Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

He's not good enough at all which is a shame. Ash is trying his best with him, working with him on a regular basis but i just can't see him ever being good enough unfortunately. We should bring back PVA, i remember seeing him shine against Newcastle in a Carling Cup game a few years ago, his attacking threat is much better than Bertrand's although RB is maybe a better, safer defender. I'd love us to have PVA and Shaw in 2 or 3 years time.

I bet someone here will be calling Luke Shaw overrated 3 months after we sign him. It's amazing how impatient we are with young players in this club. I still remember how poor Evans used to be for ManU.

Evans is still poor.

Look what a poor Israeli Striker did to him in the last INT game.

He looks Decent with Vidic alongside.

Arsenal have Monreal as their starting LB with Gibbs there to do the job against weaker opposition or when for whatever reason Monreal can't start. It was similar when Clichy was there.

I expect Bertrand and Gibbs to always have that same 'back up'/utility role unless they move elsewhere.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though. Plenty players have had wonderful careers as bit-part players. O'Shea, Belletti etc.

Funny thing, the guys at the saints forum thought that Shaw got battered by Moses in the first half and that Bertrand was of our better performers. Not saying I agree as I did not watch the match, just giving you a different perspective.

Funny thing, the guys at the saints forum thought that Shaw got battered by Moses in the first half and that Bertrand was of our better performers. Not saying I agree as I did not watch the match, just giving you a different perspective.

Thats interesting :lol:

Another decent game. Probably got tricked by Nani/Valencia a few times, but used his speed to cover up grounds.

At times I feel he got sucked up high on the pitch by Nani too often before Nani was substituted. and that left gap for valenicia to run into.

Looking forward to see Bertrand given a consistent run in at left back. I think he'll prove the ones that say he's rubbish and that we should sell him etc.

Who said he's rubbish?

I thought people just thought he was an average player who we could improve upon by signing someone like Shaw.

It is actually so frustrating to see some of the knee-jerk reaction sometimes. After the Southampton game, so many posters were berating him stating he is a rubbish LB etc. Now he has a good game against United, then some people realise he is actually a decent LB. Many people were stating that we should bring PVA as a deputy LB for Cole instead of Bertrand and while he has a very good season with Vitesse, the PL is a whole different ball game and faster and more physical tempo.

However back to Bertrand's qualities as a LB, he will never be as good as Cole but it is unfair for people to say he needs a run out to prove what he is capable of. He is not a world class LB but he has already put in some quality LB performances. When we drew with Arsenal 0-0 at Emirates last season he was actually nominated MOTM and deservedly so. Yes, for the two weeks Bertrand may be a bit more of a liability but for those who are deeply criticising him it is a bit harsh because has stepped in for Cole before and done a very good job.

I don't think anyone has said anything harsher than that to be honest. He's 23, he's made over 200 first-team appearances as well as 2 England caps and a few Olympic appearances.

But now he's finally getting a chance to show what he can do. :carlo: