Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

If we struggle this season I don’t think it’ll have anything at all to do with TT’s coaching ability. He will extract the maximum out of these players I have no doubt. If it happens it’ll be because we could potentially be the only club big club in the league that doesn’t have a ruthless and clinical finisher.

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

If we struggle this season I don’t think it’ll have anything at all to do with TT’s coaching ability. He will extract the maximum out of these players I have no doubt. If it happens it’ll be because we could potentially be the only club big club in the league that doesn’t have a ruthless and clinical finisher.

Lampard extracted a top 4 finish with Kepa, Zouma, Alonso/Emerson, Willian and Tammy/Oli as regulars. Tuchel not only has huge upgrades in all those areas  (including one of the worlds best keepers, one of the best CB's of this era, arguably the worlds best young CB assuming he arrives and one of the worlds best young players) not to mention a better version of Kante (arguably the worlds best midfield) and a more mature version of Mount.

Surely it's not unreasonable to expect at the absolute minimum to avoid the same scramble we had with massively inferior players and a raw manager? The only mitigating circumstances would be a horrendous injury crisis or top 4 requiring late 70's points.

8 minutes ago, Blue Armour said:

Even if we accept that false 9 will work well, don't we need alternate options given how different teams are in the league?

How about a forward with aerial threat? We no longer have that with Giroud gone. 

I actually wanted Aguero for that role but i wouldn't be against Ings.

4 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I really don't understand why people keep on saying or implying that things will be fine as long as we get that one clinical fisher. Sure, it will help but if the others aren't scoring enough, then we won't get anywhere, certainly not in the league. Literally everyone bar Abraham last season underperformed their xG last season. Never mind the other teams, whenever we were successful in the past, it was because we had a number of players (at least 3-4) contributing a good number of goals. If we want to do something useful next season, we're gonna need those players to at least match their xG or outperform it.

On a side note, while this was in slightly different PL times, it's incredible that Mourinho managed to get us challenge for the title and just missed out narrowly back in 2013/14 when we also didn't have a consistent goalscorer back then. 

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Lampard extracted a top 4 finish with Kepa, Zouma, Alonso/Emerson, Willian and Tammy/Oli as regulars. Tuchel not only has huge upgrades in all those areas  (including one of the worlds best keepers, one of the best CB's of this era, arguably the worlds best young CB assuming he arrives and one of the worlds best young players) not to mention a better version of Kante (arguably the worlds best midfield) and a more mature version of Mount.

Surprised you did not mention the defensive disasters we had under Lampard that season. lol

Just now, Mana said:

Well United do have a better starting XI than us for the past number of seasons (and will most likely finish above us again due to what they did in this summer) so...

Not saying Ole is better than TT because TT has 1 trophy and Ole has zero, but I've given up on laughing at Ole. This "rookie" coach has beaten us more times than we beat him, and finished above us twice. People thinking we have a chance of finishing above United with this same squad...while they actually strengthened (depends if they lose Pogba or not though) is laughable.

And a large part of that was because Rashford naturally evolved from a 10 goal a season forward to a 20 goal a season one, why can't Havertz do the same?

And i love how you're so closed minded about our Bundesliga signing's improving in the second season while at the same time assuming United's signing from the very same league will hit the ground running.

As Goal has confirmed, Chelsea are hoping to convince Inter to sell Romelu Lukaku by making a hefty offer this summer. The Premier League team is willing to offer Marcos Alonso more money to the Serie A team in exchange for the forward. Chelsea believe they can take advantage of Inter's financial difficulties and believe that a great offer has them considering letting the Belgian star go

If we all believe/think that Inter and Dortmund won't sell Lukaku and Haaland respectively late in the transfer window, then we should know it by the end of this week for the latter and next week for the former if anything is going to happen.

Dortmund's season begins this weekend with the DFB Pokal and Inter's begins next weekend. The league seasons all start next week. 

9 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Surely it's not unreasonable to expect at the absolute minimum to avoid the same scramble we had with massively inferior players and a raw manager? The only mitigating circumstances would be a horrendous injury crisis or top 4 requiring late 70's points.

I actually wanted Aguero for that role but i wouldn't be against Ings.

Look where all those massive upgrades are, though. At keeper, defense, and a better Mount. As we saw once TT took over, that resulted in a much, much better defensive record.

We will likely have an excellent defense and midfield once again this coming season. But if it’s still a massive struggle and slog to score even 1 goal in most matches we’re going to once again have to fight and scrap just to finish 4th.

3 minutes ago, iceboy said:

As Goal has confirmed, Chelsea are hoping to convince Inter to sell Romelu Lukaku by making a hefty offer this summer. The Premier League team is willing to offer Marcos Alonso more money to the Serie A team in exchange for the forward. Chelsea believe they can take advantage of Inter's financial difficulties and believe that a great offer has them considering letting the Belgian star go

That's on Goal?

Saying that we can take advantage of Inter's financial difficulties is like when people keep saying Dortmund won't say no to a big money offer for Haaland, even though both are seemingly not budging at all.

And what if Lukaku really doesn't want to leave at all? All the reports are saying he's happy and settled there and it even looks that way going by his recent Twitter posts.

4 minutes ago, Jas said:

If we all believe/think that Inter and Dortmund won't sell Lukaku and Haaland respectively late in the transfer window, then we should know it by the end of this week for the latter and next week for the former if anything is going to happen.

Dortmund's season begins this weekend with the DFB Pokal and Inter's begins next weekend. The league seasons all start next week. 

Tbh I still think we can get Kane, we don't know what's gonna happen with City.

3 minutes ago, Mana said:

Because Havertz is not Rashford.

We don't know if Havertz will suddenly become a 20 goal machine. That's another "potential" or "what if". I'm just looking at what Havertz has done at Chelsea so far and it's not all that great. Anything can happen next season - yes. If Havertz becomes our goal machine, I'll be more than happy because that means we don't need to splash out or stress over Haaland.

I never said that. I don't know if Sancho will hit the ground running. But they have an extra player that has the potential to be good. Them signing Sancho is better than signing no one.

So Sancho "has the potential " to be good but Havertz doesn't? Got it!

6 minutes ago, Mana said:

Huh? Did you even bother reading the first sentences of my post or....??

Well then on the same basis, isn't Sancho being successful also a potential or what if? And *if* he's not, then they haven't strengthened atall in attack.

Edited by Tomo

43 minutes ago, Jas said:

I really don't understand why people keep on saying or implying that things will be fine as long as we get that one clinical fisher. Sure, it will help but if the others aren't scoring enough, then we won't get anywhere, certainly not in the league. Literally everyone bar Abraham last season underperformed their xG last season. Never mind the other teams, whenever we were successful in the past, it was because we had a number of players (at least 3-4) contributing a good number of goals. If we want to do something useful next season, we're gonna need those players to at least match their xG or outperform it. 

Well, if the Arsenal friendly game was any indicator, we are well on course to repeat.

The number of glaring misses from great positions was all too familiar from last season. We could've drawn the game too, because of our wastefulness.