Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Does more games really equate to all that? Dies Shaw not have more Premier League games?

I'm not saying that Ryan is better based on who played more. I'm saying from watching the two LBs, I can clearly see that Bertrand is better defensively and tactically. Then I go on to analyze that and say that it might be because Ryan has played more competitive matches.

I'm not saying that Ryan is better based on who played more. I'm saying from watching the two LBs, I can clearly see that Bertrand is better defensively and tactically. Then I go on to analyze that and say that it might be because Ryan has played more competitive matches.

From what i've seen in Shaw, he's a much better overall player than Bertrand. At such a young age, he seems to be handling the pace and intensity of the EPL quite well.

Just imagine what Shaw could become at Bertrand's age...

In the limited number of games i've seen Bertrand play, he's slightly better than Shaw on the defensive aspect.

Maybe in the future, we'll see both Shaw and Bertrand fighting it out for Chelsea's LB spot.

bertrand is nowhere near shaw. dont embarrass yourself. bertrand is a hard working but ultimately very average player. shaw is allot better. the stats posted clearly show that and in a far lesser team as well.

I say Shaw is better. I say Shaw is better defensively. I also say he is much better offensively. In fact I'd say he's the 2nd best English full-back at attacking, behind only Baines. I say Bertrand would be lucky to tie Shaw's shoes one day.

bertrand is nowhere near shaw. dont embarrass yourself. bertrand is a hard working but ultimately very average player. shaw is allot better. the stats posted clearly show that and in a far lesser team as well.

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence, isn't it?

Bertrand and Shaw are both solid full-backs with lots of potential to improve so why always compare the two? Personally I would've preferred if Cole had left after this season and be replaced with Shaw, leaving us with these two young English players Shaw and Bertrand rotating at LB but I guess that plan could well be delayed for a year with Cole's new contract running up in 2014. At the moment however, I wouldn't be taking Shaw over Bertrand. Not because I don't rate Shaw as highly as I do Bertrand but because the club needs stability and homegrown players. If we're going after Shaw this summer, we'd be better of loaning him back to Southampton for another year and then get him back once Cole leaves but getting rid of Bertrand and having Shaw as a backup till Ashley finally moves on would be nothing but a pointless short term solution and expensive too.

We should buy shaw this summer and loan him back to southampton.After ashley leaves in 2014 we can potentially have two english players fighting for LB spot so that we need not worry about cole's replacement.

Bert is a good player.I would wonder why he is not trying to dribble regularly

• 2 weeks later...

A year in the life

Ahead of the Europa League final, Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand talks exclusively to Sky Sports about a 'crazy' period in his footballing life, and a possible reunion with Jose Mourinho

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8712819/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

A year in the life

Ahead of the Europa League final, Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand talks exclusively to Sky Sports about a 'crazy' period in his footballing life, and a possible reunion with Jose Mourinho

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/8712819/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

yet another player makes the list of Chelsea footballers who would like to work with Jose. Freeze the champagne, lads.

• 2 months later...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jul/20/chelsea-reject-liverpool-ryan-bertrand?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2371591/Chelsea-reject-Liverpools-Ryan-Bertrand-bid.html

Chelsea reject Liverpool's Ryan Bertrand bid.

'I want to be Chelsea's No.1 left-back and when that time comes it will happen,' said Bertrand.

'All I can do is to be ready and keep playing; keep biding my time. I'm thinking of nothing else. To be honest, I am just focusing on being No 1. I just concentrate on progressing in the games I get.
'I've managed to do so in recent years and that's the only target. You have to be able to compete. That's the way you develop at the top level. That's just the way it is, and it's the place I want to be. So I'm used to that.'