UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

I think this is such an underestimation of Atleti. You're in for a surprise.

Nah... not at all. I watch them TONS! This is about the final four and the lesser of 3 evils. If I had my choice between Atleti, Bayern or Real I'd take Atleti over two legs for sure.

Nah... not at all. I watch them TONS! This is about the final four and the lesser of 3 evils. If I had my choice between Atleti, Bayern or Real I'd take Atleti over two legs for sure.

You watch them tons and think they're the weakest of the four teams?

To each his own I guess.

You watch them tons and think they're the weakest of the four teams?

To each his own I guess.

Who is the weakest in your expert opinion? keeping in mind of course that I say this in the final four of the champions league where experience counts.

Experience. Hardly anyone in that Atletico side have been this far in the competition, Real have been there so many times they have ICE in their veins. At this level in the competition its about knowing how to win these games and not being too cavalier and not being too timid. You need a manager whose been there and done it before as well as a squad who have experience at this level.

No question in my mind that Atletico are the weakest of the 4 teams and thats not because I don't rate them, they are playing unbelievable football this year; they have overachieved. For me though Final 4 will come down to experience and Chelsea, Real and Bayern all have that...

Atletico has not overachieved, they are at where they should be. Among the best in Europe, simply they belong in the last 4. This Atletico side is experienced, may not have CL experience but they have made numerous cup runs in the last few years.

Dortmund made to the final last season, without numerous attempts in CL. This Atletico side been together for a while, their style is very dangerous in CL football. This is a freaking good team.

I am not a believer in Real. Ramos can get sent off in a dime of moment, they will concede goals that they shouldn't. They play the worst "team/unity" football out of the remaining sides. They have had a easy road to the semi final, not really tested. Also Ronaldo could miss the first leg in Madrid, this could get ugly.

Who is the weakest in your expert opinion? keeping in mind of course that I say this in the final four of the champions league where experience counts.

I completely agree with @Joker10 and with what @remains of the day said. This Atleti team is a very, very organised, drilled and settled side.

While the other three teams are still adjusting and adapting to a new system, tactics, coaching methods etc these Atleti players have mastered Simeone's system so they don't have much weaknesses to exploit. There are question marks as to whether they have the depth to compete on two fronts ( I don't think they do) but anyone who thinks this tie will be only slightly more harder than PSG will be very surprised.

Atletico has not overachieved, they are at where they should be. Among the best in Europe, simply they belong in the last 4. This Atletico side is experienced, may not have CL experience but they have made numerous cup runs in the last few years.

Dortmund made to the final last season, without numerous attempts in CL. This Atletico side been together for a while, their style is very dangerous in CL football. This is a freaking good team.

I am not a believer in Real. Ramos can get sent off in a dime of moment, they will concede goals that they shouldn't. They play the worst "team/unity" football out of the remaining sides. They have had a easy road to the semi final, not really tested. Also Ronaldo could miss the first leg in Madrid, this could get ugly.

To each his own for sure.

Nobody is discrediting what Atletico have accomplished this year, but it would be foolish to think they carry more of a threat than battle tested Bayern or Real. Of course they belong here they've played incredible football, no one is underestimating what they are doing. If you ask me you're underestimating Real Madrid and Bayern

I completely agree with @Joker10 and with what @remains of the day said. This Atleti team is a very, very organised, drilled and settled side.

While the other three teams are still adjusting and adapting to a new system, tactics, coaching methods etc these Atleti players have mastered Simeone's system so they don't have much weaknesses to exploit. There are question marks as to whether they have the depth to compete on two fronts ( I don't think they do) but anyone who thinks this tie will be only slightly more harder than PSG will be very surprised.

Yes very well organized and drilled but not battled tested at this level and the intangibles will have an effect at this stage in the competition with the teams so close. Sorry inexperienced manager, inexperienced squad is without a doubt the more favourable tie to defending champions, manager with 2 wins or 4-time semis, generational talent and a winning experienced manager.

And you're mincing words to great effect here. I never said it would be a walk in the park what I did say, and it holds, is Atletico are the weakest of the four teams left in the competition. Still waiting to hear who you think is weaker... If it is indeed Real Madrid I would argue you are underestimating them.

Compared to 2012, this year we have much higher chances of reaching the final and winning CL. A tough tie against Atletico for sure, but if think about it, if someone asked at the beginning of the CL would you take a CL semi final against Atletico, everyone would've said yes :D

Hopefully, Eto'o and Hazard manage to be 100% ready and no one else gets injured. We have a rather good chance at CL this season!

Can't wait for the game!! :blue scalf:

Yes very well organized and drilled but not battled tested at this level and the intangibles will have an effect at this stage in the competition with the teams so close. Sorry inexperienced manager, inexperienced squad is without a doubt the more favourable tie to defending champions, manager with 2 wins or 4-time semis, generational talent and a winning experienced manager.

And you're mincing words to great effect here. I never said it would be a walk in the park what I did say, and it holds, is Atletico are the weakest of the four teams left in the competition. Still waiting to hear who you think is weaker... If it is indeed Real Madrid I would argue you are underestimating them.

This is the same team who got a draw against RM (actually draw flatters Real because Costa missed tons of chances).

