The Tuchel Thread

Jase

Some of your are overreacting man, like you were expecting us to move mountains ffs just beacuse TT came in. This is a young team in a very fucked up season, in comes TT, have us 2nd behind city in points collected, best defence, most chances created or close to it, have everyone fighting the same battle, harmony in the squad, have the stinking FA on his back since day 1, got us to 2 finals etc........like for real have some patience man.

Obviously nobody wanted to be finishing only fourth this season but in January that didn't even look possible with Frank so lets not hide behind the truth.

Getting fourth whilst stated at the beginning of the season originally would be an underachievement, we got there and got to 2 finals so to say its not an improvement on last season would be lying also. 

We have improved considerably under Tuchel. This was always going to be tough to gauge an actual achievement this season because of the unrealistically low expectations with Frank in all fairness, 4th last season was seen as a major achievement despite finishing 3rd the season before with 80-85% of the same squad. Not to mention being like 12 points clear of United IIRC last season by December time and they end up leapfrogging us.

But getting this group to two major finals on top of getting to 4th either way, considering the dysfunctional team with no real structure when under Frank, its a clear sign of progress. Yes its not enough for some people and ultimately I still think the players have a lot of blame for not winning the FA cup, plus today and the Arsenal games also showing the fact this squad/team still needs more and can do much more also.

The summer be interesting but the majority of what I have seen with Tuche so far, there is clear signs there and an opportunity with some additions that we can likely be the closest challenges to City next season (my personal opinion if we stick with 343 and add say 3 top top players we will be very close). 

33 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Some of your are overreacting man, like you were expecting us to move mountains ffs just beacuse TT came in. This is a young team in a very fucked up season, in comes TT, have us 2nd behind city in points collected, best defence, most chances created or close to it, have everyone fighting the same battle, harmony in the squad, have the stinking FA on his back since day 1, got us to 2 finals etc........like for real have some patience man.

Amen brother.

21 minutes ago, Alabama said:

Lol...cant believe some are calling for Tuchel head here....wow this is beyond ridiculous....I will avoid this place now....no wonder they hate us...

No way... who on Earth would call for this guys head. He is a class coach... I personally love what he is doing here and can't wait for next season.

24 minutes ago, Alabama said:

Lol...cant believe some are calling for Tuchel head here....wow this is beyond ridiculous....I will avoid this place now....no wonder we are called plastic fans...

The fans on The Athletic are reacting even worse. lol Here is alright apart from 1-2 people.

Some people need to let things settle down. It was a spluttered end to the season but I don't think it should be forgotten where Chelsea were when Tuchel came in. If we had been offered this "back door" entrance into the top 4 back then we'd all have taken it and been delighted with it.

Tuchel has taken 9 more points than Lampard did in the first half of the season and has easily had a much harder set of games to do that in where we've got some superb results (Liverpool away, City away, West Ham away, Spurs away).

He's taken a group which are goal shy and done what was needed to be done to get us to our targets, making us extremely well organised and drilled, but without just playing a defensive brand of football. 

I personally am looking forward to Tuchel having a summer now to assess the squad and the holes that need filling, alongside a pre season and the early stages of the season when games aren't as thick and fast giving him more time to work on the training ground with the team. For all we know he may have an idea of playing a back 4 next season and being a bit more open to try and be more dangerous in front of goal, but his experience and tactical nous is definitely the main reason why we're in the top 4 again this season.

He's hardly going to get a 5 year extension, I think the club will give him another 12 months extension on his contract and keep things relatively short term but also add a bit more security to Tuchel, and to be honest he's earned it.

Long extensions on contacts tend to be the kiss of death..

A lot of work to be done still but we knew this. Doesn't help some of the players who should be having a impact really aren't but something he has time to sort at least.

Hopefully next season can have someone in the top 25 for golden Boot! 

In fluid, chaotic games, TT teams have always looked out of their depth and lacked composure. situations like today which you can plan for but when they happend you need guys on the pitch to cool things down have never produced the best in TT teams.

