Super Frank Thread

3 minutes ago, YorkshireBlue said:

This is normal, during my time in the British army, we were a team a unit a family, if one of us fucked up we all payed for it, 20 laps on your own won't teach you nothing, but getting your team mates 20 laps and punished, you can bet your ass words were said and people were put in Their place. This whole it's nothing to do with me bullshit is partly the reason people are quite happy to stand and watch people get mugged robbed, 'not my problem" 

I was trying to escape the military analogy, no incident that it's traditionally most abusive line of work/service in most countries. Fortunately times are changing towards understanding such shit is not only unacceptable, but actually punishable by law in many cases.

We are dealing with adult people, professionals who signed a certain contract. Maybe I'm weird, but I'd much rather respect a leader, who can inspire people and consider someone, who resorts to "putting people in their place" by making them run laps, as they can't do any better in 21 century laughable and incompetent. I'm sure there is very precise rulebook and precise fines for not obeying it. Surely there is a lot of people, who fancy "the old ways", but think about it in very practical way - training a soldier is expensive. Footballer perhaps even more. As a taxpayer, wouldn't you rather prefer the military-you to master some tactical or combat skills during the limited time of expensive training, than running laps, being yelled at by some abusive idiot, who is upset he cannot control the group he is for some unclear reason in control of?

And I say not resorting to kindergarten level abuse in high-budget, professional environment has absolutely nothing to do with indifference to what happens in society. It's not like people stopped using physical violence towards their children and suddenly the society went apeshit.

38 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

I was trying to escape the military analogy, no incident that it's traditionally most abusive line of work/service in most countries. Fortunately times are changing towards understanding such shit is not only unacceptable, but actually punishable by law in many cases.

We are dealing with adult people, professionals who signed a certain contract. Maybe I'm weird, but I'd much rather respect a leader, who can inspire people and consider someone, who resorts to "putting people in their place" by making them run laps, as they can't do any better in 21 century laughable and incompetent. I'm sure there is very precise rulebook and precise fines for not obeying it. Surely there is a lot of people, who fancy "the old ways", but think about it in very practical way - training a soldier is expensive. Footballer perhaps even more. As a taxpayer, wouldn't you rather prefer the military-you to master some tactical or combat skills during the limited time of expensive training, than running laps, being yelled at by some abusive idiot, who is upset he cannot control the group he is for some unclear reason in control of?

And I say not resorting to kindergarten level abuse in high-budget, professional environment has absolutely nothing to do with indifference to what happens in society. It's not like people stopped using physical violence towards their children and suddenly the society went apeshit.

A team plays as a team, wins as a team loses as a team, there is no individuals you are a team, 1 fucks up you all pay. it's a lesson you don't fuck up in game on the field or where ever then your team mates won't have to pick up the pieces. People ask where is the fight where is the heart, well if your going to just pat people on the head and expect them to respect you and follow your every world like it's gospel then think again. These players are on 100s of thousands a week, and they complain about doing laps because their team mate fucked up, must be having a laugh.

Also the part about been yelled at by some abusive idiot is actually key to been a good soldier, if your in a warzone and u need to get to point A to secure the rest of the team can get to point B, but point A may get you shot, when the guy shouts get ass there now, you fucking do it, he doesn't stop sit you down and say "excuses me fine fella do you perhaps fancy going over there and maybe getting shot at it doesn't matter if you say no and we all die, at least I didn't shout at you and asked you rather politely" have a word.

Edited by YorkshireBlue

Don’t know it it’s just me but I’m getting pretty concerned that updates on Poch becoming our next manager have gone very quiet. I think he’s the best we could get in our current position butt the longer it goes the more questions I have. He probably won’t sign until our Prem status is 100% certain or is he looking elsewhere ?

1 minute ago, Seymop said:

Don’t know it it’s just me but I’m getting pretty concerned that updates on Poch becoming our next manager have gone very quiet. I think he’s the best we could get in our current position butt the longer it goes the more questions I have. He probably won’t sign until our Prem status is 100% certain or is he looking elsewhere ?

Prem status is nearly secure if not 100%.

Hope it's all but official.

Of course knowing how unlucky things like to turn out, the stop of rumor may be worrying, but on the other hand, maybe someone at the club finally got ahold of everything leaking out left and right AND announcing Poch (or whoever) now would further undermine Frank and general morale, so they may rightfully let him work and leave immediate future to immediate future.

51 minutes ago, Vegetable said:

Of course knowing how unlucky things like to turn out, the stop of rumor may be worrying, but on the other hand, maybe someone at the club finally got ahold of everything leaking out left and right AND announcing Poch (or whoever) now would further undermine Frank and general morale, so they may rightfully let him work and leave immediate future to immediate future.

That seems plausible, and hopefully the only reason why it's taken this long.

Maybe they were worried about how the crowd would react to an ex-Tottenham manager being announced with a former Chelsea player still in charge.

Silly, but it's makes sense that they would.

• 2 months later...

Frank is on newest Diary of a CEO podcast with some insights on his career and coaching philosophy. Quite an interesting listen so far.

In this conversation Frank and Steven discuss topics, such as:
    •    His father’s role in his success
    •    His fear of failure
    •    His work ethic and understanding of his weaknesses
    •    The coping mechanisms he has used along the way
    •    What it takes to be a modern manager
    •    Creating an environment for success
    •    The challengers of being a modern player
    •    How his mothers death impacted him
    •    His plans for Chelsea

Edited by Vegetable

The trouble with Frank is that under these circumstances he speaks well and you can see a board giving him a job, then the reality of day to day management kicks in and he’s simply not there yet, similar to his playing career compared to standards (expectations?) these days.

Plus, I will never get over how moody he was with fans when he was on my Stuttgart flight with Big Pete, who was the polar opposite, so I do have a tough time believing this Chelsea close to the heart talk, City boy.