• Willian
    • Pulisic
    • Giroud
    • Barkley (sub)
    • James (sub)
    • Hudson-Odoi (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)

9 hours ago, Jason said:

I can't believe it's come to a point where watching/thinking about Chelsea is giving me anxieties over whether we will beat a side that is already relegated. I hate 2020. This season should have been cancelled. 

Whenever Frank was interviewed during the lockdown he always put forward arguments which lent towards cancelling the remaining games. He was always careful to couch his comments in terms of player and staff safety, but I could never escape the impression that he knew ending the season then suited Chelsea just fine.

Oh well, Southampton have thrown us a quarter of a lifeline, and opened up the possibility of a nightmare scenario. It's entirely possible that we could take one win and one loss from our next two games, while Man u and Leicester take two wins. That would leave each of our rivals 2 points in front of us going into the last game of the season. With their big goal difference advantage that means a draw would be good enough for both of them in that last fixture. Can we get something at Anfield? We might need to, but it's only going to matter either way if we get the job done tomorrow.

So much negativity in here especially with our opponent's results. You all need to relax a bit. This team was never really consistent throughout the season and it was rare for us to win 2 games in a row in the PL. The Sheffield result shouldn't have come as a shock for anyone here.

As for next game, Norwich does not have a physical team compared to the standards of the league and play an open type of football which suit us. Kovacic should be back and the players will look to make up for last game's loss. Have a bit more faith.

2 minutes ago, Rapkun said:

So much negativity in here especially with our opponent's results. You all need to relax a bit. This team was never really consistent throughout the season and it was rare for us to win 2 games in a row in the PL. The Sheffield result shouldn't have come as a shock for anyone here.

Sheffield United have been good this season. Losing to them can happen but the main issue is the manner we lost to them, especially when Champions League qualification is at stake. This team don't seem capable of fighting for at least a draw on bad days. It's either we win well or lose or just lose badly. Was just looking at our league draws this season and almost, if not all felt like 2 points dropped rather than 1 point gained and since the start of last season, we've come from behind to win only 4 league games - twice against Cardiff who got relegated and once against Villa who look like they might go down. It's so depressing. When you think things are gonna be alright, this team suddenly crash and burn and disappoint all over again. Have been scarred too many times by these bad moments in the last decade or so alone. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Sheffield United have been good this season. Losing to them can happen but the main issue is the manner we lost to them, especially when Champions League qualification is at stake. This team don't seem capable of fighting for at least a draw on bad days. It's either we win well or lose or just lose badly. Was just looking at our league draws this season and almost, if not all felt like 2 points dropped rather than 1 point gained and since the start of last season, we've come from behind to win only 4 league games - twice against Cardiff who got relegated and once against Villa who look like they might go down. It's so depressing. When you think things are gonna be alright, this team suddenly crash and burn and disappoint all over again. Have been scarred too many times by these bad moments in the last decade or so alone. 

It's because we're a wildly inconsistent team. Any team outside of title challengers will go through the crazy up's and downs we do.

Remember that pre Roman team that could win 3-0 at OT but then lose 0-1 to Charlton at home? That's us right now again!

Just now, Tomo said:

It's because we're a wildly inconsistent team. Any team outside of title challengers will go through the crazy up's and downs we do.

Remember that pre Roman team that could win 3-0 at OT but then lose 0-1 to Charlton at home? That's us right now again!

It's just too much, Tomo. All those bad moments from 2010/11, 2011/12 (under AVB), 2015/16, 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20 are A LOT to take. 

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's just too much, Tomo. All those bad moments from 2010/11, 2011/12 (under AVB), 2015/16, 2017/18, 2018/19, 2019/20 are A LOT to take. 

Why do you think i keep preaching that we have to stick with this process that we started post Conte? That's our only (sustainable) way back to being regular title challengers. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

From an outside perspective, I think most would say we are far from bottlers. But we've certainly not been great either in important matches these last couple of years or so. Strictly speaking about this season, I think we're suffering from the youth and inexperience of both our players and manager. You can feel the lack of leadership in the team when our backs are against the wall, but also Frank's system makes it so that there isn't a big margin for errors. We will come up on top of most games because our talent edges it, but sometimes when we're not up for it and the opposing team has the weapons to hurt us we will get trashed like we did at Sheffield. We need to be real here, we're far from title challengers. Our expectations definitely need to be lower until the team improves in quality and experience.

6 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Whenever Frank was interviewed during the lockdown he always put forward arguments which lent towards cancelling the remaining games. He was always careful to couch his comments in terms of player and staff safety, but I could never escape the opinion that he knew ending the season then suited Chelsea just fine.

Oh well, Southampton have thrown us a quarter of a lifeline, and opened up the possibility of a nightmare scenario. It's entirely possible that we could take one win and one loss from our next two games, while Man u and Leicester take two wins. That would leave each of our rivals 2 points in front of us going into the last game of the season. With their big goal difference advantage that means a draw would be good enough for both of them in that last fixture. Can we get something at Anfield? We might need to, but it's only going to matter either way if we get the job done tomorrow.

But in a way i'm finding it masochistically exiting, the close of season from now:ph34r: 

6 hours ago, Rapkun said:

From an outside perspective, I think most would say we are far from bottlers. But we've certainly not been great either in important matches these last couple of years or so. Strictly speaking about this season, I think we're suffering from the youth and inexperience of both our players and manager. You can feel the lack of leadership in the team when our backs are against the wall, but also Frank's system makes it so that there isn't a big margin for errors. We will come up on top of most games because our talent edges it, but sometimes when we're not up for it and the opposing team has the weapons to hurt us we will get trashed like we did at Sheffield. We need to be real here, we're far from title challengers. Our expectations definitely need to be lower until the team improves in quality and experience.

This isn't about challenging for the title. One would have to be crazy to expect us to challenge for the title at this point. I can live with the inconsistency from this season but it's things like how we keep making the same basic mistakes over and over and over again and for one reason or another, nothing seems to have been done about them. How can one not go crazy because of that? How can we expect progress when we keep on making the same mistakes that hinder that progress? Too many 'one step forward, two steps backward' moments this season.

That Man United fan...

Referee: Jon Moss
VAR: Martin Atkinson

This will be Jon Moss’ first Chelsea game since our 0-2 home defeat to Southampton on Boxing Day. His only other Blues game this season was another home defeat, this time to West Ham in November.

:o

2 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

But in a way i'm finding it masochistically exiting, the close of season from now:ph34r: 

My younger daughter used to come to games with me before she moved away, but the older one has no interest in football. The older one told me the other day that being a football fan doesn't seem to be much fun a lot of the time. I replied that she was beginning to get it. :(