuchel wants top striker now and he don't care about 99% things mentioned on here. It's clubs job to deliver it to him. 

Signing Lukaku would literally be Torres 2.0. I remember desperately not wanting Chelsea to sign him, you knew it was train wreck from the beginning. This is what it feels like with Lukaku. He is simply not good enough for a possession heavy team and a top PL side, and most opposition will stack the box and give us little counter opportunities and the space for him to run into. The worst part of the Torres signing, was that we were also linked with Sergio Aguero at the time. Not only was our signing a bust, but the player that escaped us went on to become one of the best strikers in the PL.

Hope history doesn’t repeat itself.

The thing that really puts me off Lukaku is his attitude.. Like how he feels he is entitled to a starting spot no matter what.. Isn't that why he left in the first place? Because of the competition? 

And also he's loving life in Inter and I feel he wouldnt be as happy here.

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

Look at this from Tuchel's perspective. 

He just delivered major success. And club now wants to give him back in transfer window. I imagine he said to them that he wants a top striker. 

So club look around and see Lewandowski, Haaland, Kane, Lukaku... Say what you want about Rom but he is top5 rated strikers in Europe... 

Do people really think TT cares about things mentioned like no resale value, price etc... Considering history, what are the odds he'll be here in 2 years? So if other top strikers are not available for different reasons I think he'll be perfectly happy with Lukaku because he wants someone who will give him goals. People attack the board and say if we can't get Haaland don't sign anyone but that would actually be major 'fuck you' in Tuchel's face. 

Tuchel wants top striker now and he don't care about 99% things mentioned on here. It's clubs job to deliver it to him. 

Sorry mate but why would we want to look this from Tuchel's perspective ... It is Chelsea FC not Tuchel FC. We need to support the manager (which we have more or else supported) and all but Club would want to look this from long term angle ... yes your right, given our history Tuchel might not be around for next 2 years but Lukaku would be and the club would have to fund his massive wages ... If he comes in now, end of contract would be at 33 (assuming that is the normal deal) and we might not be able to sell him off if he doesnt turn up. 

Even if we are after Lukaku which I still have doubts Inter owe money to United so to get them to sell I think Chelsea would need to pay 120m-130m and I just don’t see Chelsea paying that for a 28 year old with no resale value.

6 hours ago, Tomo said:

I could maybe have been strong armed into seeing the positive side of this if he didn't have an ego the size of Russia.

I fear at one point it will become painfully clear we are a better team with Havertz at false 9 and we will either keep playing Rom despite the detriment to the team or drop him which will be a nightmare for dressing room morale given his track record of wanting the silver spoon, not sure which would be worse.

Tomo, I respect a lot of your opinions, but I think you are being too harsh on Lukaku. I get some of the scrutiny about us signing him, however his goal record each season is fantastic. I remember you actually thought he would struggle in Italy due to the way the football was played over there and to be fair to him, he has bossed that league easily. Having an ego is not always a bad thing unless you are willing to put 100% into your football and that is what Lukaku does.

Let's face it he did not want to fight for his place when he was here but that was how many years ago? A near decade or so right? And let's face it, he probably has come out better and turned out to be one of the best strikers around. I can see why Tuchel wants him tbh. He has all the physical tools and pace. His technique has also improved as well. Conte literally developed his game, past couple seasons.

I agree that Havertz can become a top false no.9, but at the same time do I think there will be games where a natural no.9 costs us? I think there will.

I also see no reason why Havertz can not flourish playing of Lukaku. Lukaku as proved last season is not just pure goals. He was joint highest in the assist table or so, I am sure.

Also if you look at Lewa's goal record at his age, Lukaku for me still has another good 4 years or so in him. His fitness record is brilliant and rarely ever gets injured. The age thing is not a worry for me. Haaland would be first choice for most but looking at our goalscoring troubles last season, I get why Tuchel wants Lukaku. He scores goals with his left, right and header and is clinical as they come. I think he would be a monster here personally. At United, I think he was a good striker who had flaws. Now I believe he is a world class striker. He was completely unstoppable last season and fired Inter to their first league title in how long? He deserves a lot more credit from people imo.

4 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

The irony of a large bulk of the forum moaning for the past couple of weeks about how the club has no ambition and is throwing Tuchel under the bus by not buying players or addressing weaknesses. Now the club are reportedly looking to make a huge bid for someone and near enough everyone is against it.

Well to be fair...it's probably driven by frustration too.

