The Conte Thread

Hope our board and Roman were watching City last night. They need a wake up call to show them that there's a potential there for Chelsea to get left behind if huge investment isn't made this summer. They're already miles ahead this season and will only get stronger.

City have a poor season last year and what do they do? Spend over £100m on attacking talent alone. For two players! And another £50m combined on Delph and Otamendi. They still finished in a CL place and felt they needed that sort of investment.

We're going to finish midtable (maybe even bottom half) so we're going to need to spend at least that much or we will become Liverpool or Spuds of recent times where we'll be battling with the likes of West Ham for 5th/6th and looking with desperation at a CL place. 

A club like City who already have a core of players like Aguero, De Bruyne, and Silva and play much better football than us are going to take a big step up and become even better starting next season. They have the potential to leave us so far behind that we won't have a hope of catching them for years. Nevermind that we'll also have Mourinho to contend with.

This will be the most important summer in our history. We have the manager. We now need the club to decide if they want to reinforce its status as one of Europe's elite or become an also-ran and watch City, United, Arsenal, and even the likes of fucking Spurs, Liverpool, and West Ham leave us behind.

11 minutes ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

And another one.

Again you are suggesting the imaginary player we should sign ? Dismissing the particular because of something and the proposition is that super player with all those qualities, who is available to us and who surely is there somewhere. His name ? Mr. Riddle. Still look for that striker you like to mention on regular basis, who is improvement on Costa and has all those attributes and availability and want to come here.

Oh dear. Read the earlier part of the conversation. It really won't take you long.

6 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I go along with you 90% of the way but I'd put it a little differently. You're talking about spending, I'd prefer to talk about recruiting.

Pretty much every member of TC probably agrees with you that we need to recruit and that recruiting well will almost certainly mean spending big. They'd probably also agree however that spending big does not necessarily equal spending well. While in recent windows our spending has been relatively low, it is still true that we have spent huge amounts on transfers. Our problem is not just about how much we spend, it's about how well we spend. I shudder to think of the oceans of cash wasted on players who have proved to be unable to help our first team.

More than ever; to strengthen the squad, to dramatically improve our first team, to enthuse those of the current group who will remain next season, we need to add quality. Of course quality players can cost fortunes but so too can bad ones. As we know from bitter experience. I say don't count the zeros in their transfer fees and wage packets, calculate the talent in their veins, and do it better than we've done before.

Very well put. We need to stop spunking huge cash on average players. Or settling for the second or third option on the list the manager will give the board for any given position.

1 hour ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

Have you deleted your posts ? Which are you refering to ? I just scrolled through last 5 pages.

I didn't think posts could be deleted by non-mods like me.

Based on what you say about going back 5 pages, I assume you have seen this post. This is the one I referred to and which I think deals with the points you made.

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I didn't think posts could be deleted by non-mods like me.

Based on what you say about going back 5 pages, I assume you have seen this post. This is the one I referred to and which I think deals with the points you made.

Thanks, because I really did search in the wilderness.

But that's what I said. You again suggest that imaginary player ! Who's that ? I really want Chelsea to sign him, he is ticking all the boxes with those attributes, I want him. And that striker you're talking about too. And that improvement on Oscar. Great set of players, hopefully they have an ID and not Levy-like chairman.

And speaking stricktly of Kante, knowing that you were cold on Essien attributes on the ball then it's not surprise you are on Kante's too ! But I have a big reservation to that, I hold them both in higher regards.

13 hours ago, Clockwork said:

Don't think people understand that Conte wanted to move away from 3-5-2 at Juve. Marrota and Juve were just too cheap to being the players Conte wanted.

Thing is, even if he'll play the "3-5-2" It won't be the one he used at Juve. It'll Just become a 5-2-3 with traditional fullbacks and wingers, there's no two ways about it, as it is the only way it would ever suit the league.

4 hours ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

And speaking stricktly of Kante, knowing that you were cold on Essien attributes on the ball then it's not surprise you are on Kante's too ! But I have a big reservation to that, I hold them both in higher regards.

