Mikel John Obi

Badboy

let me just follow you:

--> voted second best player at youth olympics after, right MESSI

--> Labled NIGERIAN GODL by mou and his ENTIRE staff

--> One of the biggest war in footballhistory for an Talent, maybe the BIGGEST betwenn the heavy weights CFC and MU

--> IS originally 19 years an AMF

--> get switched to DMF out of a Playernumber Problem (Diarra didnt do what mou expected from him was better at RB, so only place Mikel could play with Lamps and ESs in the Team, DM)

--> Never had the opportunity to develop and get his head washed for stying grounded.

yeah right we didn't destroy him... -

Well thats the way you view it, and you may be right.

But not every youth player turns up and lives up to their expectations.

Marko Marin was supposed to be the German Messi when he was doing the rounds at U19s .

I just hope sometime in the future, Chelsea is not viewed as the destroyer of his career as well.

Well thats the way you view it, and you may be right.

But not every youth player turns up and lives up to their expectations.

Marko Marin was supposed to be the German Messi when he was doing the rounds at U19s .

I just hope sometime in the future, Chelsea is not viewed as the destroyer of his career as well.

only foolish germans labelled him the german messi, he was nowhere near any world class quality.

It was a Time German football was left in shades, a shadow of itself and they needed desperatly talents, they labelled everybody the great messiah...

you can't compare this to John Obi.

the whole Nigerian NT-Stuff said :"We thought we've found the new Okocha" and stuff like:"His skills at the ball were from another planet, he never ever gave the ball away at any circumstance in any pressure"...

My club hast to take it if they don't turn it around (hes 26 still) they wil be hold in regret... by me for sure...

That is a load of rubbish. Even if one were to believe this entire hype about Mikel that you are presenting in your post, you want us to change our team to something that will make Mikel look better?

Good. Lay the blame for Mikel's sloppy game and poor abilities on the other 10 men. I can see the logic behind that.

No, I never said we need to change our players for Mikel to play better. Just his partner in the pivot.
But that wasn't even my point. My point was, it's unfair to blame only Mikel for our midfield being outplayed against every strong team. It's bad combination of players in pivot, too. I said that Mikel needs playmaker by his side in this 4 2 3 1 system to be better, as good as he can. That way he would have more space and freedom to play forward. Ramires, Lampard don't suit him in pivot. If he had Modric by his side, he would be much better player, but not among the best in the world. He lacks ability to play high tempo games and isn't great passer, hence he needs playmaker by his side in the pivot.
With our attacking minded players, organised attack is the best defense. But we lose possesion very often shortly after we get it. Everywhere on the field. That's Mikel's fault too?
We need playmaker in pivot , regardless of Mikel or creativity upfront, somebody from the back needs to keep possesion, pull the strings, dictate tempo, make long passes and to pass quickly enough to attacking players and give them space and time for maneveur.
Ramires needs to run in order to pass and Lampard runs more often then he passes from pivot. Mikel often stays alone there. He has to stay put and to play safe. We knew he was defensive midfielder, he never was playmaker or organizator of the game in that position.
In a nutshell, to compliment our pivot players ( Lampard and Ramires - against strong teams) we need solid central defensive midfielder with playmaking abilities.
I'm all for getting one by the way.
Lack of playmaking abilities from our pivot players was our main problem inthe midfield. Lack of organization and easily lost possesion was the second. Incompatibility of pivot players was the third one. Than Mikel.
It's not fair to blame only Mikel for everything bad in midfield and to slate him so much, especially considering that it wasn't easy for him either in this system and formation. My only point.

No, I never said we need to change our players for Mikel to play better. Just his partner in the pivot.
But that wasn't even my point. My point was, it's unfair to blame only Mikel for our midfield being outplayed against every strong team. It's bad combination of players in pivot, too. I said that Mikel needs playmaker by his side in this 4 2 3 1 system to be better, as good as he can. That way he would have more space and freedom to play forward. Ramires, Lampard don't suit him in pivot. If he had Modric by his side, he would be much better player, but not among the best in the world. He lacks ability to play high tempo games and isn't great passer, hence he needs playmaker by his side in the pivot.
With our attacking minded players, organised attack is the best defense. But we lose possesion very often shortly after we get it. Everywhere on the field. That's Mikel's fault too?
We need playmaker in pivot , regardless of Mikel or creativity upfront, somebody from the back needs to keep possesion, pull the strings, dictate tempo, make long passes and to pass quickly enough to attacking players and give them space and time for maneveur.
Ramires needs to run in order to pass and Lampard runs more often then he passes from pivot. Mikel often stays alone there. He has to stay put and to play safe. We knew he was defensive midfielder, he never was playmaker or organizator of the game.
In a nutshell, to compliment our pivot players ( Lampard and Ramires - against strong teams) we need solid central defensive midfielder with playmaking abilities.
I'm all for getting one by the way.
Lack of playmaking abilities from our pivot players was our main problem inthe midfield. Lack of organization and easily lost possesion was the second. Incompatibility of pivot players was the third one. Than Mikel.
It's not fair to blame only Mikel for everything bad in midfield and to slate him so much, especially considering that it wasn't easy for him either in this system and formation. My only point.

only foolish germans labelled him the german messi, he was nowhere near any world class quality.

