The Conte Thread

4 minutes ago, Special Juan said:

Weird thing is, if the team start slow the managers gets dumped...Yet the board starts slow we are told to be patient. 

Thing is, so far Chelsea signed Morata, Bakayoko and Rudiger. Yes two of them are deemed necessary (Costa & Matic) but there aren't many clubs in the Prem who have bought more or more precise, better quality. About 100 mio. net spent in the market. I think the club will still sign 1-3 more guys and then the situation won't be that bad overall.

What i'm having trouble grasping is that the club is apparently after Van Dijk, but there should already be enough defenders within the ranks. Maybe it's just something the newspapers like to talk about...nonsens afterall.

24 minutes ago, Georgy said:

Lets enjoy Conte while we still can he is 99% leaving after this season no matter what happens.

How can you be so sure?
As aformentioned 3 mayor signings have been done, 2 young guns have been integrated in the squad and new reinforcements are still a good possibility.

If Conte were to leave, how many clubs would give him a better work environment? On paper there're only a handful of clubs who are able to outhustle Chelsea in the transfermarket and most of the clubs have already good coaches. Conte knows that it's difficult out there, therefore he signed the new contract and therefore he keeps on working here. He's the weakest link and should be grateful to have a big job in football. Of course it works both ways, but Chelsea kept the key players and added fresh blood. You can lose on penalties to Arsenal during pre season, it's not the end of the world, although some try to demand otherwise.

Too early to say how our season will pan out. 

Usually by the end of the year is when you come to that conclusion. 

Surely after many years you guys would learn that by now? 

The issue is depth, has been since end of the season and still is... 

So let's hope the board are smart and not delusional to let us stay like this the rest of the season.

And hopefully it's something worthwhile not the drinkwaters of this world. 

56 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Too early to say how our season will pan out. 

Usually by the end of the year is when you come to that conclusion. 

Surely after many years you guys would learn that by now? 

The issue is depth, has been since end of the season and still is... 

So let's hope the board are smart and not delusional to let us stay like this the rest of the season.

And hopefully it's something worthwhile not the drinkwaters of this world. 

Another world class attacker on the right wing or a creative spark in the middle of the park or a guy just as talented as Sandro. Depth is a concern, but nonetheless club could also do with some leading new talents. Of course it's not deemed necessary, just pointing out that i wouldn't be against the idea of bringing in some new worldies.

On a more serious note, the club will surely buy some guys. But it might not be the guys best on paper some of you might dreamed of. :P

48 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Only we can win the league, break our transfer record and have fans acting like we are in Yeovil Town esque peril. Admittedly we aren't in an ideal position right now but some of the comments are (trying to be diplomatic in my wording) utterly ridiculous.

I agree mate, I just hope that given there are shortcomings in the squad and we've severely depleted ourselves so close to the season start, time and patience is also given on the manager front.

There was definitely a different vibe with Jose the second time that the club stuck with him for far longer than any other manager previously would have been afforded.

Judging by Batshuayi's inability to create good transition play, I think we another striker. We need another CM. We need another LWB.  

Wishful thinking: Llorente/Gabbiadini, Gareth Bale, and a younger, quicker version of Borja Valero or young version of Riquelme for CM, plus, maybe another centre back.

1 hour ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

For me it's Conte's comments week after week after week in the press about needing more signings, that's giving credence to many of our worries. 

Also, we signed 3 players and broke our transfer record, but need I remind you how poor our transfer windows have been since 2014?

Chelsea needed (imo) a £250M type of summer spending spree. And that's what was being we sold to the fans. There was real optimism that the club had learned from their mistakes that PL Champions must strengthen mightily and be ruthless when doing so and were going to go ALL OUT in backing Antonio Conte. But as of August 6th, not only have we not done that, but there's still MAJOR work needed to be done.

Why can't the board ever be proactive, and get these deals done?

If Marina/Emenalo had properly acquired a top CM in 2015 or 2016, a CB in 2014, we'd be in a much better position for Summer 2017. But they didn't. And because of that backlog of failings, Chelsea have many holes to fill: 2 wingbacks, 2 CMs, 1 RF. And that's AFTER already signing a CB, CM, ST.   

IMO, Conte succeeded last year IN-SPITE of the Board. And that's the crux of the debate, imo.

If people feel the Board have done a good job, and all this squad needs is Ross Barkely, Danny Drinkwater and Oxlade Chamberlain to go toe-to-toe with Madrid/Bayern/PSG in the UCL, I wish I could share in that delusion, I really wish I could. (Not saying you agree with this last bit, but you get my jist.) 

When people defend the board, I ask myself, what evidence is their that these lot know how to close a deal for any player that is of real genuine quality? 

I don't mind constructive criticism and you raise some valid point's, i just can't subscribe to the sky is falling down mentality a lot here possess, i would class some post's here as overreact and kneejerk even if we were in Yeovil position (for those who don't know, they lost 8-2 at the weekend and are overwhelming favorite's to drop from the football league).

Also the board is a sensitive subject among all fanbases, take us and City fans for example, we look at envy at them throwing money at all in sundry until something sticks while on the flip side they (seen on Bluemoon few times) find it a bit unnerving that they have numerous overvalued player's not producing and lavish praise at us for getting the likes of Hazard, Kante, Azpi, Tibo for good prices (reletive to modern day). Liverpool fans think Klopp should walk if Coutinho goes and are livid with the VVD saga, United fans think Woodward's obsession with Galatico's is holding them back, Spurs fans have been hammering Levy this summer and we all know about the way Arsenal are run.

