Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Them being sacked doesn't make them less of a manager. We are talking about one of the most renowned managers in the sport. Plus you've got to admit that many sackings have been knee jerk anyway - it is very easy to lose your job overnight as a manager of Chelsea even by looking at the camera wrong or not massaging players' egos.

Let's not fall into this trap of thinking we sack managers for no reason. We sack them because they under-perform....players, not so much.

Mikel hasn't been as bad as it is made out to be, he just doesn't get the attention because he is not a forward player nor a playmaker. He has been played as a DM who go on quietly doing their job.

Again with this 'people just don't understand/notice Mikel' argument?

One word - Makelele. Got so much love, attention and respect from the supporters.

Let's not fall into this trap of thinking we sack managers for no reason. We sack them because they under-perform....players, not so much.

Again with this 'people just don't understand/notice Mikel' argument?

One word - Makelele. Got so much love, attention and respect from the supporters.

So you think players don't under-perform? What kind of an argument is that?

Jedem das Seine - everyone can think of Mikel as they please. Though solid reasons could be brought up to justify such belief.

and it's a position where you're a bit of an unsung hero

Indeed. It is a position where you are an unsung hero. I think he does ok in that role, but I expected more.

He's not bad at all, but I always feel he lags the tempo just a tad too much, just like he is out of sync and misses the beat while being the drummer of the band...

So you think players don't under-perform? What kind of an argument is that?

No, I was saying that we don't sack players for under-performing.

Chelsea supporters are able to recognise a player's contribution to the team, and also the effort their putting into their performance. It's not a coincidence that Mikel has never really been taken to heart by a large part of the support.

I'm suggesting that their judgment may not have been something we should place much faith in.

Their judgement cannot be relied on? How many trophies did the four of them win all together?

Well this theory that mikel has been the first choice of so many chelsea managers has been debunked countless number of times. The only manager under whom he was effectively first choice was RDM and the lesser said about his management skills, the better.

However, looking at your user name, I doubt you will be able to think about it rationally. You can join the deluded bunch led by Choulo19.

Since he joined Chelsea, Mikel has not played less than 35 games a season. Considering card and injury absences, I wonder how many games a season a player who is considered 'First Choice' would play.

When you say 'looking at your username', do you mean because I'm a Nigerian or because I support Arsenal?

Anyways, I'm not here to argue tbh. I only decided to add my views as someone who has seen Mikel excel in the free role position. I feel he will do better in that role for Chelsea or any other team for that matter. myopinion

Their judgement cannot be relied on? How many trophies did the four of them win all together?

Since he joined Chelsea, Mikel has not played less than 35 games a season. Considering card and injury absences, I wonder how many games a season a player who is considered 'First Choice' would play.

When you say 'looking at your username', do you mean because I'm a Nigerian or because I support Arsenal?

Anyways, I'm not here to argue tbh. I only decided to add my views as someone who has seen Mikel excel in the free role position. I feel he will do better in that role for Chelsea or any other team for that matter. myopinion

Some of us here, perhaps even the majority, feel that Mikel doing better is still not good enough. A free role to player with so few goals and assists?!

As well as he plays for Nigeria, that's *also* not good enough for Chelsea. Essien before injuries, for example, was absolutely dominant for club and country and I reckon we should not settle for anything less. For no other reason but because our opponents have players of that caliber.

We have not been doing very well in the league lately and our midfield has struggled especially against teams with strong midfield and midfielders, like City. At one point we need to address these deficiencies; whether Mikel remains as a rotation player or not is, quite frankly, irrelevant.

You just cannot take things applicable to Arsenal and argue for them in Chelsea forums.

We are a team that actually competes for trophies. We invariably compete till later stages of knockout competitions. In these last 7 seasons we have won 4 FA Cups, 2 league cups, 2 community shield trophies, 1 Champions league, and appeared in a lot of finals and semi finals. As a result of this we have played far more games every season than your "top 4 is a trophy for us" joke of a club..

Chelsea have played 421 'competitive' games in these 7 seasons and Mikel has started 222 of them, just above 50%. and he has only started more than 35 games only in one season (2008-09 after the departure of Makelele and injury to Essien).

Didn't he not call Choulo Bin Laden up there? I'd imagine thats why.

Oh I thought that was a joke - a bad Joke - but still a joke?

@Choulo - did that offend you? And is it a permanent ban or temp? Backstreet is ok man - perhaps he was drunk! It's the close season it does funny things!

Dam :( all kicking off - that's why I said close the forums - 6 weeks holiday :) LOL :)

CastrolEDGEfootball @castrolfootball 59m

Only Andrés Iniesta (11) completed more dribbles than John Obi Mikel (10) in the #confeds group stages

disingenuous...

Tahiti skewed all stats in that group.

BTW, Iniesta did not play against Tahiti, but Mikel did.

He only completed 2 dribbles vs. Tahiti, so those stats remain impressive IMO

Fair enough. Just consider that Nigeria were the only side that used full force against Tahiti (and managed to concede:)), while both Spain and Uruguay employed reserves exclusively. Perhaps his two dribbles against Tahiti was kinda bad then. Perhaps other players would have surpassed him if they had played against Tahiti like he did.

So many variables which makes these types of stats really pointless.