Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

I think he'd do best to join Bayer Leverkusen. I can't think of a better team for him.

He'd be only needed if Carvajal returns to Real.

Kalas doesn't need another loan. He has done everything asked of him at Vitesse aplaying two positions and from what I've seen he's good enough for the first team. Solid player.

I like Kalas as well but be aware that the pace and level of the PL is completely different from the Eredivisie. If he has the chance to go to say, a team like WBA on loan I am more than happy.

Kalas doesn't need another loan. He has done everything asked of him at Vitesse aplaying two positions and from what I've seen he's good enough for the first team. Solid player.

Agree completely.No doubt that his first few performances might be shaky but he will improve as the season will progress,Very talented kid.Better to recall him then spend 8m on clyne.

He most certainly has done everything asked of him at Vitesse as you say, but, is the matter all about being ready ? I do not think so. We must do what is the best regarding our young players' development ; not throw them in the first team just because they are "ready", without doing an analyze of the context and assessing the cons and pros.

If called back, there's two spot where he could be played. At righ-back and center-back. Regarding the right-back spot, he is bound to Azpilicueta ; Kalas would only get the odd games here and there. As for the center-back spot, he will have to compete with Luiz, Cahill, Terry, and even Ivanovic. It's a crowded area and, while he can impose himself as a starting center-back, the more likely to happen is that he will not play very much.

Tomas Kalas will only be 20 years-old at the start of the next season. There's absolutely no needs to rush him into the first team. At this kind of age, players need playing time, it's necessary for them to develop. Here at Chelsea, theorically, we will be able to only offer him the odd appearances. A contrario, a mid-table Premier League club or a good german side, as Kalas himself said, will be able to ensure him a lot more playing time (it could even be a full season in a top league !).

Now, let's ask ourselves. What would be the better for 20 years-old Kalas ? Playing a second string role here, or playing on a regular basis at a so called "lesser" club. I believe that having a loan spell, as Lukaku and de Bryune are currently enjoying, would do him wonders. In my opinion, for his development, it will be way better than habing him around here.

Moreover, we also need to pay attention to what the players say. At the lights of what he said, he seems to feel that's too early for him to make the step to Chelsea. If he feels more comfortable by taking another step to join us, then it should be taken into consideration.

Finally, it seems that he will be more needed not this summer, but the next one, when Terry will pack his things. Condering there's also some concerns over Ivanovic futur (if he keeps playing like he did ever since the start of the pre-season...).

So yeah, all in all, I believe the better option conserning Kalas, is to loan him where he could have a full season in a major league.

Kalas himself has come out to say he needs another loan - before us or anyone at Chelsea has said so. I think that shows maturity and his desire to press on and get into our team ASAP. Good for him.

Note: ​When I mentioned that Leverkusen would be a good fit for him, that was under the assumption he'd return to his centre-back role.

I genuinely had a dream once that Kalas was playing for West Brom. heh. (Yes, I'm that sad that I dream about football. I also dreamed that next year we'll be beating Real Madrid 7-0.)

martin luther king had a dream to and that came true.. so heres to beating RM 7-0 next season :cfc:

I've come to believe that he has already shown us everything he could. It doesn't seem that he has what it takes to get on the higher level. In my honest opinion, he is bound to be average at best. I am not advocating that we should sell him, because I guess he could be a usefull player, kinda in the same fashion as Brown and O'Shea were for United ; though I strongly believe that we should look out for a long-term replacement for Ashley Cole, as Ryan — aside of his game in Munich — did not show solide evidences of being that buy. I hope this summer we get a lock at Luke Shaw, whether it's a loan-back deal or not.

In my honest opinion, he is bound to be average at best. I am not advocating that we should sell him, because I guess he could be a usefull player, kinda in the same fashion as Brown and O'Shea were for United ; though I strongly believe that we should look out for a long-term replacement for Ashley Cole, as Ryan — aside of his game in Munich — did not show solide evidences of being that buy. I hope this summer we get a lock at Luke Shaw, whether it's a loan-back deal or not.

Which is fair enough. He's definitely good enough to be a squad player for us - Shaw and Bertrand in a couple of years after Ashley retires sounds good to me. What I don't like though is how people call him useless - he's not. I think defensively this year CFC have been poor - that's not due to our individual talent but more due to the fact that we have never had a consistent back four this season.

Bertrand has also only played a handful of games at full back this season - I feel most people are writing him off based on his performances out wide, which I think is unfair.

Guest FullEnglishBreakfast

It was hard watching Bertrand play so awfully and Luke Shaw absolutely tear Chelsea up. I think last night was a little proof as to why people want Shaw to replace Bertrand. If people want more proof just rewatch the other Soton v Chelsea matches of this year.

Betrand needs more games to improve himself.

He did a decent job on the left IMO to block crosses and any other attack on our left flank. IMO he does what a defender ask from him.

the part lacking in his game is the attacking portion. that portion of the game seems underdeveloped probably because the fat waiter didn't give him any clear instructions. e.g bomb forward? drive into the box? or pump crosses into the box? or just to provide a option?

much of the time, betrand was left with the ball, not knowing what to do, or not knowing who will meet the end of his crosses. he scuffled a few good chance to cross, but that will ultimately improve with more games under his belt. much of his game was just to pass back to terry to pump a long ball forward

Which is fair enough. He's definitely good enough to be a squad player for us - Shaw and Bertrand in a couple of years after Ashley retires sounds good to me. What I don't like though is how people call him useless - he's not. I think defensively this year CFC have been poor - that's not due to our individual talent but more due to the fact that we have never had a consistent back four this season.

Bertrand has also only played a handful of games at full back this season - I feel most people are writing him off based on his performances out wide, which I think is unfair.

I just hope Van Aanholt gets to play a handful of games at LB like Bertrand...that'll help the coaching staff decide which player to keep in the long run.

PvA seems to be more explosive going forward, still learning the defensive side..(based on his games at Vitesse)

Bertrand does alright defensively, needs alot of work on his offensive game.