The Conte Thread

I think there are two major reasons why the board makes the transfers.

1.) the transfers go along with Chelsea club and its idea, not the idea of manager. Because if the manager gets the sack, its possible his players are no longer useful for next manager etc. Instead we have board making decisions on players and we pick managers fitting those players.

2.) if Conte openly wants lets say Alex Sandro, what happens with Alonso? After having good season and now suddenly benched? Obviously the relationship would not be as good anymore. Or if Sandro or anyne else doesnt come, Alonso would then be in awkward situation, knowing Conte wanted to bench him, but now has no other option.

IMO its allright if the board makes decisions. But in our case, the board doesnt seem to be ambitious enough and find the weaknesses in this team that need improvement. Therefore they should listen to Conte, but either they dont or they are failing to bring targets that were picked. Either way, it points towards failure.

Ridiculous example but still, PSG had Draxler, Lucas, Pastore and Di Maria, yet they sign Neymar. Ambition. Improvement. United has Valencia, but they are keen on another RB. City has plenty of attackers, yet they added Bernardo Silva. We should not follow that footrprint of overloading the squad with big money players, but we should go the middle way, which improves our team in places that need more quality or quantity. It seems we are not doing it.

6 minutes ago, The Chels said:

Doubt it. Conte is much more similar to Mourinho than people want to believe.

Either way he has to make do now, yeah he can go on about wanting more players but it look like we're  not going to be having a mass recruitment policy. He made the most out of scraps last year, albeit we were down 1 competition. The objectives remain the same I guess, top 4 and a decent run in the CL..

1 hour ago, -Kaplan- said:

So if we sign VVD, we will have 6 CBs for 3 positions? 

(Cahill, Andreas, Luiz, Azpilicueta, Rudiger, VVD)

Would rather sign someone else. 2 WBs and a Midfielder. 

We are not signing vvd. 

The club will not do such thing. 

The more likely scenario is that Barcelona buy coutinho and then Liverpool splash the cash on vvd. 

Club moves like snail and this giving the opportunity to Liverpool to step in with big money. 

1 hour ago, Chelsea? said:

Yet we're spending 50m on another CB when we have desperate needs elsewhere 

Are we? All I've seen is Van Djik handed in a transfer request. Any of us, Liverpool or City will now continuously be linked with him until he eventually signs for someone.. Let's see what the next 20 days brings us but I see no reason why we can't still finish top 4 with what we've got now. Depth is a major issue, but hell play the kids lol.

1 hour ago, LDN Blue said:

Are we? All I've seen is Van Djik handed in a transfer request. Any of us, Liverpool or City will now continuously be linked with him until he eventually signs for someone.. Let's see what the next 20 days brings us but I see no reason why we can't still finish top 4 with what we've got now. Depth is a major issue, but hell play the kids lol.

The fact that we're interested is the problem. 

On 06/08/2017 at 4:35 PM, Styles said:

It makes a massive difference when somebody who shouldn't even be in the starting 11 is made captain - solidifying his role in the team. That's unforgiveable. I genuinely want Conte out sooner rather than later just so we don't lose Christensen.

Antonio has demonstrated his potential to help this team. Andreas has not yet done that in my opinion. This leads me to conclude that it would be plain wrong to sacrifice the former for the latter.

Your concern about the captaincy only makes sense if you believe that Gary's status will influence Antonio's selection decisions. I don't. If Gaz is starting it'll be because Antonio thinks he's the best option, not because he's the club captain. Now, if Antonio making Gary skipper is evidence that the boss expects him to be a regular, then the captaincy itself makes no difference. If the manager thinks he's the best then Gaz will play, armband or no armband.

Although I don't share the widespread belief in the badness of Gary Cahill, I'm not one who accepts that football professionals automatically have a better understanding of the game than we fans do. In the end though someone has to decide who plays and that someone has to be the manager. We would all be outraged if the board was telling Antonio who to select but it would be no less outrageous if the head coach was taking his instructions from you or me. He's got to choose, and he's going to choose. I'm more comfortable with that than you seem you be.

33 minutes ago, the wes said:

Agree with the quote.

Conte helped Chelsea win the title and he just lost two key players (both of them would fit into any other EPL side) in the same transfer window.  

Either back him in the transfer market or watch him walk away.

30 minutes ago, Reddish-Blue said:

Agree with the quote.

Conte helped Chelsea win the title and he just lost two key players (both of them would fit into any other EPL side) in the same transfer window.  

Either back him in the transfer market or watch him walk away.

Conte vs Juventus board = conte walked  conte vs chelsea board.?? 

"If Conte doesn't get the players he wants, it wouldn't surprise me if he walked" @Chris_Sutton73 says 'agitated' #CFC manager could leave.

Jamie Carragher: I'll be surprised if Antonio Conte is still at Chelsea in a year

31 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

"If Conte doesn't get the players he wants, it wouldn't surprise me if he walked" @Chris_Sutton73 says 'agitated' #CFC manager could leave.

Jamie Carragher: I'll be surprised if Antonio Conte is still at Chelsea in a year

Honestly I hate this story media are trying to create. For one, why is club supposed to "give" Conte the players he "wants"? They are not pokemons, and sometimes it's impossible to get them.  Sure, if they do then really good, but if they don't, for me is not fair to walk away. Besides, Conte would have to buy himself out of the contract, that's gonna cost a lot, I doubt it will happen anyway. I hate media...

54 minutes ago, Fernando said:

We will buy three players. They will be in the mold of the pappys, Héctor and pato. 

That is what the board will give you. 

Honestly, Pato wouldn't be a bad signing as 4th striker/backup attacking midfielder...considering we have no depth. 

2 hours ago, Fernando said:

We will buy three players. They will be in the mold of the pappys, Héctor and pato. 

That is what the board will give you. 

This Papy and Hector narrative is getting beyond boring and ignorant.