Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

59 minutes ago, DDA said:

I honestly think its a cause for concern. He just isn't clinical enough to play uptop alone and if we partner him with a second striker, as you mentioned it causes all kinds of headaches with relying soley on the wing backs for width. If we do that, then we need to ensure we have serious backup if James or Chilly are injured again.

I think it's easy to forget how young Havertz is and that he will continue to develop. He has looked significantly better this season than last which is the first good sign and I think that has a lot to do with (1) becoming more accustomed to the league and (2) Tuchel having a clearer idea of how to use him than Lamps did.

His goal record in Germany suggests he will be a good source of goals throughout his career and some of his goals here have shown the technique and class that I think the likes of Werner and Pulisic struggle to show.

In the current system the striker role is his best. Maybe in a back 4 formation he could operate deeper as an 8 or 10 but that would depend on Tuchels overall plans.

I think if havertz played as first choice through the season up front he'd be capable of 12-15 goals. If Mount can get something similar which he's roughly at already and we can find another player that offers the same we won't be far off. City have shown in recent times you don't need 1 player bagging 20+ but are better positioned with 3 or 4 getting 10-15.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think it's easy to forget how young Havertz is and that he will continue to develop. He has looked significantly better this season than last which is the first good sign and I think that has a lot to do with (1) becoming more accustomed to the league and (2) Tuchel having a clearer idea of how to use him than Lamps did.

His goal record in Germany suggests he will be a good source of goals throughout his career and some of his goals here have shown the technique and class that I think the likes of Werner and Pulisic struggle to show.

In the current system the striker role is his best. Maybe in a back 4 formation he could operate deeper as an 8 or 10 but that would depend on Tuchels overall plans.

I think if havertz played as first choice through the season up front he'd be capable of 12-15 goals. If Mount can get something similar which he's roughly at already and we can find another player that offers the same we won't be far off. City have shown in recent times you don't need 1 player bagging 20+ but are better positioned with 3 or 4 getting 10-15.

He has looked better at times, but for me he goes missing too often in too many games. I'm just struggling to see how he fits into the system if we are actively looking for a striker/winger. If he does play the deeper role, then surely we have to sacrifice either Mount or even maybe Gallagher... I think Gallagher will become a very important player for us, I really do. If he can match the output in his first half of the season shown at Palace... then he will instantly offer more in the midfield than Havertz. I also do not like Havertz on the wing whatsoever. He just doesn't have the agility to play there if we are to compete with the big dogs. I hope TT can work this out because obviously there is a fantastic player in Havertz... just intrigued to see how and where he plays in this team.

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I think its bold claiming he has looked significantly better this season. He's better no doubt but still as inconsistent as last season. 

Virtually no excuses this next season. 

Bearing in mind the first half of last season Lampard moved him around multiple positions and towards the end of his tenure havertz barely looked a pub player, I would say he looks significantly better than that yes.

He's far from the finished article and does need consistency because he dropped levels towards the end of the season (although a number of players did). But he also missed large chunks of last season either as backup to lukaku or through injury/illness. I believe next season if he's first choice in the 9 role he'll get 12-15 goals which I think is a good return so long as others also contribute.

As long as donkeyaku isn't in the picture, we could have quite a fluid attack if we played 4231 with mason at 10 and Puli/Ziyech on the wings. Werner can do this role as well if he learns how to work in tight spaces. CHO is built for this. The double pivot that has been failing us will be more protected by the wingers and 10 by the press. It also means less strain on Chilwells knee and Reeces hamstrings as the team would not be so reliant on them to provide width.

This all depends on the types of defenders we sign. We would need at least two starter CBs to challenge as Silva needs to have his minutes managed, and that allows Colwill to have a loan in the prem to prove himself. We would also have to sign backup fullbacks instead of wingbacks. We have been so reliant on 3 atb because Alonso could not play in any other system. Although we missed out on perisic, it may be for the best if we decide to go 4 atb next season.

50 minutes ago, Hashishi said:

We already have a pulisic...

Yeah...true.

I mean, unless we are signing an attacker that we know has serious potential to lead the Chelsea attack and not just be a supporting member, I don't see the point. Because we have plenty of those. 

Would be more interested in seeing how Havertz and Mount develop next year, rather than any attacker we are currently linked with.

The main draw of Dembele to me is the potential of a free transfer. For his level of talent, that sounds good. Doubt he is going to be the solution to our problems though 

10 hours ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I think its bold claiming he has looked significantly better this season. He's better no doubt but still as inconsistent as last season. 

Virtually no excuses this next season. 

I think this comes under the heading 'firm, but fair.'

11 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I could not disagree with you more on this. Until someone brings me incontrovertible evidence that Marina made any decisions on football grounds I will not believe it. For her to have done so would be ridiculous beyond farce. The very notion is silly and I don't understand why it persists.

If Marina has an opinion on a given player then of course she might give it casually but the ultimate football decision is not her domain. Advising Roman and the football people of the cost of the best deal available and of its financial implications going forward; yes, whether that player is the right choice; not her job. Armed with the financial facts the final decision over whether or not to allocate x% of their budget to a particular signing has to have been between Roman and his football advisors.

So, what does MG do exactly then other than number crunch like any basic accountant can do? According to this logic, she doesn't have any say on footballing decisions nor does she have enough power on the financial side to kill moves, all she does is crunch the numbers like a bookkeeper straight out of Uni or the stay at home parent seeking a bit of part-time work. That consequently means she is either a dancing monkey or at best a figurehead to be shot down.

Personally, I don't think she is either and is in fact someone with power, agruably the person who had/has the most power outside of RA/TB which consequently means responsibility. Therefore, if she does have the responsibility of signing off deals and running the clubs strategy from a financial perspective, then she should have the power to kill off deal that either make no financial sense or are bad financial moves. 

Thus, I really don't see how she can be absolved from serious blame as:

A) in my scenario since she is a person with power, who has made some bad mistakes.

Or; 

B ) in your senario she is a person without power and does what she is told and goes along with it. 

Either way, it isn't a good look and I would argue my thoughts actually make her look better. 

Edited by King Kante

2 hours ago, milka said:

Dembele to Chelsea yes or no

Great potential with many injuries like Pulisic 

Big no. If we look at the totality of his time at Barca he has pretty much been an absolute disaster who has stole a living for 4.2 years with poor attitude to training and diet. Personally, all I see in his past 8 months is someone trying to earn their next fat contract. 

Dembele on a free is a no brainer. 

If he really sucks - you can recoup for a sell fee. He is not that bad to even get to that point. He can be a massive gamechanger with his speed and technique alone coming into a game. 

Everyone should just assume that it’s probably 95% likely Rom will still be playing for Chelsea next season. Feels like literally the only chance we have of sending him to Inter is if we give them a shit load of cash for Lautaro which they then turn around and use on Lukaku.