Am i happy with the summer all in all? Ofcourse not, however i do believe at worse we will sign two depth player's (likely Drinkwater and someone like Candreva, worse case scnareo that is, i believe we are still trying for Sandro and we will make another Alonso esque signing if we fail) and if we do have we done worse than the rivals? I don't think. Our way of doing thing's has it's flaws as shown during 2015 and to an extent this summer, but i most certainly don't look at any of our rivals and think "i wish we did thing's that way" either.

I defiantly don't think Conte is happy but i certainly don't think he's on the verge of rage quitting either.

We already have a plot if things go wrong this season: Conte will the last victim of the stupid pair Emenalo/Marina.

I only have two things to say:

1- It really worries me that it seems Conte does not have a fucking plan B. Its always the same 3 CB formation no matter what, and in the second lag of last season it was clear many teams were learning how to create problems for this formation. Actually many teams were just emulating Conte's formation and with some success, just like Wenger did today, and Spurs did last season, they never repeated that formation, but used 3 CBs with the only purpose of beating us.

2- Costa was a unique striker, and he was told by Conte himself to go. The problem is: there is no better striker available in the market, not even Lukaku was this striker and Morara isn't. I'm sure that any team in the world would choose Costa over both Lukaku and Morata if they had they chance to do so.

One final word: this squad is not as bad or lacking depth as some of you are saying. For example, last season Moses was out for some games. Instead of using Zouma in CB and moving Azpi to RWB, he was using Pedro in that position, and someone pointed there were no better option than Pedro for the "Moses" role.

Rudiger is a new player, he is a CB, he can play with Luiz and Cahill while moving Azpi to RWB. Azpi is not a CB in the first place. He played in that position because Conte was willing to try something different, same to Moses becoming a regular starting XI. He should try different things as well, instead of using over and over the same formula that worked.

I'm actually positive about this season. This game against Arsenal was a fucking friendly. Period. At some point Conte will understand that asking for more players won't make things right. That was exactly what he did last season. Instead of complaining about lack of quality player, and complaining why he was getting Luiz and Alonso instead of Kouilibaly and Naingolan, he found a way to get the best out of his team. 

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I don't mind constructive criticism and you raise some valid point's, i just can't subscribe to the sky is falling down mentality a lot here possess, i would class some post's here as overreact and kneejerk even if we were in Yeovil position (for those who don't know, they lost 8-2 at the weekend and are overwhelming favorite's to drop from the football league).

Also the board is a sensitive subject among all fanbases, take us and City fans for example, we look at envy at them throwing money at all in sundry until something sticks while on the flip side they (seen on Bluemoon few times) find it a bit unnerving that they have numerous overvalued player's not producing and lavish praise at us for getting the likes of Hazard, Kante, Azpi, Tibo for good prices (reletive to modern day). Liverpool fans think Klopp should walk if Coutinho goes and are livid with the VVD saga, United fans think Woodward's obsession with Galatico's is holding them back, Spurs fans have been hammering Levy this summer and we all know about the way Arsenal are run.

Am i happy with the summer all in all? Ofcourse not, however i do believe at worse we will sign two depth player's (likely Drinkwater and someone like Candreva, worse case scnareo that is, i believe we are still trying for Sandro and we will make another Alonso esque signing if we fail) and if we do have we done worse than the rivals? I don't think. Our way of doing thing's has it's flaws as shown during 2015 and to an extent this summer, but i most certainly don't look at any of our rivals and think "i wish we did thing's that way" either.

I defiantly don't think Conte is happy but i certainly don't think he's on the verge of rage quitting either.

Valid points all around. 

Why must you be so measured and calm.

3 hours ago, Blue-in-me-Veins said:

If people feel the Board have done a good job, and all this squad needs is Ross Barkely, Danny Drinkwater and Oxlade Chamberlain to go toe-to-toe with Madrid/Bayern/PSG in the UCL, I wish I could share in that delusion, I really wish I could. (Not saying you agree with this last bit, but you get my jist.) 

The problem is: most of the post here are not worried about Madrid/PSG/Bayern in UCL. Most posts are suggesting the squad is so bad that a top 4 finish in Premier League is a distant dream.

2 hours ago, Henrique said:

Most posts are suggesting the squad is so bad that a top 4 finish in Premier League is a distant dream.

That is clearly an exageration, but I can't blame those who are not optimistic at this point.

Yesterday we were very bad, Morata looked like Torres. It's early and there's no need for overreactions, but we lost another trophy against fecking Wenger, so there's no need to complain about people complaining. 

I am scared because we seem to be relying on Hazard a lot. This team lacks creativity without Eden. We need some talent, Willian and Pedro do not cut it anymore, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, Henrique said:

The problem is: most of the post here are not worried about Madrid/PSG/Bayern in UCL. Most posts are suggesting the squad is so bad that a top 4 finish in Premier League is a distant dream.

I'm not going to lie, if the window closed today, i too would be worried. 

But if/when the adequate bodies are attained then yeah, we'll be solid.