The Conte Thread

6 hours ago, Fernando said:

This is why I wanted Bielsa for the interim because he would have done it. 

When everything is lost you need a mad man to shake things up. Hiddink did nothing of that sort. 

What a wasted opportunity. 

I was hoping for Bielsa too.  Bielsa interim, to Sampaoli permanent.

Here's a scary thought:  Maybe that's exactly what has happened.  And this is how we're going to play next year.

38 minutes ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

I was hoping for Bielsa too.  Bielsa interim, to Sampaoli permanent.

Here's a scary thought:  Maybe that's exactly what has happened.  And this is how we're going to play next year.

Two things i'm sure of, Conte won't use the 3-5-2 nor the 4-2-3-1.
At least not willingly.

16 hours ago, BlueLyon said:

The fuckers should feel the wraith once Conte arrives.

"They have nothing to play for", " they are saving themselves for euros" blah blah

Im tired of this bullshit. They get paid 100k per week to play shit? Seems they stopped playing as soon as last season finished.

Conte will hopefuly smack everyone who doesnt want to play for Chelsea and throw them out of the door. 

Bloody better!!Play for the fans who have made the effort to turn up and fork out stupid prices to see a load of crap!

He has a huge job on his hands and hopefully gets the chance to do it!

I see a report saying Contes going for a 4-2-4 next season which might be interesting. But I did some searching and found this about when he used it before.

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2011/10/23/antonio-contes-system-isnt-a-4-2-4-but-still-provides-excitement/

Jorge Sampaoli: "The offer which I was closest to accepting was from Chelsea. I even met with the owner, but it didn't work out.“

He said the same thing in an interview for a radio in Argentina more than a month ago. I listened to the entire interview back then (video available from the studio as well) and he looked disappointed talking about the opportunity of joining Chelsea. Said that he was Abramovich's 1st choice and felt that nothing can change as long as he is backed by the owner, but the people surrounding Abramovich did not want him and tried to do everything to get into Roman's head. Came up with all sorts of reasons (one was that Sampaoli does not speak a word in English) and in the end they managed to make Roman choose Conte instead of Sampaoli.

43 minutes ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Jorge Sampaoli: "The offer which I was closest to accepting was from Chelsea. I even met with the owner, but it didn't work out.“

He said the same thing in an interview for a radio in Argentina more than a month ago. I listened to the entire interview back then (video available from the studio as well) and he looked disappointed talking about the opportunity of joining Chelsea. Said that he was Abramovich's 1st choice and felt that nothing can change as long as he is backed by the owner, but the people surrounding Abramovich did not want him and tried to do everything to get into Roman's head. Came up with all sorts of reasons (one was that Sampaoli does not speak a word in English) and in the end they managed to make Roman choose Conte instead of Sampaoli.

I have nothing against conte. maybe in the future, we will see sampaoli as our manager, cos romas likes him it seems.

1 hour ago, petre.ispirescu said:

Just sounds like sour grapes tbh. Roman's clearly someone who will make decisions made on his own opinion, he was eager to get Villas-Boas and had a personal interest in procuring him. If he really wanted Sampaoli I think he would've got him.

On 4/13/2016 at 2:13 AM, OhForAGreavsie said:

If you think that then it's clear that you do not know what I'm talking about, or at any rate that you do not share my impression of the player.

Kante falls into the category of footballer we have typically signed. The category which, once we bought enough of them, eventually brought us where we are now. Kante is a player with qualities rather than a player of quality. I say again, we are poor and Kante would improve us. My ambition however is that we sign a player who has Kante's qualities but who is better on the ball. That should be, and I hope is, Antonio's ambition too.

So who are these players in World football? I look at the top clubs in the world and I don't see any that have high qualities in the DM role. Kante is better than Nainggolan if you ask me.

15 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

So who are these players in World football? I look at the top clubs in the world and I don't see any that have high qualities in the DM role. Kante is better than Nainggolan if you ask me.

I'll go as far as to say that I like Kante better than I liked Makelele when in possession. Kante vs Nangolan? Don't know.

19 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I'll go as far as to say that I like Kante better than I liked Makelele when in possession. Kante vs Nangolan? Don't know.

4.5 tackles

4.2 interceptions

1.2 fouls

81% passing completion

3 yellows 

2.3 tackles

2.3 interceptions

1.4 fouls

80% passing completion

10 yellows

I know who I'd like to have. The guy who was a PFA player of the year finalist without having a huge role offensively.

9 hours ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

4.5 tackles

4.2 interceptions

1.2 fouls

81% passing completion

3 yellows 

2.3 tackles

2.3 interceptions

1.4 fouls

80% passing completion

10 yellows

I know who I'd like to have. The guy who was a PFA player of the year finalist without having a huge role offensively.

Which set of stats belong to which player? (Not that stats sell me on much I have to say.)

When I say I don't know which of Nangolan or Kante I'd prefer, I mean I have no opinion because I don't watch Nangolan.

12 hours ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

4.5 tackles

4.2 interceptions

1.2 fouls

81% passing completion

3 yellows 

2.3 tackles

2.3 interceptions

1.4 fouls

80% passing completion

10 yellows

I agree that Kante has been brilliant but those stats do not speak the whole story. Kante plays in a 4-4-2 and has more responsibility to get about the field and put in more tackles/interceptions. Leicester tend to give the opposition the ball while Roma like to play a brand of pass it on the floor type football. So obviously because of that Kante is prone to do more chasing and making more tackles. That is not to underestimate his performance though. He has been brilliant. 3 yellow cards for his type of role in a team that likes to give away possession is fantastic and shows how good he is at making clean interceptions.

Naingollan is a much better passer. Yes, Kante has a slightly better completion but if you are looking at who is the better long passer, dictating play, Naingollan is much better than him in this dept and is a much better striker of the ball. So I think both have different yet some of the same qualities.

2 hours ago, Stats said:

I agree that Kante has been brilliant but those stats do not speak the whole story. Kante plays in a 4-4-2 and has more responsibility to get about the field and put in more tackles/interceptions. Leicester tend to give the opposition the ball while Roma like to play a brand of pass it on the floor type football. So obviously because of that Kante is prone to do more chasing and making more tackles. That is not to underestimate his performance though. He has been brilliant. 3 yellow cards for his type of role in a team that likes to give away possession is fantastic and shows how good he is at making clean interceptions.

Naingollan is a much better passer. Yes, Kante has a slightly better completion but if you are looking at who is the better long passer, dictating play, Naingollan is much better than him in this dept and is a much better striker of the ball. So I think both have different yet some of the same qualities.

I get what you are trying to allude to and while I don't agree with your assessment of the players, I do understand why you've made them. Any midfield that contains Cesc Fabregas and Eden Hazard would flourish with a player like Kante, he has been Matic on roids this year. Many have said Matic was the reason we won the title last year mainly because he broke up everything that came into the midfield area and protected that suspect back 4. I don't think Nainggolan is that type of player, and yes he is the better passer but nothing he does is on a level I would consider akin to a high level. Kante is otherworldly when it comes to breaking up plays and initiating the counter AND he's done it in the league many believe is the fastest. 

When you examine what this current team needs, I would say Kante is without question the player who will make us more formidable because what he does allows our best players to focus on their best attributes. Nainggolan is for me a better Ramires, he can recycle possession better and use the ball more than we've seen from Ramires.