Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

What I like about Bertrand is his tenacity, which makes up for some of his shortcomings, but what concerns me most is he is very often "sucked" into the midfield. He has a tendency to try and close a player down to such an extent he begins to chase them, only to get turned and then leave the entire left flank exposed. That happened twice yesterday, but fortunately thanks to the positional sense of Terry and Ramires (Terry moved over into the LB position and Ramires covered in the centre), we managed to get away with it. Yes, it's admirable to show such tenacity but he needs to show more positional discipline, in my view.

But I won't deny he had a good game yesterday. I'm pleased for him, and hope he does well for the sake of his own career at the club.

What I like about Bertrand is his tenacity, which makes up for some of his shortcomings, but what concerns me most is he is very often "sucked" into the midfield. He has a tendency to try and close a player down to such an extent he begins to chase them, only to get turned and then leave the entire left flank exposed. That happened twice yesterday, but fortunately thanks to the positional sense of Terry and Ramires (Terry moved over into the LB position and Ramires covered in the centre), we managed to get away with it. Yes, it's admirable to show such tenacity but he needs to show more positional discipline, in my view.

But I won't deny he had a good game yesterday. I'm pleased for him, and hope he does well for the sake of his own career at the club.

I feel that's something that comes with experience. It's certainly not something that limits him as a player.

I think he is improving. His development hasn't helped from very rarely playing and in the rare occasions he has played it is out of position against sides we are trying to play more defensive against. Hopefully he can start to make strides in the right direction.

He won't be world class, he really is very average right now.

What kind of confidence is that for someone who has stepped in and done really well in Cole's absence? he has done very well and because he is faster than Cole, I reckon he helps us sometimes with his ability to win the ball and attack. Something we have been lacking with Cole recently.

What kind of confidence is that for someone who has stepped in and done really well in Cole's absence? he has done very well and because he is faster than Cole, I reckon he helps us sometimes with his ability to win the ball and attack. Something we have been lacking with Cole recently.

I dunno, do you think he maybe a member here? I hope I haven't hurt his feelings.

I dunno, do you think he maybe a member here? I hope I haven't hurt his feelings.

So you claim he is an average player then when asked why you think that you use sarcasm because you had no evidence to back it up whatever.gif

So you claim he is an average player then when asked why you think that you use sarcasm because you had no evidence to back it up whatever.gif

You didn't ask me, you said what sort of confidence is that.

Nice smiley, you may have just won the internet smiley crown....well done.

You didn't ask me, you said what sort of confidence is that.

Nice smiley, you may have just won the internet smiley crown....well done.

You still have not answered why you decided to call him average player.... no basis for that conclusion I guess