Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Who said he's rubbish?

I thought people just thought he was an average player who we could improve upon by signing someone like Shaw.

I don't think anyone has said anything harsher than that to be honest. He's 23, he's made over 200 first-team appearances as well as 2 England caps and a few Olympic appearances.

But now he's finally getting a chance to show what he can do. :carlo:

Well some said after the Saints game that Shaw made him look like an average LB. Well not everyone but some were very critical of him. I just find it harsh when people say PVA is better than Bertrand etc because of his loan spell. I like PVA but IIRC he did not have the best of loan spells at Wigan. PL is just a much tougher environment. It was last season or early this season that Bertrand's efforts got him awarded a place in the England squad ahead of Gibbs.

Who said he's rubbish? I thought people just thought he was an average player who we could improve upon by signing someone like Shaw.

Well "rubbish" is a bit of a hyperbole but still my point stands. For example some were saying PvA is now a better LB than him... He's a good player that hasn't been giving a proper run in at LB which has caused a lot of people to call him below average and overrated. He might not become as good as Ashley but I don't think we can conclude that fully based on his sparse appearances at LB this season. Shaw signing makes sense as Cole could be leaving in the future but that doesn't mean that Ryan can't be useful or doesn't have the potential to be more than an average player for us.

For the next 2 week, I can see teams targeting our left side as they will see him as the weakest link in our team. Which is fair but also unfair as you could say he might not get a lot of help from Eden and the pivot could essentially our weakness too. Hazards tendency to not back track every time (hes certainly improved in that manner since Rafa came in which I'd expect but he doesn't always do it) could be a problem for Ryan but I'd rather it was Hazard further up field using his pace to counter against teams than say Mata or Oscar.

Who said he's rubbish?

I thought people just thought he was an average player who we could improve upon by signing someone like Shaw.

I don't think anyone has said anything harsher than that to be honest. He's 23, he's made over 200 first-team appearances as well as 2 England caps and a few Olympic appearances.

But now he's finally getting a chance to show what he can do. :carlo:

Absolutely. I'm one of his critics but I have never called him "rubbish". I honestly don't think he'll ever be more than a squad player for this club, but let's give him a couple of weeks in the side in his actual position and come to conclusions afterwards.

Funny thing, the guys at the saints forum thought that Shaw got battered by Moses in the first half and that Bertrand was of our better performers. Not saying I agree as I did not watch the match, just giving you a different perspective.

Yeah Shaw didn't have a good game but don't think Bertrand was anything special either.

With Cole out I can definitely see Moses starting more to help cover the left side.

Meh, I don't think we need to do that. Bertrand isn't amazing but he's a good defender. Plus, Cole is a big miss but not like he's had a great season either. I don't think we'll miss Cole that much. Bertrand will become a scapegoat that I know for sure but in reality his performances won't be any worse than Cole's.

One of our best players today, that's now two good games for Ryan this week. Hope he can keep up this form and show us what he can do, it's not every month Ashley Cole is out for a few weeks and Bertrand hasn't had such an opportunity before.