Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

the exact problem with the fans. unless their is media hype surrounding the player saying that the player is the next pele or zidane or beckenbauer, then the player just is not good enough to make the cut. laughable.

the exact problem with the fans. unless their is media hype surrounding the player saying that the player is the next pele or zidane or beckenbauer, then the player just is not good enough to make the cut. laughable.

Because God forbid fans could watch a player over a number of years and come to a conclusion independently. :rolleyes:

He's done well in his last few games and I doubt he'd give you many performances that were less than 7/10-type performances. But we need a guy who gives 9/10 performances because we're a top team. That's why he'll make a grand squad player.

Because God forbid fans could watch a player over a number of years and come to a conclusion independently. :rolleyes:

He's done well in his last few games and I doubt he'd give you many performances that were less than 7/10-type performances. But we need a guy who gives 9/10 performances because we're a top team. That's why he'll make a grand squad player.

this is the first time we have given RB a true run-out. forget about his one game in a month phase because most of the time players are hardly match fit when that happens. the last 3 matches he has shown he has the quality in him to be more than a squad player. he has taken a run that would make cole and evra proud, he has crossed the ball more number of times than cole did this whole season, and he has defended really really well.

plus i dont see the problem of 7/10 performances. i mean PF was never a 9/10 guy. yet he was a major part of a season in which we conceded what 15 goals overall. the point is RB is showing he has what it takes to be a good LB. but people discarding him as average and no more than a squad players after the performances he has put given that this is his first real long stint in the team, is really disappointing.

We still need to remember he's only young, huge pressure on him, I think he did well to be honest.

Only thing what pissed me off was when he kept crossing it in the fucking air, City put on Lecott, so they had 3 big centre backs and Javi Garcia coming back into the box. And instead of trying to beat his first man Zabaleta he was putting it in the air for Ba who was marked by Lescott and Kompany... it was so stupid especially when we needed a goal.

Those things are just common sense to be honest, and defenders especially who have to have some intelligence should be aware of these types of things.

With the pace Bertrand has he could've tried to beat Zabaleta and just put a fast cross in or a fast ground cross, like a tripple X on fifa :D

Was he written off or did people just say he was an above-average player and that we should be looking at other options (like Luke Shaw) who have the potential to be world-class?

He was written off. People were saying that he should be sold and that we should bring back PVA instead. Just go back a few pages.

Was he written off or did people just say he was an above-average player and that we should be looking at other options (like Luke Shaw) who have the potential to be world-class?

No he was written off. People wanted him sold, said he was a championship-standard player and that PVA was better. While neglecting the fact that PVA is playing consistently in a much weaker league, while Shaw has the advantage of playing every game in his best position. I am also willing to wager that the majority don't actually watch Shaw week in, week out and form there view from what the media say and match of the day. The step up from Southampton to Chelsea is massive and i guarantee that Bertrand would also look class playing for southampton consistently. He needs to be given a chance here

No he was written off. People wanted him sold, said he was a championship-standard player and that PVA was better. While neglecting the fact that PVA is playing consistently in a much weaker league, while Shaw has the advantage of playing every game in his best position. I am also willing to wager that the majority don't actually watch Shaw week in, week out and form there view from what the media say and match of the day. The step up from Southampton to Chelsea is massive and i guarantee that Bertrand would also look class playing for southampton consistently. He needs to be given a chance here

If we're going to compare Shaw and Bertrand, let's acknowledge that Ryan is 6 years older than him and has played about 200 more games. I'd also still contend that Shaw has a level of composure and tactical sense that Ryan certainly didn't have before his 20th birthday, and might still not have.

I'll take your word for it that people said he was a Championship-level player, but he clearly isn't. He's a good player and he's shown that in his recent run of games. What people have questioned is whether he can be a great player, and isn't that what we should be aspiring to have in our team? I've watched him for years and I honestly can't say for certain that he'll be a great player? Can you?

With players like Shaw, there's something special there that hints at the potential to be great.