Super Frank Thread

2 hours ago, Johnnyeye said:

Now that i think about it, it's fair to say we choked that season, we could have won the PL, CL and LC. It was all in our hands, i remember after we beat the mancs at the Bridge with 2 Ballack goals, we just had to win 2 other games to be crowned champions, but we drew with Wigan and Bolton at home <_<. In the CL final we were on the ascendancy after our equalizer and should have won in extra time, the penalty slip by Terry was very unfortunate (fuck United :middlefinger:). The league cup final against Spurs, the less said the better, we gifted those cunts their only trophy in God knows how many years until now. I know things happen for a reason, otherwise there wouldn't have been Munich 2012, etc, but what could have been in 2008... sigh

That is not correct. We still would have needed to win both games vs Newcastle and Bolton with +15 goals gd after the Ballack win vs Manure. It was a last minute Equalizer vs Blackburn 2 Match days earlier that cost us the league. 
Still I think we had the best team in the world in 2008 and night have won it all with a more competent manager. I think saf gave manure the edge to pull it off

That's a great analysis tbf. The thing we need to work on at the moment is the gap in midfield when defending. Should be operating a counter attacking game, much like the performance against City at the bridge, until a proper DM and good CB are purchased. Focus on defensive structure more than anything. 

26 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

That's a great analysis tbf. The thing we need to work on at the moment is the gap in midfield when defending. Should be operating a counter attacking game, much like the performance against City at the bridge, until a proper DM and good CB are purchased. Focus on defensive structure more than anything. 

I doubt FL will do that for most games, he wants expansive footy.

9 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

I doubt FL will do that for most games, he wants expansive footy.

Hard to do that when 1/2 of our back line can't play possession football and the big gaping hole in midfield. 

If bloody football fans on an online forum can figure this out but not Frank, his sacking will be justified. 

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Hard to do that when 1/2 of our back line can't play possession football and the big gaping hole in midfield. 

If bloody football fans on an online forum can figure this out but not Frank, his sacking will be justified. 

What can I say

8 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

That is not correct. We still would have needed to win both games vs Newcastle and Bolton with +15 goals gd after the Ballack win vs Manure. It was a last minute Equalizer vs Blackburn 2 Match days earlier that cost us the league. 
Still I think we had the best team in the world in 2008 and night have won it all with a more competent manager. I think saf gave manure the edge to pull it off

nope, check again those 2 draws i mentioned, if we had won those 2 games we would have been champions, i mentioned Wigan and Bolton because the Wigan game was before the United game and Bolton was on the last day, but we dropped too many points that season, remember 4-4 against Villa and Spurs?. Look at the final table, heck even Arsenal could have been champions, that Eduardo horror injury really fucked them up.

IMG_7084.PNG

14 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

nope, check again those 2 draws i mentioned, if we had won those 2 games we would have been champions, i mentioned Wigan and Bolton because the Wigan game was before the United game and Bolton was on the last day, but we dropped too many points that season, remember 4-4 against Villa and Spurs?. Look at the final table, heck even Arsenal could have been champions, that Eduardo horror injury really fucked them up.

IMG_7084.PNG

Ah maybe it was Wigan not blackburnwhere we conceded that late equaliser but Bolton was on the last day where we did not have a chance to win the title anyway bc of goal difference with a Utd win

54 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

IMG_7084.PNG

I think this season it will be similar in terms of points needed for title.

1 hour ago, Johnnyeye said:

that Eduardo horror injury really fucked them up.

THey sure was, they played lovely footy that season and I would have taken them above Udt thats for sure. That Eduardo injury wrecked it for them.

Yesterday Lampard was questioned on his defensive problems and he stated that we have conceded the least chances during his time, only behind Mancity.

That means he was directly implying that the goalkeeper has let us down.

Now today Mendy starts. Let's see if that is the difference in our whole defensive problems under Lampard. 

Just now, kellzfresh said:

Yesterday Lampard was questioned on his defensive problems and he stated that we have conceded the least chances during his time, only behind Mancity.

That means he was directly implying that the goalkeeper has let us down.

Now today Mendy starts. Let's see if that is the difference in our whole defensive problems under Lampard. 

We will see as long as Mendy is healthy, even if that helped which it should it still wont mask the gaping hole in midfield.

1 minute ago, Atomiswave said:

We will see as long as Mendy is healthy, even if that helped which it should it still wont mask the gaping hole in midfield.

Lampard is actually right if we go by statistics, I checked. But the eye test of our defensive shape does not convince me.

1 minute ago, kellzfresh said:

Lampard is actually right if we go by statistics, I checked. But the eye test of our defensive shape does not convince me.

Yeah thats fair mate, the eye test more often than not overrules the stats test.

15 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

It's something inbetween, there's some games where yeah our defense has been shambolic but there's been others where we have genuinely defended well and conceded from one of the very few chances (if not only chance) we allow, Arsenal at home the most grueling example.

That's why i haven't turned against Frank too much despite the greenness, the underlying metrics all point to the football (we play under him) being sustainable with better players at both ends, we are already seeing it with attack as we have scored 13 goals in 5 games compared to (switching WBA for Watford) 6 in 5 in the corresponding games last season, hopefully with Silva and Mendy we see a similar upturn the other way.