The Conte Thread

25 minutes ago, Henrique said:

Everyone know the difference between manager and head coach, and do you really believe he was announced as "head coach" instead of "manager" doesn't mean anything? 

I know that you don't know what the difference actually is. 

9 minutes ago, LDN Blue said:

Even so, you have to admit it peculiar. In the whole statement they refer to him as "ex Juve manager" and "Italy's current manager". Yet their wording of his role at Chelsea then becomes First Team Coach? Why not just continue the same trend? Lol 

There is probably some sort of contractual/legal difference. And of course there is a difference, but to act like the difference is so common and everyone knows exactly what exact role each term refers to is just hilarious. The only people who actually know in this particular case are the board, Conte and his agent. 

1 hour ago, Last Sicarius said:

Can i ask, what is different between these two words? D:

First Team Coach means Conte (after summer) will be leading the players training, that's it. He'll give club updates at press conferences (considering they're meant to be about the team) but he's only concerned with the first team's football.

Managers may take training themselves, but it can be done by their assistant. Managers have also classically had more of a say in terms of transfer matters, and how the club is run. Managers operate in the club, FTC's operate in first team football.

Good article on the difference by Pochettino: http://www.tottenhamjournal.co.uk/sport/tottenham-hotspur/spurs_boss_why_there_s_a_key_difference_between_a_head_coach_and_manager_1_3861711

Is it something we should be concerned by?

Not really. Conte is brilliant at getting results out of the first team as he showed at Juve, and that's really what we need right now.

As much as this sub likes to criticise Emenalo, he's done so much for the club in terms of youth development and transfers. The last two transfer windows were appalling but compare that to the transfer windows of the top 7 in the last 3 years and we only lose out to Man City.

Conte will be focusing on the players, and he'll work with the board in terms of approving transfers; he just won't be involved in the negotiations themselves.

The only thing it doesn't bode well for is a new contract for JT. Conte will have no say in this matter. He can ask, but the board will decide.

Something that's just come to mind: Conte has adapted to an international setup in the past 2 years, he's used to getting the best out of the players he's got as a coach, not the everyday life of manager. For example, when it comes to scouting I fully expect Conte to not be involved at all. Unlike Mourinho who actively went out to see players, Conte will instead be focusing on the players at his disposal and have his own scouting team setup to identify others.

1 hour ago, Craigus said:

It's a shame to see so many negative comments about this. It seems some of you lot wouldn't be happy whatever happened short of the entire board quitting. 

Haha :lol:

That will only be a temporary fix, one bad transfer and all off a sudden Buck and Emenalo were actually alright and should come back, exactly the same thing happened re Benitez every time Jose dropped points in his first six months back.

Funny thing is growing up I was closer to negative than positive, but some of the overreactions on here reguarly render me speechless and brings out the Ty (overly optimistic supporter) in me.

When I see people getting worked up about his title of coach not manager, I shake my head. Have you considered he does not want to be the manager. I remember an Italian journalist being interviewed, and she believed that transfers are Conte's weakness. Is it not possible he agrees with her and just wants to focus on being the coach?

He may be first team coach that doesnt want to deal with transfers, but he had damn good group of people who worked with him and brought proper players. 

That is probably the reason he wanted to bring few people in. If Chelsea wont allow that and continue with Emenalo and Granovskaia and their bullshit signings that make no sense, it wont matter who is our coach.

Three windows ago, Granovskaia was appointed and all three windows were absolute disaster. 

Bad timing by going after targets on deadline, negotiations with wrong players that only took precious time and finaly choices of alternatives after main targets attempts failed. 

Then there is Emenalo. 

I understand Cuadrado because he was good at fiorentina back then. But Falcao? Djilobodji? Pato? Hector? 

If Mourinho got kicked because of bad results, someone should be kicked because of bad transfers. Simple as that.

And then I wonder who is that special snowflake at club that follows that damn financial fp so well, while every other club doesnt give shit about it. I respect we try to follow rules, but look where it got us.

We can appoint Conte, Guardiola and Simeone at same time but if we wont fix problems in board, we wont get anywhere.

About Roman, he was here since 2003 and for first 10 years, we created brilliant team. Spent alot, but it was effective. I dont think its his fault for current situation as some think, I would say there were many board changes and clueless people replaced those who actualy understood football.

