UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

And let's not fool ourselves here, this Barça team isn't a shadow of what it used to be.

It has a terrible defense and their attacking players are struggling at the moment for different reasons - form, physically, adaptation, etc... I'm not saying they're poor, but they aren't even a resemblance of the team we beat two years ago. Their manager isn't that much great imo and I think they never got over the spanking Bayern gave them last year. The team dismantled since then (also coinciding with Messi's injuries starting about that time too).

Also Vilanova (God give him health, but still) left them a lot of problems Martino is still trying to sort out, Messi's injuries included. Also they're playing now with a second keeper who is generally facepalm-inducing and hang on in La Liga by individual talent and lack of quality opposition.

Atletico has a good manager and a great team spirit. Simeone really built *his* team, a bit in his own image but with great team spirit.

But the thing is - they have a short bench and a tremendous pressure. It's the first year in my memory that they didn't run out of steam by February and are still going for the title. But they absolutely can't afford to drop points and they have Barcelona away match as the last fixture of the season. So it's a question wether they'll be able to fight on two fronts till the end.

On the other hand the same applies to us. If we come to the first leg winning our 2 matches and City drop any points we are still in for the PL title and will have to be multitasking too, especially with must-win game in between 2 legs.

Still, the fact that we play away first gives me hope.

Really, all 3 teams were a bad draw for us for various reasons, if we want to win we still have to beat 2 out of 3 in whatever order.

On a lighter note, there's another superstition going our way if we pass Atletico :) We are going to be the "guest" team in the final - in 2012 we too were a guest team, and Jose won both of his finals with "guest" teams as well. So - carefree :)

If only it was this easy:

#BringBackKalouda

We had such a world class team that year :wub:

On paper, we couldnt draw ''easier'' team, but I feel it will be anything but easy. If you draw Real, you know their main strenght, they are bunch of individual players who dont realy work hard to win, if you get Bayern, you can beat them with strong defence and efficient counter attacks. Atletico is whole different story. They posses similar style to us, I have not seen such hard working team besides us this year in CL. They will die if it will mean progressing into finals. They have decent experience in europe, they will go in the game with thinking they beat us 4:1 last time. Simeone is realy good coach.

Finaly, Atletico might mean smaller name than Bayern or Real, but dont forget they are first in La liga, ahead of RM and Barca. They are playing very mature and consistent. They have eliminated Barca with realy good performances, they run, mark, defend, press fantastic. Most difficult is thay they play completely relaxed, they dont make many errors and can score realy fast (unlike Bayern who needs 100xxx passes before one shot). Last but not least, they are TEAM. No individuals, no superstars. Hard workers and realy class players, not to mention its the system they play for several years now. Honestly I wouldnt be shocked if they win La liga and CL this year tbh. They are also underdogs vs us and we usually struggle against such teams. Oh and playing at Calderon, I think they have great atmosphere there, very passionate and supportive.

But we play second game at home, we have good team spirit and we can get into finals. Im sure we will put a great match, just dont underrate Atletico ability and dont make mistakes like the first leg vs PSG.

We actualy have good chances to win CL this year, but I wouldnt go that far yet. Lets beat Atletico first and then we will see.

P.S.: All the links with Costa, you just knew we will face him sooner or later...we will see how will he play against strong english defence. He could cause lot of trouble.

Nah they're twats.

When I went there in 2009 there fans attacked our fans on the way to a stadium and bottled a women. Maybe they haven't mastered the internet yet?

Well by these actions I guess they haven't. Still living in the good old stone age.

your not the only one that didn't want them. They are like a better version of us with a much tougher/physical midfield and a keeper in better form and a striker that scores winners per game.

Mourinho in our corner is giving me hope though

If only Matic was available for these 2 matches....it would have made a massive difference to our midfield.

If only Matic was available for these 2 matches....it would have made a massive difference to our midfield.

Exactly, we'll have had control in midfield.

This game both of us will be pressing each other non-stop, matic would have been a huge boost. I hope we put a top performance bcos they are better than us at our own pressing game unfortunately.

But if we take a score draw to the bridge, we'll go to the finals

All this talk of ethics is tiring.

1. Activate Costa's release clause a couple of days before the first leg if they won't honour the contract they signed with us

2. Sue them for the 8 million they should have paid us after the tie is over, and use it towards paying Costa's fee; a court of law shouldn't care about UEFA's regulations in a contract dispute

3. At the end of the season recall Courtois

That's if we want to be jerks about the whole thing.

I'm confused.

There's no Atletico fans invading the forum? Is this normal? What is this civilized aftermath?

there was this one dutch atletico fan last time and he was all nice and polite etc

I don't see how Atletico is a easier mashup then Real. Football is not played on paper and it is not always about individual talents. If you look at Real on paper they should be on top of La liga first of all, but they come nowhere near close to Atletico in terms of mentality, Alti is a strong side mentally who will play hard and give it all obviously they get that from their manager who i rate so highly. Also Real are great bunch of individual talent but they also don't come close to Alti in terms of unity and cohesive as a team. Real loss at home against Barca perfectly displays why they will not win the league or the CL, they were obviously the better side against Barca but they bottled it with poor individual mistakes. That kinda mentality will not win you the CL with that kinda lack of composure

I am pretty certain that the CL winner will come out of this fixture.

is it only me whoes positive of the draw?!! ... i think this was the best of the 3... whateve RM and Bayern weakness are they have a very positive advantages in attack....

watch the match against milan and AM ... we have a pretty good chance....

they do good pressing i agree.... but we havent seen them play against teams like bayern and chelsea or mancity....

players like oscar and hazard and willian do pretty good in beating markers.....that means they will have double overlapping style marking....then midfield gets thrown open...

remember our pressing against liverpool at home... they are more used to physically pressing players from spanish league!!

we are used to physical pressing!! not that we have come on top everytime but we are used to it!

ppl talk AM is our nemises in tactics.... i think its the other way .... diego simeone has over the years created a team based on his philosphy of strong pressing and yes we got owned at supercup but the team then was a few days old!! hazard had just come in so had oscar.....no drogs no terry...luiz was in defence

AND now we have mourinho.....hiw many times have you seen him get outplayed in tactics?!!.....

real madrid are an out and out attacking team ....lot of you saying we will have lots of pockets to attack but have you seen their attack!!!

bayern not that attacking and vulnerable at the back but again really good players with good momentum....

these are the kind of teams you should meet only once and with an effective gameplan overcamed.... never give them to analize and come back at us... perfect for finals

atletico are the best option.....we can really do this...just worried about luiz and willian yellow cards

and just read above AM are cup team..... what the hell are we?!! we are the best cup team in europe!!

this is our speciality...some play tika taka...some score for fun...some walk together...some keep passing the ball infront of goal....we...we win trophies B)

All this talk of ethics is tiring.

1. Activate Costa's release clause a couple of days before the first leg if they won't honour the contract they signed with us

2. Sue them for the 8 million they should have paid us after the tie is over, and use it towards paying Costa's fee; a court of law shouldn't care about UEFA's regulations in a contract dispute

3. At the end of the season recall Courtois

That's if we want to be jerks about the whole thing.

You people are dicks.