Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

If we're going to compare Shaw and Bertrand, let's acknowledge that Ryan is 6 years older than him and has played about 200 more games. I'd also still contend that Shaw has a level of composure and tactical sense that Ryan certainly didn't have before his 20th birthday, and might still not have.

I'll take your word for it that people said he was a Championship-level player, but he clearly isn't. He's a good player and he's shown that in his recent run of games. What people have questioned is whether he can be a great player, and isn't that what we should be aspiring to have in our team? I've watched him for years and I honestly can't say for certain that he'll be a great player? Can you?

With players like Shaw, there's something special there that hints at the potential to be great.

I don't ever think Bertrand will become a great player, but I think he will reach Paulo Ferreira level which is certainly good enough. Paulo in his prime was constantly working hard, getting up and down the touchline and being a consistent performer. Was he ever world class/great? Not for me, but he was reliable and someone you could trust to be a solid performer. I see those qualities in Bertrand and with this run of games he's had we've seen that consistency

No he was written off. People wanted him sold, said he was a championship-standard player and that PVA was better.

:doh:

If Bertrand's a Championship player than PVA is league two standard, his defending is embarrassing.

I don't think he should be a starter, but as a backup I don't mind keeping him here for another 7-8 years cause he's not a liability. He won't win you matches but he won't cost you any either. Plus he's homegrown.

And that's how we have to be with Ryan, in my opinion. Decent utility player in a squad rotation role - but not quite of the standard to be our starting left-back.

People on here have totally gotten the wrong end of the stick in regards to what I said of the player (basically my argument is that he should be given a string of games before he is judged, but that I don't think he is good enough to be our permanent left-back and that I feel van Aanholt is a more complete full-back than Bertrand is, and should be given a similar amount of chances next season).

Let's be absolutely fair, Ryan has done a decent job in his spell at left-back, but the moment Cole is fit he'll be back on the bench.

I think PVA is a tricky player to judge. Don't know if the club rates him, but offensively he's miles ahead of Cole and Bertrand combined. The only problem is that he has always been defensively suspect. Neither him nor Ryan are starting material so one of them has to be our backup and I think Bertrand wins cause he's homegrown and because I feel he's defensively more sound. Unfortunate for PVA because he's a threat on the left flank but defense comes first especially if you're going to be backup.

• 2 weeks later...

ENGLISH LEFT-BACK ERORR STATS

Defensive.jpg

ENGLISH LEFT-BACK DEFENSIVE STATS

Errors1.jpg

ENGLISH LEFT-BACK PASSING STATS

Passing1.jpg

ENGLISH LEFT-BACK CRETIVITY STATS

Creativity.jpg

Final Ranking:
1st: Kieran Gibbs (and Ashley Cole)
2nd: Danny Rose
3rd: Luke Shaw
4th: Ryan Bertrand

http://www.eplindex.com/31295/future-england-left-back-statistical-comparison.html

i don't know why Baines doesn't "Deserve" to compare?

binman has a good attitude but tbh he is a high championship / low premier league level. if he was french he wouldnt have a single chelsea appearance. he is our sorry attempt at bringing through a home grown british player. can't fault his commitment but he shouldnt be coles successor. bring in shaw.

binman has a good attitude but tbh he is a high championship / low premier league level. if he was french he wouldnt have a single chelsea appearance. he is our sorry attempt at bringing through a home grown british player. can't fault his commitment but he shouldnt be coles successor. bring in shaw.

Absolutely laughable! Why? What exactly does he lack? Ryan is currently miles ahead of Shaw who admittedly has more potential.

Is that so?

Yes, I think so. Bertrand is currently able to put in consistent solid performances; he only had one sub-par performance at LB and that was against Shakhtar. He's also defensively much better than Shaw atm. Like I said, Shaw has more potential and could become a better LB. He is just being hyped because of 2 great performances.

Yes, I think so. Bertrand is currently able to put in consistent solid performances; he only had one sub-par performance at LB and that was against Shakhtar. He's also defensively much better than Shaw atm. Like I said, Shaw has more potential and could become a better LB. He is just being hyped because of 2 great performances.

Is that so? If it is, why? What if Shaw has had 2 great games and the rest very solid games? That's two more great games than Bertrand and one less shit game.

Food for thought.

Is that so? If it is, why? What if Shaw has had 2 great games and the rest very solid games? That's two more great games than Bertrand and one less shit game.

Food for thought.

Like I said, defensively Bertrand is still miles ahead, which is only natural because of how many more competitive matches Ryan has played. His tactical awareness and decision making is also much better. Shaw has showed glimpses that he can become a great LB, but he's still 17/18, to say that we need to throw away our proven LB for him is just flimsy supporting.

Like I said, defensively Bertrand is still miles ahead, which is only natural because of how many more competitive matches Ryan has played. His tactical awareness and decision making is also much better. Shaw has showed glimpses that he can become a great LB, but he's still 17/18, to say that we need to throw away our proven LB for him is just flimsy supporting.

Does more games really equate to all that? Dies Shaw not have more Premier League games?