The Mourinho Thread

To Be honest the best thing that can happen to our defence at the moment is an ivanovic short term injury, it will force mourinho to play an actual left back in their rightful position and Azp as a Rb. As long as we don't have proper fullbacks our attacks will continue to be limited. And by the way if we ever want to play a high tempo pressing game sadly we might have to drop JT because that system will expose him more often than not due to his age

https://twitter.com/Chelsea_HQ/status/624170366143836160

This quote scares me a bit. It doesn't really sound like a typical José mind game where he lies to the media about transfers.

We HAD the best team in England LAST season. There's no guarantee that everyone will perform as well as they did last season or even stay fit. Plus ALL of our rivals will have improved drastically.

City, Arsenal, United, and Liverpool have all splashed the cash on players that will directly improve their first XI. Are we seriously not going to sign any quality additions!?

Tbh I don't think lack of activity this summer if it stays like this will haunt us this term, we still have the best team and by far the best manager, its later down the line.

If we sell Filipe Luis and after that we do not we sign another player as left-back because we'll use Nathan Aké as a backup of Azpilicueta ... that would be one of the most stupid mistakes that we could make!

Please, that would screw up the career of Nathan Aké forever. It would make no sense. This guy needs to go on loan to play 30 games in a season and not being all day on the bench.

And, besides, it seems that Azpilicueta and Ivanovic are like Terminator, but no, they can be injured throughout the season and we'll have to spend the whole year praying that they are well physically or we would have a big problem.

I love Jose ... but this season it seems that he wants to play a game of "the most difficult possible" or something like this. I do not understand ...

We need small adjustments in our squad, but we have to do it. This is normal. We do not need to change all the players or to make a revolution, but we need to change some little things to avoid falling into the monotony.

Regards.

filipe luis played 26 games last season and that was with azpi and iva being fit all season long (or hardly ever injured). 20 games for chelsea is far far far better for his development than 30 games for boro where he will definitely boss as his level already is over them.

this 2nd LB spot can be a massive step in the right direction for ake.

They showed great spirit against all odds but come on, it wasn't a great team.

That team accomplished something no other Chelsea team had been able to before. That, to me, is a great team.

That team accomplished something no other Chelsea team had been able to before. That, to me, is a great team.

Greece won Euro 2004 as well, are they a great team? I mean unless I google them now I don't think I remember A SINGLE PLAYER on that team and I am sure 90% of football supporters don't either. 2012 was a miracle, one of the greatest sporting achievement in history but it was not done by a GREAT TEAM, team of great players maybe.

Liverpool won CL in 2005 with that miracle, are they a great team? Winning one big trophy once doesn't mean it is a great team, winning things 'consistently' is what makes a great team.

filipe luis played 26 games last season and that was with azpi and iva being fit all season long (or hardly ever injured). 20 games for chelsea is far far far better for his development than 30 games for boro where he will definitely boss as his level already is over them.

this 2nd LB spot can be a massive step in the right direction for ake.

Hi friend!

Well that may be true, but I think Aké could play for a team in Premier League this season on loan.

It is true what you say. and maybe could be a great progress for Ake. but the big question is whether Ivanovic Azpi or are injured and we have to rely on a young player throughout the season. This year has been a miracle that both have had a physical condition like Terminator, but if they are injured ... we would have problems.

Last year (according to whoscored) Filipe Luis played 1355 minutes, and Azpi 2874. It is true what you say, for Nathan Ake would be good to have 1355 minutes with us. But the big question is whether Jose will trust him and will give Aké those 1355 minutes or Azpicueta will play every match ...

Although, as you say, maybe is better to give these 1355 for Nathan Ake than Rahman Baba sign ... It's a complicated issue.

I am in favor in what you say, but we all know Jose, and he is obsessed with using 12 or 13 players each season. If Aké stays with us and he has opportunities ... perfect. But Jose has to rotate the team to get with gasoline at the end of the season.

Regards.

Greece won Euro 2004 as well, are they a great team? I mean unless I google them now I don't think I remember A SINGLE PLAYER on that team and I am sure 90% of football supporters don't either. 2012 was a miracle, one of the greatest sporting achievement in history but it was not done by a GREAT TEAM, team of great players maybe.

Liverpool won CL in 2005 with that miracle, are they a great team? Winning one big trophy once doesn't mean it is a great team, winning things 'consistently' is what makes a great team.

Comparing that team to Greece's 2004 team is not even close to being the same. That 2012 team had a handful of players that are or will be considered Chelsea legends. That, to me, equals a great team. They aren't a legendary team, or were even the best team in Europe that year, but that doesn't mean they weren't great.

We're arguing about what makes a team great, and since we don't agree on that, we won't agree on anything else. From the replies, I'm getting the sense that others are defining a great team like the Barcelona teams of a few years ago. Those, to me, are legendary teams.

Comparing that team to Greece's 2004 team is not even close to being the same. That 2012 team had a handful of players that are or will be considered Chelsea legends. That, to me, equals a great team. They aren't a legendary team, or were even the best team in Europe that year, but that doesn't mean they weren't great.

We're arguing about what makes a team great, and since we don't agree on that, we won't agree on anything else. From the replies, I'm getting the sense that others are defining a great team like the Barcelona teams of a few years ago. Those, to me, are legendary teams.

I know that is what I said, our 2012 team was a team full of great players(Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba, Cole...etc) but they were not at the very best anymore and hence we were 'great' only thanks to the names of these legends, not in actual ability anymore. Maybe we both have a different interpretation of what a 'great' team is. For me great team is a team that dominate for at least a couple of years, for example Bayern 2012-now is a great team. Us 2004-2006, Barca 08-now and so on as you said yourself.

Also it is very foolish to use 2012 as a benchmark, it is once in a life time achievement. Do you think we will get a run again where our GK save 2 pens against 2 of the best players in the world in the semi and final? Or a game where the opposition miss at least 5 clear goal scoring chances(1st leg against Barca)?

i "blame" jose.if we wanted to make signings, we could easily make signing by selling some players like marin, moses, salah, romeu etc etc.

i simply think jose actually believes that our squad is complete and quite strong (which is kinda true but there is still a massive scope of improvements in almost all areas except GK and STs.

Man United 2010/2011, they won the title because of a great coach and hard work, also because every other epl team were shit as ... but they finally took a lesson in the UCL final.

Absolute bollocks. They had Rooney, Scholes, Nani, Giggs, Carrick, all players who don't use physical dominance as a main attribute when analyzing their ability as a footballer.