It was a Time German football was left in shades, a shadow of itself and they needed desperatly talents, they labelled everybody the great messiah...

the whole Nigerian NT-Stuff said :"We thought we've found the new Okocha" and stuff like:"His skills at the ball were from another planet, he never ever gave the ball away at any circumstance in any pressure"...

My club hast to take it if they don't turn it around (hes 26 still) they wil be hold in regret... by me for sure...

It reminds me a little bit of Moussa Dembele who also debuted his career high-up in the pitch, powerful, could keep the ball pretty well but lacks the little spark, speed in his play and goalscoring ability to make it at the top higher in the pitch.

He ended playing in the pivot in Fulham and Tottenham.

I'm not a fan of Dembele.

people also said saviola will be the nxt big thing or or or. and "okocha skills"..yeah than this nigerian stuff must have been blind. this guy is technically limited and offensively poor. we didnt destroy him. he has had so much playing time over all the years and couldnt evolve in the right way.

obi was never that good as people labelled him. especially in africa people tend to overhype players.

having talent and potential and fullfilling it are two different things...wouldnt mind mikel staying though as another option in the midfield. he is surely better than romeu.

he played good yesterday but uruguay (as in the whole tournament) were totally awful. even suarez+cavani didnt play well and their midfield is mediocre at best. no game to judge mikel.

in terms of offering him freedom: what will we get from this? he cant score for his life. he aint fast. his passing game is average. so giving him more freedom would benefit mikel but surely not the team.

people also said saviola will be the nxt big thing or or or. and "okocha skills"..yeah than this nigerian stuff must have been blind. this guy is technically limited and offensively poor. we didnt destroy him. he has had so much playing time over all the years and couldnt evolve in the right way.

obi was never that good as people labelled him. especially in africa people tend to overhype players.

having talent and potential and fullfilling it are two different things...wouldnt mind mikel staying though as another option in the midfield. he is surely better than romeu.

thats right I've had sky high hopes for Kakuta and Djalo, both didn't develop the right way, Kakuta because of his attitude and with Djalo... sometimes you miss that last step.

so Mikel has had and still have a great technique and he shields the ball second to none...

Been played with freedom and with the order to do what ever you want on the pitch (like mata or Hazard) in an specific area is different to been played in a position you are not familiar with and you then get ultra strong restrictions to stay as conservative as possible so the players around you can play with freedom...

So I don't agree with you on Mikel, he has great potential and great techniqe and we have a large share of responseability about him not fullfilling his potential...

Like said, My thoughts.

I personally thought Mikel in 06/07 was well on his way to become a very great player. Unfortunately he didn't fulfil that and I agree that we're partly to blame for that in misusing him as an anchorman. He's a completely different player for Nigeria as everything goes through him - his passing range is allowed to be exploited - his excellent shielding of the ball is more apparent as he gets the ball in more pressured situations...

It's a shame really. I'd still like to see what Mou does with him.

"shielding the ball" doesnt offers anything attacking-wise. he is really good at HOLDING THE BALL but not PASSING it. also he has played DM for years..it aint like it is his first season. also i didnt hear him complain about this position. he could've evolved in this position, he has the potentital for it. he has a great body, he can shield a ball, he can dribble decent. he should've improved his passing skills and his tactical knowledge- he didnt. that is primarly HIS fault. also we had Lampard playing as an AMF, so there was no place at all for mikel at this position. and mata/Hazard/oscar are miles ahead of him and will ever bei n this position. he is too slow and to limited to play in this position.

also players like Hazard and Mata are geniuses...they can change the game within a minute. mikel isnt. thats why mata/hazard are getting freedom while he isnt. if he could score or would be a special player, surely there would have been more freedom given to him..but he isnt. he is decent, but nothing lethal for our team.

in terms of nigeria- well people do see, that he is playing against teams like Burkina Faso or Mali or whatever?! he is playing against player whou wouldnt even suceed in the Championship League.

Carlo Ancelotti said, "I have a lot of trust in Mikel, I think he can be the playmaker of this team. He is a young player, but has great quality, both technical and tactical".

Mikel has a great pass on him, he's got good range and if he's allowed to he can orgastrate things but he needs to be given the licence to do so. At Chelsea we just don't utilise that - hence why I believe he's been misused as the anchorman of the team.

Just yesterday, Mikel showed a flash of brilliance to level the game against Uruguay a very decent team with some great players - not your Burkina Faso's or Mali's, and absolutely ran the show - yesterday just served as a reminder to what Mikel can do when he's the main brain of the team. Obviously that's not going to happen at CFC when we have Mata and Hazard and even Oscar coming through - Mikel can be an important player in build up play but he's been limited far too much despite that.

