Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

Difficult one with Lukaku because I do feel that he would probably score goals and would add physicality to our attack which is what we are lacking (and unlike Giroud, it's a mobile physical threat). If he prayed on the 12 - 14 teams at the other end of the league I don't have a huge problem with that because that seems to be our achilles heel being able to find a way past some of these teams and if he scored goals against those teams to win the large bulk of those games we wouldn't be far off challenging.

But he is a bloody frustrating player. Lukaku will never be the second coming of Drogba in his all round game, nowhere close. And like others have said, his attitude leaves a lot to be desired, his big game record is fairly poor and his price tag and status in the squad will make him difficult to drop if things aren't going well.

If the club is that desperate to get rid of Tammy and add a striker just to change things up, I'd rather we brought someone like Ings who isn't going to end up being a noose around the club's neck for the next 4 - 5 years. 

Even when we're talking Haaland, a transfer fee like this and huge wages and agent fees to boot - it's such a huge risk if it doesn't work out.

1 hour ago, Blues Forever said:

Agree, for example Aubameyang is only 32 but pretty much already in decline since last year.

yep. started to slow down as he approached 31yo

if same things happen with Lukaku, we are dumping out what will likely be £120/130m (WELL over £200m when salary and fees/add-ons are tossed in) for 2 prime years, 3 max, and a rapid decline with fuckall for resale value

shit business that is

I don’t get why we don’t just offer to buy Haaland and loan him back to Dortmund for the season. Everyone wins. Dortmund keep him for one more season AND get to sell him for £150m, we get out player and his manager + old man are happy. 

19 hours ago, Azul said:

It's August 2nd, and the fringe players are still here. Not only that, but we haven't signed anyone. 

It's starting to look like the 2015 summer and 2017 summer. Whenever we win a big prize, we sit back and take our time with signing big players. We should be going all out right now, instead of panic buying at the end of the transfer market.

Couldn't be any more different. We still have 3 deadwood from the 2017 summer we haven't cleared out!

Azpi is basically 32 (in 25 days)

Tuchel doesn't rate Reece at RWB

and now we have sold a potential super RWB for peanuts (and with a goddamn $40m buy-back!) in Livramento

utterly failed at Hakimi (in retrospective we always were going to fail)

if you slide Reece to RCB

our fullbacks/wingbacks, other than Chillwell, are

Azpi at 32yo, who offers little on offence

reserve team/loanee player for years Dujon Sterling

Zappadappafuckingcosta (surely loaned or sold)

Alonso (and we are desperately trying to sell him)

Emerson (see Alonso and take it down a notch in quality)

and the 'why the hell is he still here'  Baba

so is it really going to be CHO at wingback a lot?

I am just seething over Livramento

http://sportwitness.co.uk/Chelsea-continue-to-insist-on-signing-chiefs-fear-they-could-hardly-say-no-to-official-offer-from-blues/

According to Belgium's Het Nieuwsblad, the club could make one final attempt for Lukaku with a potential offer of around €130 million. The club would try to make room by selling Abraham and Batshuayi ASAP (not sure if they mean raising funds by selling them or make space in the squad by selling them).

But even if Inter accept that bid, it'll come down to whether Lukaku is willing to move given that he's happy and all in Milan. 

1 minute ago, Jas said:

http://sportwitness.co.uk/Chelsea-continue-to-insist-on-signing-chiefs-fear-they-could-hardly-say-no-to-official-offer-from-blues/

According to Belgium's Het Nieuwsblad, the club could make one final attempt for Lukaku with a potential offer of around €130 million. The club would try to make room by selling Abraham and Batshuayi ASAP (not sure if they mean raising funds by selling them or make space in the squad by selling them).

But even if Inter accept that bid, it'll come down to whether Lukaku is willing to move given that he's happy and all in Milan. 

well well, if he reject us then Danny Ings is coming LOL 

18 minutes ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

I don’t get why we don’t just offer to buy Haaland and loan him back to Dortmund for the season. Everyone wins. Dortmund keep him for one more season AND get to sell him for £150m, we get out player and his manager + old man are happy. 

That makes absolutely no sense to clubs from a financial perspective, other than making sure you have the player in your books. Why would they agree to 150 million now, especially during this pandemic, but don't get to reap the benefits immediately? Why do that when you only have to pay half of that money next year?

And from the player's perspective, why would Haaland want to get stuck at Dortmund for another season if he's gonna commit to another club this summer? Imagine if that club go on and win a major trophy while Haaland doesn't get anything because he's stuck at Dortmund. Am sure he would rather just stay there for one more year and then have the club of his choosing in 2022.

