Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I'm not bashing him, good performance, but stop overlooking the fact that Spain didn't play a pressing game tonight. They completely sat back and also built up slowly for the majority of the game. Without the pressing of course Mikel could show off more mobility. He won't be given such time & space in most PL games.

Spain didn't play the pressing game? They completely sat back?! Now I'm not sure if you were watching the right game. They may not have pressed extremely heavily but they did put pressure around on the Nigeria players when they have the ball and didn't just completely sit back. When Mikel did get close down by Spain, he showed good strength and composure to turn the pressure around by doing something useful with it such as playing nice through balls, sweeping balls down the flanks (he even toyed with Xavi at one point!).

Also low pass completion again. For every "UGH NICE THROUGH-BALL MIKEL!!!!" there's complete strays. He needs to work on this.

Yes, not all of his passes were perfect but you say as if the even more accomplished ones don't have a few passes that go astray in matches. There was certainly more 'nice' through balls from him than complete stray ones.

Yup credit where it's due he looked great tonight!

Musa also looks cool - if he could be 'polished' - what a great little player :)

My only concern with Mikel is he doing an Adebayour? Trying to put himself in the shop window? He will never be used in the same role at Chelsea and looking at it now - I think we have damaged his career...

If he can find a role higher up the pitch at another team we should let him go :)

Little technique? They are the one team that has given Spain a good game in this competition they were confident, getting on the ball and passing it around quite well. I wouldn't say they lack technique but just some of their decision making was awful, they are actually a good side Nigeria. They could have done a bit better in the second half maybe but hey who has played as well as they have in the first half against Spain in recent times?

We obviously defined technique very differently.

I've seen countless times the smaller side giving the bigger (not as committed-already qualified) side a run for their money by employing power and speed (same as Nigeria did), until they tire (same again). Still, quality, technique, to me is in the final third where the passes MUST be 100% precise. Where the first touch must be perfect, so the player has the time to apply the finish. I see none of that in their players. Most of their players have very poor first touch, especially under pressure.

Their defense is as bad as Japan's.

I think Nigeria record speaks for itself: a win against Tahiti, being the only team that managed to concede against them. Lost to Uruguay, direct contenders, and don't think they deserved to win that game btw. Uruguay players have far better technique, first touch specially.

BTW, Mikel was never under any pressure when carrying the ball from deep position.

If this guy would give a shit when he plays for us...that would be great.

Seriously we need to put him in proper role, you dont own Spain like that if you not good. But the attitude he has is still horrible though (only thing I hate about him).

If Mikel had the offensive abilites he allegedly has, why does almost never socre a goal or even create one. The required technical abilites you need for being an offensive midfielder differ from the ones required for DMs. If he always has had these, there is no way he only scored and assisted single figures in 7 years.

I have to confess I am NOT impressed with this Nigeria team. Yes, they have power, speed, but little technique as their incompetence in the final third showcases.

Nigeria had many injuries leading into the tournament. Onazi from Lazio is a starter and was very good at the ACN, but got injured less than a week before the game against Tahiti. Moses and Emenike are also starters but were also injured, so less experienced players were thrown in instead, which probably explains some of their weird play in the final third.

Seriously we need to put him in proper role, you dont own Spain like that if you not good. But the attitude he has is still horrible though (only thing I hate about him).

OWN SPAIN LIKE THAT

OWN SPAIN

OWN

Right, thats what I hate about him too, so now it comes down to 3 ppl, after K to the o to the j to the o has left the building, that have pure hate when they talk about Mikel and cant admit he has his skills...

I think I'm repeating my self, but the only things in his way are his attitude and probably our Restrictions on him on the field.

I don't say he should play like a striker or some shit like that, he just should be allowed the same freedom that is given to ramy or lamps and the other two should learn to cover for him sometimes, have to admit that ramy is miles ahead of lamps in that case though...

If one were to read the posts here, one would get the feeling that Nigeria beat Spain by 3 or 4 goals.

I am sorry, but are we talking about the game where Spain beat Nigeria 3-0 without even breaking into sweat. They were already through to next round so did not put in much effort. The build up play was so relaxed from Spain. Also the two one on one chances in the first half that Soldado missed in the first half? The shot from Fabregas that hit the inside of the post?

Yes he looks much better when he plays for Nigeria but you cannot expect the same thing at Chelsea. He is central to Nigeria's gameplay. That wont happen at Chelsea because we have a lot of other players who are much better than Mikel and who will be central to our game. There have been suggestions in the past few pages that Mikel can replace Mata. One can only marvel at stupidity of such people.

He looks good in a team that is built around him, but that really isn't that unusual.

There was one player who had a team built around him, scored 12 goals with 8 assists and was shortlisted for player of the year.

A virtual cookie for the person who can guess that player (it wasn't Juan Mata - he had 4 more assists last season).

Really think he should be sold as soon as possible, especially for £12-£15m mentioned. Come on guys, PAULINHO IS for sale AT £17M FFS and these 2 doesn't even fit together in the same sentence. Basically we could get Paulinho for Mikel+£5m max, that is what you call a bargain to me.

Nigeria played well but they didnt have their top scorer in the african cup of nations (emenike) they didnt have their midfield box to box player from lazio (onazi) and they didnt have thier first choice winger (moses). Thats why they were missing chances in attack.

Now on mikel, in comparison to other players this is how i see mikel,

Mikel in chelsea = yaya toure for barcelona

Mikel in nigeria = Yaya toure for manchester city

In barcelona yayatoure was the main DM, but in manchester city, he is playing next to barry who is more defensive to free up his potential. This is NOT building the team around him (there are also major players like silva and aguero in the same team), but this will release mikels potential to be a better player for us than he is playing now.

So if mikel is playing the more attacking role in the pivot, you will see the mikel that bossed the first half against spain. If you play him as the more defensive in the pivot, you know what you get.

What I really dont understand about him is even if he is playing a more advanced role for nigeria. He should be able to play a small amount of the great passes as a DM for us like he has been doing for nigeria! Why is he not doing it? He cleary showed he can and the excuse that he plays as a DM for us just does not warrant his constant sideways and back passing. He has been brilliant for nigeria and if he really deserves to stay at a top club he has to start passing like that as a DM for us.. If somebody can do that it is jose.. And even if it is not possible to play the pass to the striker he has to start setting up other players that can.. I have been having the feeling he is not capable playing such great balls but his is so he has to start doing it.. And before you guys start attacking me he is playing as a 10 for nigeria I know that but as a football player myself if you can see the pass you should be able to play it no matter where you play on the pitch. Even david luiz plays better passes as a CB! I really like mikel as a player and hope he can start passing better(even at his age) but if he does not start helping the team attacking he has to leave!

@clevemayer When was the last time mikel provided cover for any of them? Standing behind the halfway line doesnt mean youre providing cover, infact it shows youure a fucking pussayy and 2 fucking lazy 2 provide any support.

Hes fucking shit, rafa fucking benched him. Are u all waiting for a zombie apocalypse 2 believe it ?

If hez any good why doesnt any club try 2 buy him? Or hez 2 expensive :P

@clevemayer When was the last time mikel provided cover for any of them? Standing behind the halfway line doesnt mean youre providing cover, infact it shows youure a fucking pussayy and 2 fucking lazy 2 provide any support.

Hes fucking shit, rafa fucking benched him. Are u all waiting for a zombie apocalypse 2 believe it ?

If hez any good why doesnt any club try 2 buy him? Or hez 2 expensive :P

No one has ever tried to buy Cech during hisChelsea days. Let's start calling him shit as well :clown: