The Tuchel Thread

Jase

I have a real feeling if we can play like that v City or even like in the previous match in the FA cup, there will only be one name going on the trophy.

Has any manager lost 2 CL finals in a row? Surely never.

Klopp lost then won it year after.

Ferguson won it then lost year after.

Surely the footballing gods have got to let him win it after last season...  🤣 

Edited by OneMoSalah

29 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I have a real feeling if we can play like that v City or even like in the previous match in the FA cup, there will only be one name going on the trophy.

I wonder if Guardiola will try to be a tad more pragmatic in the final. Can't imagine him leaving City getting exposed so much on the break.

And with us facing them this weekend, this could turn into some sort of chess match between Guardiola and Tuchel, in the bigger picture.

hace 3 minutos, Jas dijo:

I wonder if Guardiola will try to be a tad more pragmatic in the final. Can't imagine him leaving City getting exposed so much on the break.

And with us facing them this weekend, this could turn into some sort of chess match between Guardiola and Tuchel, in the bigger picture.

Aye I think it will end up that alway to be honest. 

Suppose we have to maybe keep an eye out now see how the season unfolds now over these next few weeks prior to the final.

They've sealed the league so lets hope they have a drop off.

I wonder if Franks sitting at home thinking this team is still not ready to be contenders also. Hate to say it but he seriously underestimated how having the right mentality can spur a team on as much as tactics or players. Like I said in the match thread, that performance was only 2/3 goals off one of the best European performances I have seen from us, ever. Not even overstating it. Like if that game finished 3/4/5-0 nobody would have batted an eyelid.

Edited by OneMoSalah

34 minutes ago, Jas said:

I think he will and I think it will be our advantage. Usually when Pep starts to tinker with his team for a big game it all falls apart

Absolutely incredible what he has done since joining the club. I was sceptical about appointing him due to the bridges seemingly burned at Dortmund and PSG but he comes across so well, and I think certainly compared to PSG there's a better structure in place here for him.

Very few managers talk so positively about their team in public. He said we'd be a team no one wants to play against and he said we were capable of winning now. He has instilled massive confidence and belief in this group and what we've already achieved this season bodes well moving forward.

If we were to win the Champions League this isn't an end of an era swansong like 2012, this could legitimately be the first of multiple over the next few years. The nucleus is there and we've got a world class manager to boot.

Tuchel's tactical tinkering explained
The Telegraph

Wednesday May 5 2021

Matt Law's Chelsea briefing

Matt Law
tmg_spacer.gif

Formation changes against Fulham show head coach's desire to avoid second-season stagnation

By Matt Law,
Football News Correspondent

Thomas Tuchel dropped a hint, in the victory over Fulham, that the solution to Chelsea’s striker issue may not solely rest on signing Erling Haaland or Romelu Lukaku.

Faced with the task of keeping his squad fresh for tonight's Champions League semi-final second-leg against Real Madrid, Tuchel not only tinkered with his team but also his formation.

And sources close to Tuchel believe that he is already considering a range of potential formations for next season, as he attempts to maintain and improve the momentum built up since his arrival in January.

While Tuchel stuck with a hugely successful back three last weekend, he managed to find a way of accommodating Timo Werner and Kai Havertz as what he described as “double strikers”.

This meant that Chelsea effectively lined up in a 3-3-2-2, which, in the second half, changed to a 3-4-1-2 when Mason Mount dropped back to help Billy Gilmour anchor the midfield and Hakim Ziyech played directly behind Werner and Havertz.

While the system was tough on Gilmour in the first 45 minutes, Werner and Havertz certainly enjoyed it as the pair combined brilliantly for the second of Havertz’s two goals.

Despite an excellent display against Crystal Palace, Havertz has not looked entirely comfortable playing as a false nine on his own, while it has been obvious for some time that Werner does not flourish as a lone central striker.

Haaland or Lukaku could, of course, play on their own up front but if Chelsea don’t manage to sign either man then it seems that Tuchel is looking at other ways of bringing the best out of what he has got.

That does not mean Chelsea will not try to sign a striker if they cannot land either of their top two targets, but the signs are that Tuchel could look to vary his formation to increase his team’s attacking threat.

“In the summer we will think further on and think together with the club about what solutions are the best solutions for us,” said Tuchel last month.

“Is it the best solution to stay with our squad? Is it the best solution to stay in the formation that we have? Can we improve? Can we improve on the training pitch individually and as a group to create more big chances? These are the questions for June.”

Those who know Tuchel believe he would like to be able to play a variation of a 4-2-4 formation for certain games next season, but that may depend on whether or not Chelsea sign a new central defender who is more comfortable than their current crop in a back four.

Such a line-up would allow Tuchel to keep the two No 6s on whom he relies so heavily while playing two strikers with two advanced midfielders either side of them. Out of possession, one of the strikers, such as Havertz or Werner, could drop back.

The 4-3-3 that former head coaches Frank Lampard and Maurizio Sarri favoured has not been completely thrown out, either, and returning to that line-up for games or spells in the future has not been ruled out if Chelsea can make the right signings.

Changing his team has become a feature of Tuchel’s management so far, but the German has largely kept the same system and it has paid dividends. But, after winning the Premier League title, Chelsea became predictable in their second season under Antonio Conte and it would appear that has not gone unnoticed by the latest head coach.

Got a question on Chelsea? Get in touch on Twitter @Matt_Law_DT or by emailing [email protected]

10 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

We are very happy but still 6 games to go...

We can end up with 2 trophies and 3rd place or zero trophies and no CL. So stay focus! Most important games are coming!

This. Clutch time is still to come. We are slight favourites vs Leicester and massive outsiders vs City. Our league run-in could not be harder compared to the Spammers' so the team will have to grow even more. In the end it will also be a huge physical burden. 

3rd CL final. Grant, RDM and Tuchel. All came during the season. Even Hiddink should do it but Ovrebo stopped him. Can you blame me for not being a fan of building things for years like Klopp?

Our 3rd UCL final, but unlike the last two times I can say we have a proper tactician who massively contributed to this achievement. However everything is still up for grabs in all fronts so we shouldn't lose focus.

Edited by different level