Super Frank Thread

A quick note re the defense.

Villa were the 2nd worst defense in the league last season and now with a new keeper addition are arguably the best with the same defenders, Liverpool (previously the world's best defensive unit) have declined to a parody since Alisson has been crocked even with VVD.  

I think people underestimate the difference Mendy will make if he's as much as competant. No it won't suddenly make us flawless before anyone says it but he will make a huge difference.

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

A quick note re the defense.

Villa were the 2nd worst defense in the league last season and now with a new keeper addition are arguably the best with the same defenders, Liverpool (previously the world's best defensive unit) have declined to a parody since Alisson has been crocked even with VVD.  

I think people underestimate the difference Mendy will make if he's as much as competant. No it won't suddenly make us flawless before anyone says it but he will make a huge difference.

OR maybe, they are defending better. Villa have allowed only 30 shots inside the box, which is the 7th lowest so far this season, and their xG conceded is 4.07, which is the second lowest so far this season.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

OR maybe, they are defending better. Villa have allowed only 30 shots inside the box, which is the 7th lowest so far this season, and their xG conceded is 4.07, which is the second lowest so far this season.

Yeah but what's the more likely conclusion, Martinez has made a difference or Dean Smith has suddenly become a good defensive coach? Martinez isn't even making that many saves compared to Arsenal at the back end of last season but you can hear him shouting and organizing. Hopefully Mendy has a similar effect and the early sample size (1 conceded in his 2 games and i think only 3 saves needed to be made outside of that) is promising. Mendy, like Martinez, could shave of a high number of goals just by the fact the defense trust him more.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Yeah but what's the more likely conclusion, Martinez has made a difference or Dean Smith has suddenly become a good defensive coach? Martinez isn't even making that many saves compared to Arsenal at the back end of last season but you can hear him shouting and organizing. Hopefully Mendy has a similar effect and the early sample size (1 conceded in his 2 games and i think only 3 saves needed to be made outside of that) is promising. Mendy, like Martinez, could shave of a high number of goals just by the fact the defense trust him more.

Who knows? Managers and their coaches can always work on things and look to improve their side in the off season etc. New signings can make a difference but they aren't always the solution to problems.

10 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Guess it was the players fault Lampard didnt address the midfield issue until the 82nd minute. Something that essentially had us lose control that entire second half. 

I have seen nothing that suggest Kova was injured, he was seen at SB yesterday so it was Frank decision to have two strikers and two wingers on the bench but zero midfielders. This is quite ironic considering what he said after the game.

2 hours ago, Mana said:

We should be beating Arsenal and Arteta comfortably. We haven't been. That's the point I'm getting across. 

Ok this season fair enough but last almost everyone put Arsenal above us pre season, especially after Pepe's signing.

couple of players missing does not enable us to play this poorly - we have an inherent, fundamental issue with lampard's chelsea; no attacking tactics, horrendous defense (do we even practice defending in training?), park the bus philosophy, and having bottom table teams dominate for 10 minute periods (driven by no tactics). Patience is running low with FL - if we play this way in the next 3 games I hope he's out 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Exactly. we allowed even less shots on average last season and had one of the best shots on target and xG statistic in the league last season still conceded a ton of goals. That’s the whole point. we concede a lot of goals despite conceding fewer shots than most teams. Gk makes a huge difference 

we are yet to concede a goal when both Mendy and Chilwell are playing. Albeit in just 155 mins. If we are still shipping 2-3  goals per game when those two are consistently starting, I am not gonna defend Lampard anymore but until then there is the benefit of the doubt 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Came across this in another forum...

EkrinVrVkAEpnx1?format=png&name=large

the main problem is Lamps changing the backline too much, like you mentioned before, he is in his 2nd season and still hasnt figured out his best 11, let alone best center back pairing, very worrying

Very Mourinho-esque excuse this - "it's not my fault, it's the players'"...

Yes, Lampard told Zouma to play passes that are too short to the keeper and Lampard told Kepa that when Zouma plays to him a pass that is too short, just come out too slow and dive like an idiot and don't get the ball.
Lampard also told specifically to Havertz to dribble past one player, then turn completely around 360 degree and give the ball to the opponent, so they could score a goal against us. Yes, Lampard wanted us to drop points.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, lucio said:

I doubt having werner spin past a defender and score a brilliant solo goal out of nothing was a specific tactic either. If you cant accept blame for individual  errors in the team don't take credit for individual brilliance. But really you have to look at the whole gameplan and management as a whole and that has rarely been good enough 

Pretty sure that play indeed was rehearsed albeit the finish was improvised. It is a signature move from Werner but the player passing to him needs to be instructed where and how hard to pass so the dummy makes the Ball run into space