Against madrid n barca, we can play our game COUNTER and COUNTER which is what we r good at. Atletico is a different team. They are scrappy, defensive (they play 442 close to their own box against barca, there is no way real or bayern will ever do that), organized. Team that we don't like playing against

If I could chose, It would be:

1. Real

2. Bayern

3. Atletico

The reason is simple.

Real are weakened (injuries). Plus Mourinho against them would be a HUGE factor.

Bayern: Yes they are probably the best team on paper out of those 3 teams, but we've beaten them and drew against them in the supercup.

Atletico showed us in the supercup they are a team to count on. Plus we havent faced them as much AND every underrestimates them, which is really dumb.

It is definitely not an easy game. The battle in midfield will be crucial. The one who dominates this are is more likely to win the match. I don;t think our team lacks that intensity and technicality to match up with them. I think we are even as far as the players are concerned or the difference is not that great. But we do have the upper hand tactically. They will try to disrupt our system and we will do the same. The one who forces his system and tempo on the other is likely the one to win.

And they have a superior midfield imo. (matic is not eligible, don't forget). also their midfield as a unit has been together for a while, much more balanced than ours and are better at retaining posession when need be. I just can't see how a midfield of lampard, Ramires, Mikel and Luiz can dominate AM's. bypassing the midfield and going route 1 for the most part is our best option imo.

And they have a superior midfield imo. (matic is not eligible, don't forget). also their midfield as a unit has been together for a while, much more balanced than ours and are better at retaining posession when need be. I just can't see how a midfield of lampard, Ramires, Mikel and Luiz can dominate AM's. bypassing the midfield and going route 1 for the most part is our best option imo.

I would totally agree with you but you are missing out Willian, Oscar, and Schurrle. They contribute so much to defense. So practically speaking it is combo of DMs and those three putting the pressure on their midfield. If you watch the PSG game again, specifically the second half and just ignore everything and observe the movements of those three especially Willian. It is massive mate. I don't know if the Atletico midfield played with each other more because I haven't watched them a lot. ( only 6 games), but I am sure they will feel a lot of pressure. Even from the mental aspect. It is going to be a tough one and if things go normally I don't see many goals scored over the two leagues. But you never know what might happen. But know doubt they have a tight midfield.

Hate to tell you, we have a weak, inexperienced team. Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Willian, you know, our most important players are inexperienced. Atleti has a great team, Turan, Koke, Costa, Villa, Diego, a solid defense. Don't underestimate them, they're great.

Hate to tell you, we have a weak, inexperienced team. Hazard, Oscar, Schurrle, Willian, you know, our most important players are inexperienced. Atleti has a great team, Turan, Koke, Costa, Villa, Diego, a solid defense. Don't underestimate them, they're great.

Once again the negative Nancy's here to strut their feathers.

Listen dude no one is underestimating them it's been said 100 times they are in the final four because they are a fantastic team! To me the final four comes down to experience at THIS LEVEL! Chelsea have a manager who's won it twice and been to the semis something like 9 times. Cech has won it and been to the semis tons of times, same for lampard, cole, ivanovic, terry, Eto'o. Luiz, Ramires, Cahill have won it. We have LOADS of experience in this sort of tie, who does atletico have to lean on?

Sure hazard, Oscar, schurrle and Willian are green but they have a team around them that are veteran laden and know how to take pressure off of them. There is no substitute for experience at this level in the competition. Simple. End of story.

I expect most of you Nancy's to be posting 'it was never in doubt' and 'written in the stars' after the tie too...

Once again the negative Nancy's here to strut their feathers.

Listen dude no one is underestimating them it's been said 100 times they are in the final four because they are a fantastic team! To me the final four comes down to experience at THIS LEVEL! Chelsea have a manager who's won it twice and been to the semis something like 9 times. Cech has won it and been to the semis tons of times, same for lampard, cole, ivanovic, terry, Eto'o. Luiz, Ramires, Cahill have won it. We have LOADS of experience in this sort of tie, who does atletico have to lean on?

Sure hazard, Oscar, schurrle and Willian are green but they have a team around them that are veteran laden and know how to take pressure off of them. There is no substitute for experience at this level in the competition. Simple. End of story.

I expect most of you Nancy's to be posting 'it was never in doubt' and 'written in the stars' after the tie too...

Don't fucking call me a "Nancy", i was the first on here saying we could erase the deficet against PSG, some of you just are discrediting Atelti. Dortmund didn't have experience last year, or a manager who had tons of winning experience. Not saying they'll beat us, I think we can beat them. Experience is important, but not always THE deciding factor. Ultimately it will come down to what team wants it more, who plays harder, and forces the tempo.

Don't fucking call me a "Nancy", i was the first on here saying we could erase the deficet against PSG, some of you just are discrediting Atelti. Dortmund didn't have experience last year, or a manager who had tons of winning experience. Not saying they'll beat us, I think we can beat them. Experience is important, but not always THE deciding factor. Ultimately it will come down to what team wants it more, who plays harder, and forces the tempo.

Dortmund won the league two years in a row prior to last year, and had a few CL campaigns under their belt. That's experience despite it being of a smaller scale IMO.

Dortmund narrowly beat a broken Real team.

Experience at this level is huge, don't care what anyone says. The other stuff you are drawing on can only be implemented effectively if you have the experience at this level. Deer's caught in the headlights won't be able to dictate tempo.