Super Frank Thread

Channeled his inner Mourinho today.

On a serious note, I'm really disapointed with his substitutions today. He was so good at turning games around with his subs but today was horrendous. Basically threw 1 away when he made the first 2 so close to one another. 5 changes are allowed but only 3 seperate occasions. Then he took forever to make the last changes and ran Havertz and Werner to the ground.

Inclined to agree with that but the question going forward is, can we be threatening going forward while still looking defensively sound at the back? Because at the moment, it feels like we'll either be exciting going forward but horrendous defensively or horrendous offensively but solid in defence. 
Will only change when we have two better midfielders. Kante is horrible with the ball and Jorgi horrible in the defensive phase.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

We showed that a few times last season as well TBF - e.g. Liverpool (in FA Cup), Spurs, Man City (h). But as I posted yesterday, the big question is whether we can find the balance in defence and offence without sacrificing one or the other. At the moment, we either look good offensively but rubbish defensively or rubbish offensively but good defensively.

We showed that a few times last season as well TBF - e.g. Liverpool (in FA Cup), Spurs, Man City (h). But as I posted yesterday, the big question is whether we can find the balance in defence and offence without sacrificing one or the other. At the moment, we either look good offensively but rubbish defensively or rubbish offensively but good defensively.

Finding the right balance in defense and offense means that we have to be better in the transitioning phases of the game. When we transition from defense to offense and maybe Jorgi and Kante are not the right people to give us the balance we need in midfield. Maybe there is a reason why Lampard wanted Rice bad during summer.
I may not be a fan of Rice, but he gives us at least something that Kante does not give at the moment. Still, I would not pay more than 50 million Euros for Rice[emoji23].

Sadly, we do not have the midfield players that could give us the righr balance in midfield. Every potential midfield combination has significant weaknesses. If we had for instance Rice/Zakaria and Aouar, I think that midfield would be more or less pretty complete. Can defend, has the right amount of creativity and does not lose the ball often.

3 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Finding the right balance in defense and offense means that we have to be better in the transitioning phases of the game. When we transition from defense to offense and maybe Jorgi and Kante are not the right people to give us the balance we need in midfield. Maybe there is a reason why Lampard wanted Rice bad during summer.
I may not be a fan of Rice, but he gives us at least something that Kante does not give at the moment. Still, I would not pay more than 50 million Euros for Riceemoji23.png.

Sadly, we do not have the midfield players that could give us the righr balance in midfield. Every potential midfield combination has significant weaknesses. If we had for instance Rice/Zakaria and Aouar, I think that midfield would be more or less pretty complete. Can defend, has the right amount of creativity and does not lose the ball often.

No point talking about transfers now. Lampard has to somehow make it work until at least January...

5 hours ago, Mana said:

So we were defensively good last night, well done. But offensively we were shite. We spent £200 million, most of that went towards the forwards this summer.

Sub-average performance overall, not good enough. Yes we played against the Europa League champions, but we wasted the entire first half with the strangest tactics/formation that I've ever seen in a long time. It was boring from Chelsea as well, it felt like we were parking the bus and playing counter-attacking football. If that was awesome to you, give the job back to Mourinho.

Only ONE game so far this season I can go and say "That's proper Chels" and that was the Palace game. Which I'm beginning to think that maybe CP had a complete off-day considering they took the most points out of the top 6 in recent years. And no, I'm not counting Barnsley in the tally.

Let me remind you we are on season number two. So "give him time" is out of the window now. We are still soul-searching for a working system after all these games.

I think at this moment it wasn't about offense. We know what we can do, even in the Saint game. For the next few games I rather get results like this to build up the confidence of the defense before unleashing again up front. 

So good job Lampard for me in this game. 

No point talking about transfers now. Lampard has to somehow make it work until at least January...

I was just saying that we do not have the right midfield players to find the right balance. Kante runs like an idiot forward and loses the ball way too much and nowadays, he loses more and more tackles. Jorginho does not make enough world class passes regularly. Defensive wise, he has his flaws too. I really can't see a midfield combination that would give us the right balance. Maybe Kovacic and Kante, but Kovacic does not play well in a double pivot til now.

Jorginho and Kante together are a pain to watch. If I was Lampard, I would buy a DM in January. I do not think Rice will be available though. Zakaria probably also not going to be available. Maybe there is someone else. France always has some good DMs in ligue 1.

Definitely agree there, we just saw how much of an improvement going from Kepa and Andreas to Mendy and Silva. 

I'm sure the same thing happen when we go from Kante and Jorgi to new signings. 

Midfield is what is killing us, so let's hope we continue to spend next transfer window so we can finish building this team. 

Our whole squad is fit on Saturday. He has 0 excuses this time. If he fails to beat United or even loses against them then that says a lot about how our season will go.

I already said weeks ago that I don't believe that he is the right man for the job. That said, I still believe that he'll get us top four. That's why I have no problem of sticking with him for the rest of the season, and then replacing him next year. However, if he can't beat teams like United, with the whole squad being fit, then he might be sacked sooner than we thought. 

I repeat, Saturday will tell us a lot about our chances of getting top four this year. What do I think is going to happen? I think that we will beat Man UTD, but if that does not happen then Lampard is worse then I expected.