Like I said before it'll be interesting to see what Jose does with Mikel as after all, he was initially his project. I still don't think he'll be sold - if anything Mikel is at least a good squad player.

it aint like the coach is saying to him "please no dont play long-range balls and slow up the game"...he does it on his own. he is limiting HIMSELF. or do you think carlo, mou and all the other coaches did tell him to play 5 m passes at max? for sure not. it was a pain to see what he played against teams who parked the bus against us. he could not offer anything beside slowing every attack up and putting in 5 m passes.

and even staying behind and closing the holes etc he couldnt do well. he was exposed countless times and his positioning has been awful this season. he not only stagnated, he took 1-2 steps downhill.

Uruguay have been awful the whole tournament and even yesterday. thats not at all a sign that he is that good. and they looked tired as hell. also their midfield is mediocre. their best players are up front- cavani, suarez, falcao. and mikel did not have to deal with them.

it's funny how people say "give Luiz time to develop under Mou, he'll be great" and go like "Mikel wasted his potential".

they have the same age...

Well that's because Luiz was showing excellent performances consistently throughout this year and has been by far our best CB while Mikel showed absolutely atrocious performances this year, not mention him talking shite about the Europa League before following that statement up with an absolutely disgraceful display at Kazan.

Mikel and Luiz' attitudes are polar opposite. One has heart and gives 110%, despite a lapse in concentration here and there, while the other has a history of being a stroppy cunt.

If 10 mil is the best that we can get for him (and it doesn't even appear to be true), then we might as well keep him around for some depth and cover in central midfield.

it aint like the coach is saying to him "please no dont play long-range balls and slow up the game"...he does it on his own. he is limiting HIMSELF. or do you think carlo, mou and all the other coaches did tell him to play 5 m passes at max? for sure not. it was a pain to see what he played against teams who parked the bus against us. he could not offer anything beside slowing every attack up and putting in 5 m passes.

Uruguay have been awful the whole tournament and even yesterday. thats not at all a sign that he is that good. and they looked tired as hell. also their midfield is mediocre. their best players are up front- cavani, suarez, falcao. and mikel did not have to deal with them.

If I actually remember correctly Mikel played around 12 games under Mourinho as our DM. In the other games he played whilst Mourinho was here Makelele played at DM whilst he was deployed a little further up the pitch.

Mikel played a lot more adventurous under Ancelotti in his first season as Ancelotti encouraged him to do so and our tactical system allowed us to do so. They believed in the kid - him and Ray Wilkins: "John can basically become whatever he wants," Ray Wilkins, Chelsea's assistant manager, says. "He's got a lovely range of passing, is strong as an ox and reads the game exceptionally well. Myself and Carlo have just asked him to hit a few more progressive passes." Here are two assists just as a reminder that he was given that extra bit of freedom in the double winning season:

At the start:

At around 1m40:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcpe90

What I do agree with is that he somewhat limits himself but then again, his current role in the team is not to be the playmaker like he is in Nigeria but to rather be the one who keeps the ball flowing whilst our more forward thinking players set themselves up which is why I say he's been misused as he can offer a lot more but again, it's naive to think that Mikel can't offer anything but 5m passes or slowing down the attack. I'm sorry to keep on harping about his national team performances but in my opinion he shows his true colours for Nigeria. Albeit usually being against poorer opposition, he looks a completely different player because he's got a different mentality and role that exploits his true talents. He's been Nigeria's playmaker during their recent run of success... His touch was superb yesterday, his passing range was great, his ability to escape pressure is excellent and he beat his man repeatedly. Uruguay haven't been at their best in the tournament but to simply dismiss his performance yesterday because of that and to simply think that their midfield is mediocre (a big, big hyperbole) when they are one of the better national teams around is laughable in my opinion. Yeah Uruguay's best players are up front but their midfield is not mediocre. Mikel played well yesterday against a good national team whether you like it or not.

My point is that I believe under Mourinho who will motivate the lad and perhaps give him a more expansive licence - he'll offer a lot more in attack than he has for the last 2 seasons. I would keep him around - after all the lad is only 26, was initially Mourinho's project and isn't on monstrous wages. As I've said before, he can at the very least be a good squad player.

Mikel and Luiz' attitudes are polar opposite. One has heart and gives 110%, despite a lapse in concentration here and there, while the other has a history of being a stroppy cunt.

Fantastic point. People have been saying that Luiz's heart is worth more than the prices being banded around for him and that's a great point, yet it's something that even Mikel's staunchest supporters can't really defend.

I had doubts about him for much of last season, but that performance away to Rubin Kazan was an absolute disgrace and I think even Bosingwa would've felt shame picking up a paycheque after that game. It's not surprising because he was like that as a 19 year old, but just looking at people like Chalobah, Ake and Lukaku to see the difference in their mentalities. They respect the shirt EVERY TIME they put it on.

it's funny how people say "give Luiz time to develop under Mou, he'll be great" and go like "Mikel wasted his potential".

they have the same age...

Because Mikel's stagnated whilst Luiz is improving.

The only thing we can hope for is that Mikel will pick up next season under Jose.