OK, that's an honest disagreement. Many, many people agree with you. They're wrong, but they do do agree with you. :)

4 hours ago, Blue Colored Sky said:

But that's what I said. You again suggest that imaginary player ! Who's that ? I really want Chelsea to sign him, he is ticking all the boxes with those attributes, I want him. And that striker you're talking about too. And that improvement on Oscar. Great set of players, hopefully they have an ID and not Levy-like chairman.

Firstly, the referenced post addresses your point about whether quality players are affordable and available to us.

Secondly, it recognises that such players may not be, and, if so, that the practical thing would be to slide down the list. It accepts we might end up at Kante, but it argues that we should not start there.

Thirdly, better players we know of are out there for all the positions you mention so there is nothing mythical about them. If, for example, you are telling me you can't name a player who you think might do a better job for Chelsea than Oscar, than I'm going to say that I don't believe you. What is more, there are almost certainly also better players out there who are not yet widely known outside their own clubs and scouting circles. There are several players of whom I had never previously heard doing great things in this season's Premier League. Perhaps that's true of you too.

Years ago I became very interested in Chelsea signing Mousa Dembele from AZ Alkmaar. I watched an AZ vs Ajax game to see how he performed in what was then a top of the table clash. As it happened, he was poor that day but, for the first time, I noticed and commented on a bloke called Suarez playing up front for Ajax. This season I've been watching Rennes to keep an eye on Jed and, because of that, became aware Osumane Dembele. The young Dembele is now top of my transfer wish list* this summer. Football fans, especially those of us who don't play computer games, notice players when we come across them. For scouts it is different. I had never heard of Ronaldo when he arrived at ManU but it turns out that several sides around the continent had tried to buy him from Lisbon. Arsenal even thought they had reached an agreement with club and player.

As fans we can see the areas where our team requires strengthening. We may even be able to suggest some solutions but, even if we are not able to, that does not absolve the club's recruiters of the responsibility to find those solutions. That's the nature of the competition. Players compete for results on the pitch, clubs compete for players off it. It's no good throwing up your hands and saying, "Please sir, Oscar is the best I can do." If you you want the prizes, excuses don't cut it. The Premier League has been poor in recent seasons but I don't believe it is going to stay that way. We must improve.

* We almost certainly won't win the race for Dembele's signature but we should at least take part.

10 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

OK, that's an honest disagreement. Many, many people agree with you. They're wrong, but they do do agree with you. :)

Firstly, the referenced post addresses your point about whether quality players are affordable and available to us.

Secondly, it recognises that such players may not be, and, if so, that the practical thing would be to slide down the list. It accepts we might end up at Kante, but it argues that we should not start there.

Thirdly, better players we know of are out there for all the positions you mention so there is nothing mythical about them. If, for example, you are telling me you can't name a player who you think might do a better job for Chelsea than Oscar, than I'm going to say that I don't believe you. What is more, there are almost certainly also better players out there who are not yet widely known outside their own clubs and scouting circles. There are several players of whom I had never previously heard doing great things in this season's Premier League. Perhaps that's true of you too.

Years ago I became very interested in Chelsea signing Mousa Dembele from AZ Alkmaar. I watched an AZ vs Ajax game to see how he performed in what was then a top of the table clash. As it happened, he was poor that day but, for the first time, I noticed and commented on a bloke called Suarez playing up front for Ajax. This season I've been watching Rennes to keep an eye on Jed and, because of that, became aware Osumane Dembele. The young Dembele is now top of my transfer wish list* this summer. Football fans, especially those of us who don't play computer games, notice players when we come across them. For scouts it is different. I had never heard of Ronaldo when he arrived at ManU but it turns out that several sides around the continent had tried to buy him from Lisbon. Arsenal even thought they had reached an agreement with club and player.

As fans we can see the areas where our team requires strengthening. We may even be able to suggest some solutions but, even if we are not able to, that does not absolve the club's recruiters of the responsibility to find those solutions. That's the nature of the competition. Players compete for results on the pitch, clubs compete for players off it. It's no good throwing up your hands and saying, "Please sir, Oscar is the best I can do." If you you want the prizes, excuses don't cut it. The Premier League has been poor in recent seasons but I don't believe it is going to stay that way. We must improve.

