Chelsea Transfers

Tomo

On 02/11/2021 at 01:08, King Kante said:

I was telling everyone [Lukaku] was still a the same player as he was at Utd when we were linked but they obviously got carried away by some Youtube videos or simply don't understand football. Insane transfer with the money he cost, his age and wage. 

I read posts in the summer about special training Antonio had put on to help Rom improve his touch, and about how these sessions had produced a miraculous transformation. I tried to get people to understand that the mere fact that the sessions were even necessary at the age of 28 simply proved how right I was in 2011 when I said Rom's touch would never improve. That's the point. I wasn't saying last summer that Rom's touch would be the same in 2021, I was saying that a decade ago.

This isn't because of any genius predictive powers on my part. It's simply that I accept a reality which many people can't buy into. Namely that players cannot improve their basic talent level. The Messi argument is irrefutable. If players can improve their basic levels then why doesn't everyone simply practice until they're as good as Leo? The truth is that if you ain't got it, you ain't got it.

Now, just because Rom lacks some things does not mean that he lacks everything. Think for example of the beautiful second goal against Villa. Minimal back lift with perfect timing to turn the keeper into a spectator and smack the ball into the net. Wonderful play. Evidence that, as you point out, there are situations where Rom can be a weapon. Whatever points we choose to make here, at Stamford Bridge and elsewhere, Chelsea fans have everything to gain and nothing to lose by being100% behind the player.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

People really need to cool it with writing Lukaku off as a mistake already. You wouldn’t write off Kane who’s having a miserable season or Messi who hasn’t done a thing at PSG yet just because they’re in a rough patch.

I’d give him a whole season before truly judging him. Plus, we can be 100% sure he isn’t a player like Morata or Torres who will mentally collapse if things are going poorly. He’s got that killer mentality from Inter and will be determined to fight through poor form.

40 minutes ago, Pizy said:

People really need to cool it with writing Lukaku off as a mistake already. You wouldn’t write off Kane who’s having a miserable season or Messi who hasn’t done a thing at PSG yet just because they’re in a rough patch.

I’d give him a whole season before truly judging him. Plus, we can be 100% sure he isn’t a player like Morata or Torres who will mentally collapse if things are going poorly. He’s got that killer mentality from Inter and will be determined to fight through poor form.

Finally a sane post...

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

Not saying your notion is necessarily wrong but you're comparing players who are going through poor spells for different reasons.

3 hours ago, Pizy said:

Unfortunately Lukaku is a known quantity. This isn't like a Harvetz/Salah/KdB etc situation where they were young boys and needed time to acclimatise. Furthermore, this isn't even a Werner sort of situation where you should allow someone time to adapt as they've no experience of the league. 

Lukaku is 28 and has plenty of experience of the PL. He is as close of a plug and play type of signing as you can get. What people such as myself and @OhForAGreavsie are saying is that the level that we're getting out of Lukaku is what we said his level would be due to his technical limitations. The kind of performances you're seeing is what his level is and he hasn't ever shown anything else apart from a rare performance/moment here or there. 

What happened this Summer however was a lot of people drunk the Koolaid and thought that Conte had performed some sort of voodoo magic spell and transformed his technique. As @OhForAGreavsie says, it didn't take a stroke of genius to know this was nonsense. 

I mean even his stats weren't that great as in Serie A even 39/40 year old Zlatan, who only has one knee now, was posting similar stats to him (and he was in a worse team) whilst this season Giroud on a minute to minute basis is also outperforming him and Giroud doesn't even take penos. 

Still think Rom hits 20 PL goals by seasons end. The question has to be whether we can win the PL with him as our primary striker and I think the answer is yes as long as the team around him maintains the level we see now.

Would I prefer a different sort of striker? Probably so. But it’s not like we had many options. 

34 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Still think Rom hits 20 PL goals by seasons end. The question has to be whether we can win the PL with him as our primary striker and I think the answer is yes as long as the team around him maintains the level we see now.

Would I prefer a different sort of striker? Probably so. But it’s not like we had many options. 

I think you're right that Rom can contribute. Though he is now a little off the pace for 20 PL goals this season it's not impossible for him to catch up. In any case, 18, 19 or 20 goals is not likely to be the deal breaker for our title hopes. I would not have signed Rom and was disappointed when we did but he's far from a 0/10 player.

25 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I think you're right that Rom can contribute. Though he is now a little off the pace for 20 PL goals this season it's not impossible for him to catch up. In any case, 18, 19 or 20 goals is not likely to be the deal breaker for our title hopes. I would not have signed Rom and was disappointed when we did but he's far from a 0/10 player.

Rom is a poison to our team, the issue is not individual performances. I could live with that like Werner, Zyich, Havertz, Pulisic, Mount, etc when they have bad games. But they still do their individual assignments and general play to make sure their performances does not spill over to the team. Rom is a huge detriment to the team. 

I hope Tuchel gives him the Chilwell treatment, even though Chilly did nothing to lose his spot. I hope to see Tuchel make Lukaku earn his starting spot.

btw he is on pace to score around 11 goals, he has 3 goals with 1/4 season in the book. 

Edited by Clockwork

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

No way is he getting 20 PL goals. He'd be lucky to get 15. 

6 hours ago, Pizy said:

My opinion of Rom is not something I have mustered up over night. I didn't want him to return in 2016 or 2017, i just simply don't like his overall game.

I'm not saying he's completely useless and there will be games where he will be useful. If he was being utilised in that way I wouldn't have that huge an issue but he's literally playing every game he's avaliable for even when  the false 9 is more suitable to a certain game (City prime example).

2 hours ago, ulvhedin said:

Charlie Musonda confirmed he is leaving at the end of the season. Good luck for him. One deadwood less on the books.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CV0wTDztvVR/

They are in dire need to rebuild their CBs and defence. If Kane is leaving they will want to address multiple positions. Add to that Levy never wants to do business with us.