Even lets say buying Fabregas who is absolute opposite of Mou player was questionable at least. Its like Guardiola would go and buy Mikel.

I really like the signing. 

Saying that though, I'm not sure he will get the freedom Mou or other managers would get here in terms of running the squad how they like, or making the changes they deem necessary. I honestly think this is a big deal. 

For as much as we bag on Arsenal, they have at least had some consistency in manager, and hence through that have been able to come to the conclusion Wenger is past it now. I don't want our club to linger and think over things as much as Arsenal does, but apart from a catastrophic start like this season, I would actually like the manager to be given his time to change and create his style and way of playing. If we come 4th next season, and then 3rd the one after... Don't sack him. 

Some calm and poise is what we need. Hopefully this is the start of it, but I'm not getting my hopes up. We have a fantastic new coach. One that adapts and is multi faceted in his approach to the game. I just don't want the same crap to happen over and over. 

I checked the Chelsea site announcements http://www.chelseafc.com/news/special/mourinho-appointed.html for Mourinho signing and http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/04/conte-appointed.html for Conte. You can certainly see that Mourinho was appointed manager while Conte is appointed first team head coach. So, Mourinho certainly had some say in the transfers.

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

Haha :lol:

That will only be a temporary fix, one bad transfer and all off a sudden Buck and Emenalo were actually alright and should come back, exactly the same thing happened re Benitez every time Jose dropped points in his first six months back.

Funny thing is growing up I was closer to negative than positive, but some of the overreactions on here reguarly render me speechless and brings out the Ty (overly optimistic supporter) in me.

Same here, Tomo. I think I used to be what was considered negative in the past (though I wouldn't completely agree with that, I think I've always been a realist and still am) but I don't think I was ever this bad. This is too much even for me. So much negativity, moaning and petty and idiotic fights. It's always been a strong feature on TC but the balance used to be a lot better a few years back. It's shifted too much in the other direction. That's what I feel anyway. And now I feel like I'm quite positive and calm and arguably overly optimistic.

Anyway, back to Conte. How long he lasts depends on the job he does. He does an abysmal job and he's gone within half a season. He does a poor a job and he has 18 months max. Decent job, two seasons. Good job, two/three seasons. Great job, three+ seasons. Every time a new manager is appointed it's assumed he'll get 'time to learn and build'. I doubt that's the case. Either do well or go away. That's Chelsea.

Manager appointments don't excite me (anymore). Think the last one was AVB. I so badly wanted him to be a great succes as I loved his style.

Don't know what to expect really but as always I hope for the best. I like the fact that he's tactically flexible and that Juve players still praise him even after he left. That's a very good sign.

I just hope he doesn't go shopping in the Serie A though. That would be a mistake in my eyes. Serie A and PL isn't a good marriage. A lot of failed, underwhelming or decent at best imports. Not saying every Serie A import is guaranteed to flop or underwhelm but it's important to be careful. La Liga and Ligue 1 signings adapt a lot quicker and usually do as well as they did before and a lot of players do an even better job.

And then there's the Euro 2016 distraction. Wonder how that will work with incoming and outgoing transfers and pre-season. I don't know... I worry about that a bit. From the outside it looks like quite the conumdrum.

If he does well, Chelsea does well so good luck to him. Decent football and a top 4 finish in his first season and I'm a happy camper.

3 hours ago, cfcs most wanted said:

I checked the Chelsea site announcements http://www.chelseafc.com/news/special/mourinho-appointed.html for Mourinho signing and http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2016/04/conte-appointed.html for Conte. You can certainly see that Mourinho was appointed manager while Conte is appointed first team head coach. So, Mourinho certainly had some say in the transfers.

How do you know that this is what should be deduced from the different titles? What on Earth has the name of the job got to do with anything? How, for example, do we know that Conte does not simply prefer the title, coach, which is more widely used everywhere outside of the UK?

Putting such emphasis on a mere title sounds to me to be as mistaken as the opinion which objects to the name of Europe's premier club competition. How, the opinion goes, can it be called The Champions League when many entrants are not in fact domestic champions? That, rather silly, opinion completely ignores the fact that English is not the only language in the world and that in many other languages the word champion has a much wider meaning. A meaning akin to top quality.

In any case, we already know that Jose instigated some transfers but not some others. That's no news and nor, I imagine, would it surprise anyone if that was to be the same situation with Antonio.