* We almost certainly won't win the race for Dembele's signature but we should at least take part.

Ok, thanks.

I think the clubs are drawing attributes first then try to match player to that, especially before the transfer market opens, no the other way around. But then they have to compromise. It's very rare that you have right player available at the right time. Diego Costa is the buy of that compromise as are several other players.

We have an example how going for "perfect" players can turn out last summer.

I certainly don't believe that there are many right players for Chelsea somewhere out there when they can be bought ouright. Hidden gems ? In these times ?

They are looking for them arbitrally But we want energetic midfielder with high amounts of tackles, right ? Then Nainggolan/Kante is the best we can get. Even though it's not perfect.

Kante did for Leicester what Matic did for us in 14/15.

Similarly I would be very wary of a similar burnout occuring.

We have nothing to play fore next season aside from the 2 domestic cups - we will not attract world class players even by throwing money at the problem of no CL football; please use this opportunity to blood in more youth built around an experienced spine, and we will come back stronger the season after.

Forster

Aina     Zouma   Terry   Dave

RLC    Ake

Willian       Cescy     Hazard/Traore

Costa

Firstly, Courtois and Hazard should be issued an ultimatum: Improve or out. I'm tempted by Fraser Forster anyway, so I've put him in there.

Mikel can stay but only if he doesn't bitch about being a squad player.

Miazga & Cahill are our backup CBs. Kenedy can rotate with Dave & Aina for left back. Failing that Dasilva or JCS can be brought in during emergencies.

Okay, Terry MUST stay. It's non negotiable from my point of view. Yes, this season will likely be his last as a starting player, but it is vital as the key experience at the back.

Ake returns from loan - starts as our DM; but you'll notice that the pairing is box to box in nature. A bit more traditional. Cesc plays just ahead. In a 4-4-2 he could play as a fasle LW but being able to drift in.

Traore plays RW. Willian the left; Musonda can come in for any of those 3, as can Pedro. Colkett can be the third choice.

In my personal opinion, getting rid of Costa would be insanity. Pato can stay and be second choice there.

That's what I'd like. I can't see Roman reaching into the chequebook to bail us out this time round.

1 hour ago, CurlyHairLikeLuiz said:

We have nothing to play fore next season aside from the 2 domestic cups - we will not attract world class players even by throwing money at the problem of no CL football; please use this opportunity to blood in more youth built around an experienced spine, and we will come back stronger the season after.

Forster

RLC    Ake

Costa

Firstly, Courtois and Hazard should be issued an ultimatum: Improve or out. I'm tempted by Fraser Forster anyway, so I've put him in there.

Miazga & Cahill are our backup CBs. Kenedy can rotate with Dave & Aina for left back. Failing that Dasilva or JCS can be brought in during emergencies.

Okay, Terry MUST stay. It's non negotiable from my point of view. Yes, this season will likely be his last as a starting player, but it is vital as the key experience at the back.

Ake returns from loan - starts as our DM; but you'll notice that the pairing is box to box in nature. A bit more traditional. Cesc plays just ahead. In a 4-4-2 he could play as a fasle LW but being able to drift in.

Traore plays RW. Willian the left; Musonda can come in for any of those 3, as can Pedro. Colkett can be the third choice.

In my personal opinion, getting rid of Costa would be insanity. Pato can stay and be second choice there.

That's what I'd like. I can't see Roman reaching into the chequebook to bail us out this time round.

A couple of thoughts:

• Why Forster and not Butland who is younger & better?
  • Kenedy shouldn't be a LB. Ever. LM/LW is his position.
  • Aina is a squad playet a most, in this moment. If he plays and looks good, he can start a few matches. If he plays them good, he can become a starter. Starter from the start? No way.
  • I'd play Ake on LB and Azpi on RB.
  • Zouma & new young defender (Rudiger?), Terry shouldn't be our starting player next season. He should guide young players with his experience.
  • Fuck 4231 already and change it to 433 for the God's sake.

1 hour ago, CurlyHairLikeLuiz said:

Forster

RLC    Ake

Costa

Not enough to compete in the PL imo...