No 'real' news about the club seriously going in for Haaland, and then all of a sudden the club seems ready to move mountain and earth to get Lukaku of all players

That's ironic in itself.

Edited by Blue Armour

12 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Well to be fair...it's probably driven by frustration too.

No 'real' news about the club seriously going in for Haaland, and then all of a sudden the club seems ready to move mountain and earth to get Lukaku of all playits.

That's ironic in itself.

Especially given all the reputable journos keep mentioning Roman wants Haaland at all cost. Moving to Lukaku means Roman isn't prepared to pay more than £150m to get Haaland.

Edited by Blues Forever

2 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Signing Lukaku would literally be Torres 2.0. I remember desperately not wanting Chelsea to sign him, you knew it was train wreck from the beginning. This is what it feels like with Lukaku. He is simply not good enough for a possession heavy team and a top PL side, and most opposition will stack the box and give us little counter opportunities and the space for him to run into. The worst part of the Torres signing, was that we were also linked with Sergio Aguero at the time. Not only was our signing a bust, but the player that escaped us went on to become one of the best strikers in the PL.

Hope history doesn’t repeat itself.

Even as someone who desperately doesn't want him that is far too much, the Torres we had was the worst striker in the league. As much as I am not in favour in Rom here he will have his uses.

18 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Lukaku has an eye for the goal and does score consistently I'll give you that but he isn't anywhere near as clinical you make it sound, Belgium went out because of his miss. If we take the penalties out in his 2 seasons at Inter he is averaging a goal every 2 matches, that really isn't that impressive, Tammy more of less can do the same in the premier league, in terms of hold up play Lukaku barely edges Abraham, touch just as poor and both can assist from time to time but again nothing impressive since most are easy assists so what's the point of spending 100 millions on him. Think Lukaku has scored over 20 non penalty league goals in a season just once in his whole career, nothing impressive again.

Lukaku's hold up play is a lot better than Tammy's. That was evident last season. Yes he missed chances for Belgium against Italy but he still scored goals at the tournament. Kane was not clinical. Mbappe wasn't. It happens. Like I say if you saw Lukaku last season, it is no way you can say his hold up play did not improve hugely. It did.

45 minutes ago, Stats said:

Tomo, I respect a lot of your opinions, but I think you are being too harsh on Lukaku. I get some of the scrutiny about us signing him, however his goal record each season is fantastic. I remember you actually thought he would struggle in Italy due to the way the football was played over there and to be fair to him, he has bossed that league easily. Having an ego is not always a bad thing unless you are willing to put 100% into your football and that is what Lukaku does.

Let's face it he did not want to fight for his place when he was here but that was how many years ago? A near decade or so right? And let's face it, he probably has come out better and turned out to be one of the best strikers around. I can see why Tuchel wants him tbh. He has all the physical tools and pace. His technique has also improved as well. Conte literally developed his game, past couple seasons.

I agree that Havertz can become a top false no.9, but at the same time do I think there will be games where a natural no.9 costs us? I think there will.

I also see no reason why Havertz can not flourish playing of Lukaku. Lukaku as proved last season is not just pure goals. He was joint highest in the assist table or so, I am sure.

Also if you look at Lewa's goal record at his age, Lukaku for me still has another good 4 years or so in him. His fitness record is brilliant and rarely ever gets injured. The age thing is not a worry for me. Haaland would be first choice for most but looking at our goalscoring troubles last season, I get why Tuchel wants Lukaku. He scores goals with his left, right and header and is clinical as they come. I think he would be a monster here personally. At United, I think he was a good striker who had flaws. Now I believe he is a world class striker. He was completely unstoppable last season and fired Inter to their first league title in how long? He deserves a lot more credit from people imo.

Has much changed? He pulled exactly the same thing at United as soon as Ole came in and told him to fight for his place (who have been much better since), and I mean literally the same thing (pissed off to train with Anderlect until he got his way).

Regarding the bolded bit i will hold my hands up that he has done much better in Italy than I thought and as I pointed out in my previous post I don't deny he has his plus points but I really am not sure he fits the way Tuchel wants us to play certainly not for almost every match situation, if he came in as a horses for courses option who was used when his skillset would help in a game then I wouldn't actually be against him returning, but at that price he will be playing every single minute of any game of note and I really don't think he is that good. Also what has to he noted when it comes to me is I am that sure of Havertz as the striker I'm even relatively indifferent to the prospect of Haaland.