I think it's really arrogant for people to think a player like Lukaku is somehow beneath the level of Chelsea as a club, and that the club should be entitled to have a Haaland, Lewandowski or whoever of that caliber.

Lukaku these days is a really good player and I know I'm quite alone with my opinion but I'd really like to see him back if/when Haaland is out of reach. Aside from the very top few strikers in the world Lukaku is about as quaranteed as can be to score +20 goals a season in the PL. Yes he's not a perfect player and yes he has his flaws, but the fact still remains the club desperately need a top class striker and Lukaku fits the bill. I for one am not confident at all about landing Haaland even next year when every top club on Earth will have a go at him.

I've said before that I'm willing to see out the coming season with the current set of players and hope they (especially Werner) can improve in front of goal enough to stay competitive, but that was always assuming Lukaku is off the table as well. If Haaland, Lewandowski etc. are out of the question but Lukaku is within reach, I say go for it.

3 minutes ago, Jype said:

I think it's really arrogant for people to think a player like Lukaku is somehow beneath the level of Chelsea as a club, and that the club should be entitled to have a Haaland, Lewandowski or whoever of that caliber.

Lukaku these days is a really good player and I know I'm quite alone with my opinion but I'd really like to see him back if/when Haaland is out of reach. Aside from the very top few strikers in the world Lukaku is about as quaranteed as can be to score +20 goals a season in the PL. Yes he's not a perfect player and yes he has his flaws, but the fact still remains the club desperately need a top class striker and Lukaku fits the bill. I for one am not confident at all about landing Haaland even next year when every top club on Earth will have a go at him.

I've said before that I'm willing to see out the coming season with the current set of players and hope they (especially Werner) can improve in front of goal enough to stay competitive, but that was always assuming Lukaku is off the table as well. If Haaland, Lewandowski etc. are out of the question but Lukaku is within reach, I say go for it.

For me, its nothing to do with the player himself, its all to do with the cost and the return on investment. If we are going to invest that money, is it beyond us to stretch to Haaland? I would honestly roll into the season with Kai and a £25m Danny Ings, rather than invest £110/120m + players into Lukaku, who had fitness issues whilst he was not under a strict coach and will give us 2 to 3 years at the top level, possibly. Nobody doubts that he will score goals, he is a machine, but ultimately he dictates how a team must play.

20 minutes ago, Milan said:

Come on Rom, Milan is a nice city. You know you want to stay there.

😍 Il Massimo del Gelato

Via Lodovico Castelvetro, 18
20154 Milan 

Residential street near the Gerusalemme train stop

Best chocolate gelato I have ever had. They have at least 10 types of chocolate alone, or more if it they have a limited edition. Beware, it gets packed with locals at strange times, so you may have a wee wait.

https://www.ilmassimodelgelato.it/

10 soorten chocolade ijs! - Picture of Il Massimo del Gelato, Milan -  TripadvisorIl Massimo del Gelato Gelateria Milano - MilanoMia.comhd-massimo-gelato-9-1030x687.jpg

Edited by Vesper

39 minutes ago, Dazzy_Vance said:

insane risk on a £300m deal

This idea that Lukaku would/could feast against smaller teams in the league seems like wishful thinking honestly. Those are the very teams that will park the double decker against us and totally negate Lukaku’s biggest strengths.

Ironically, it’s against the bigger teams that also like to press high and force the issue like we do that I can see him bossing. Having both Werner and Lukaku bursting at any defense would be scary.

But for well north of 100m it just feels wrong. If it was £70m I’d reluctantly say that’s fair. Or if he were 22 instead of 28.

12 minutes ago, DH1988 said:

For me, its nothing to do with the player himself, its all to do with the cost and the return on investment. If we are going to invest that money, is it beyond us to stretch to Haaland?

Impossible to say without having taken part in the discussions...

IF it's true that Dortmund would only sell Haaland this year for €200M then it's absolutely crazy money compared to anything Lukaku would go for. Not only would the transfer fee itself be €70-80M more, but also taking into account Raiola and Haaland dad's ridiculous agent fees the difference would easily be a lot more than €100M. We also don't know the wages Haaland would command, earlier there were some silly rumors about him being after a minimum of £400-450K/wk which would no doubt also be 50-100% more than Lukaku's wage.

Don't get me wrong, I would absolutely love having Haaland and I'm sure the club would too. It's been widely reported that Haaland has always been the club's number one target for this summer, so if the transfer doesn't happen then it was clearly never a realistic signing to begin with and the club have abandoned the pursuit because it's either not financially viable or Dortmund just really don't want to sell. If Haaland is off the table, Lukaku is a great alternative.