I dont really like how our performances have dropped after we beat City at the Etihad. Probalby fatigue and injury have played a part but boy have we looked terribly at times. Leicester home theonly decent game in that span. TT deserves another go but yeah, probably delay extension for a bit.

This.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I think the club will give him another 12 months extension on his contract and keep things relatively short term but also add a bit more security to Tuchel, and to be honest he's earned it.

Last thing we would want is for uncertainty to start "floating" about and Tuchel gets asked every week about his future. Give him an additional year and if he wants more, make him earn it. Dangle that carrot in front of him.

Just now, Mana said:

Can you point to the posts that are calling for TT's head? Like TUCHEL OUT!

Although I stand by the posts that said, do not extend his contract until we see where we are in January. As it stands, he does not deserve a payrise. He got us out of jail for 4th place (JUST!) but that isn't enough to warrant an extension.

Am not talking with respect to contract am less concern about that...let the management sort that out...

51 minutes ago, Jas said:

This.

Last thing we would want is for uncertainty to start "floating" about and Tuchel gets asked every week about his future. Give him an additional year and if he wants more, make him earn it. Dangle that carrot in front of him.

It protects the club too. 

People are saying he doesn't deserve an extension (to which I disagree) but do we want him knocking it out of the park in the early months of next season in the last year of his contract? Because like players, he would then hold all the power. Or what's to stop another of the big teams casting their eye over him like Madrid, Barca, Juve for example.

As I said give him 12 months, and that can be reviewed every season. A contract no more than 2 years long doesn't leave us in an awkward position if we want to change but also doesn't leave us in a precarious position to lose him.

If Tuchel won all PL games we would have same points as City but 2nd on goal difference. For me 2nd, 3rd and 4th place is the same. No title but CL.  So he possible could not do any better in the league even if we got that 10+ points we stupidly lost. Would not make any difference.

He's going to have to start setting us up differently next season. His current approach will be enough to grind out narrow wins but far too many games we're walking on a tightrope.  That will mentally wear players down over a whole season.

Keeper, three at the back, two wingbacks and two holding midfielders is way too negative and leaves us with just three attack minded players, which clearly isn't enough.

Anything can happen in the Cups, but in the league I would only just about give him a pass, and I have to add that I haven't enjoyed watching many of our games under him.

He's got a year left on his contract, so I think they should let him see that out and have another talk this time next year. Also, i honestly cant see us putting up a title challenge next season either, so I don't see him lasting more than another year anyway. Just too much work  needed on this squad over the next couple of years, but we know Roman don't give him that time.

If he can start clearing out the deadwood and maybe win a trophy along the way, then it'll be a decent job done. The clearing should start with Jorgi and Kovacic asp this summer. As with Kepa, I dont care how much of a hit we take, just sell them for whatever we can get. 

4 hours ago, Jas said:

It is something that definitely needs addressing. 

It's ironic that under Tuchel, we've pretty much made the top 4 by taking points off everybody around us to make the ground up. It's easy to be critical of the last week or two but ultimately we're in the top 4 because Tuchel's record against the other big teams has been exceptional, and that form has also extended to Europe too. I believe the only team in the top 7 that we didn't beat was United who we drew with, and 4 of the 6 were away games.

Our problems seem to be against teams lower down the table which is actually where Lampard was excelling, but couldn't seem to beat anybody in the top half of the table. Home draws with Brighton and Wolves, home loss to West Brom, away draws to Southampton and Leeds. These are the games we need to be picking 3 points up if we're to challenge for the title. 

I don't know whether that means a different approach to games against teams like this compared to teams towards the top of the table. For example is this group flexible and competent enough to regularly change between a back 4 and back 5? I think when we've been chasing games and changed to a back 4 at times we've not looked great. But maybe this is simply Tuchel needing more time on the training pitch to fine tune this. and our attacking patterns.