The Conte Thread

1 minute ago, Pizy said:

It's a bit of both mixed with some obvious behind the scenes tapping up from Mourinho. Conte would've wanted to keep him and we could've because he was under contract. Mourinho (or his people) were in his ear and turned his head. We know first hand how good of a salesman Mou is so he surely sold Matic on how important he'd be there.

Yeah, and Mourinho probably didn't even need that good of a salespitch to convince him. United are playing with a three man midfield which suits Matic's strengths much, much better than the 3-4-3 so getting a starting role there in a competitive team sounds pretty good compared to fighting for a place in the squad at Chelsea in a role he's not at his best in.

As much as the board have fucked up this summer, selling Matic is not even close one of the things I'd hold against them the most.

11 hours ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

Winning the premier league title is the holy grail now... the prize money from winning it is WAAAAYYY more than winning the Champions League

Yes but there's nothing like the prestige you get from winning the ECL, plus it don't arf make me 'appy i grinned for a year.

hes1ofus

37 minutes ago, Jype said:

What makes people automatically think those Matic comments are a dig at the board? It might just as well be that Conte wanted to keep him but the player insisted on going with increased competition for his place so the club didn't want to keep him against his will.

Get out, have you not read the rules? Anything to do with the board and you must act all hysterical and act like we are heading out of the football league.

10 minutes ago, Jype said:

Yeah, and Mourinho probably didn't even need that good of a salespitch to convince him. United are playing with a three man midfield which suits Matic's strengths much, much better than the 3-4-3 so getting a starting role there in a competitive team sounds pretty good compared to fighting for a place in the squad at Chelsea in a role he's not at his best in.

As much as the board have fucked up this summer, selling Matic is not even close one of the things I'd hold against them the most.

Don't think many (myself included) are that upset that he was sold, more so that he was sold to a side that will instantly be improved by his joining and has the ability to directly hurt our chances.

Tbf for the money offered, I would have sold Matic too. He was piss poor for most of the season. Our midfield was a Kante one man show. Even a half fit Bakayoko can only do better. I'd much rather have Drinkwater, who has a better understanding with Kante anyway than Matic in my squad. Still it is not a good sign that we sell players the manage rhas in his plans and it did not seem that Matic was keen on leaving it felt more like him being pushed out. Luckily this is not a KDB/Salah/Mata/Lukaku/Bertrand etc. case were we sold too soon. economically and probably also from a technical point of view a brilliant decision to sell matic. But strategically it might come to back to haunt us if this deteroriates the relationship with Conte and the board.

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Tbf for the money offered, I would have sold Matic too. He was piss poor for most of the season. Our midfield was a Kante one man show. Even a half fit Bakayoko can only do better. I'd much rather have Drinkwater, who has a better understanding with Kante anyway than Matic in my squad. Still it is not a good sign that we sell players the manage rhas in his plans and it did not seem that Matic was keen on leaving it felt more like him being pushed out. Luckily this is not a KDB/Salah/Mata/Lukaku/Bertrand etc. case were we sold too soon. economically and probably also from a technical point of view a brilliant decision to sell matic. But strategically it might come to back to haunt us if this deteroriates the relationship with Conte and the board.

very soon we will see how important was matic for this team.

10 minutes ago, whats happening said:

very soon we will see how important was matic for this team.

Yeah Matic was important in getting overrun in every bloody big game in the entire season. Important in being clumsy and slow on and off the ball, misplacing the simplest of passes and being about the most one-footed person alive. 

26 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Yeah Matic was important in getting overrun in every bloody big game in the entire season. Important in being clumsy and slow on and off the ball, misplacing the simplest of passes and being about the most one-footed person alive. 

he wasnt that bad. this whole narrative that kante did all the work himself is pretty annoying and stupid.

and we can be worse next season. no one knows how bakayoko will end up. he can easily be worse than matic.

2 hours ago, Jype said:

What makes people automatically think those Matic comments are a dig at the board? It might just as well be that Conte wanted to keep him but the player insisted on going with increased competition for his place so the club didn't want to keep him against his will.

"My idea was to use Matic to sweeten in Bakayoko and ultimately to bench him in a few months when the French will be ready. Unfortunately, the Serbian was having none of that and wanted to leave this club ; and, at the same time, Manchester United did bid a significant amount of money. We thus had to sell and to accelerate the process blah blah...."

Indeed. Reading between the lines is cool — but there is not always things to read, between those lines. Sometimes, plain statements are, well, mere plain statements without any hidden meaning. And here, we are most certainly in one of those cases : a mere exposition, a mere statement made by Conte without any masterplan hidden behind it.

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

we won 30 games last year...

3 hours ago, Jype said:

conte prefers different types of CM 

i think that a good name could be matuidi 

On 8/8/2017 at 10:44 AM, Tomo said:

This Papy and Hector narrative is getting beyond boring and ignorant.

Because it looks more then likely that is what will do. All summer to get targets and just now they are working hard?

They will default and get just some crappy player like Hector to be sent out on loan. 

General consensus amongst pundits and journalists seems to be that we've taken a step back this summer, that we won't really compete for the title, that we made a ridiculous decision to sell Matic to United, and that Conte isn't long for the job.

Hard to disagree with any of that, sadly.

1 hour ago, Fernando said:

Because it looks more then likely that is what will do. All summer to get targets and just now they are working hard?

They will default and get just some crappy player like Hector to be sent out on loan. 

It has happened once in how many year's? Why is it more likely to be another Papy/Hector end of window as opposed to another Alonso/Luiz, Willian or Remy type?

1 hour ago, Pizy said:

General consensus amongst pundits and journalists seems to be that we've taken a step back this summer, that we won't really compete for the title, that we made a ridiculous decision to sell Matic to United, and that Conte isn't long for the job.

Hard to disagree with any of that, sadly.

We may not have had a great window, but as it stands only City have done enough to overtake us.