UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

First off UEFA should butt out! If there is a legally binding contract that states Thibault can only play under certain circumstances then that's between the two clubs.

I am actually glad we drew Atletico, was hoping for it! They are a very difficult side to play against but no more than Real and Bayern. We should be favourited in this tie and over two legs we have a better chance of prevailing than in a one off.

Two legs, the second is at the Bridge. We should be able to see this through as Jose is obviously a tactical genius and will have the squad well drilled on what to expect having played them and not lost to them either.

We lose Brana and may be without Hazard; they may be without Turan and Costa. Its gonna be a very close tie no matter how you slice it so all we can hope for is our experience in the competition and the spirit of the club take us through!

First off UEFA should butt out! If there is a legally binding contract that states Thibault can only play under certain circumstances then that's between the two clubs.

I am actually glad we drew Atletico, was hoping for it! They are a very difficult side to play against but no more than Real and Bayern. We should be favourited in this tie and over two legs we have a better chance of prevailing than in a one off.

Two legs, the second is at the Bridge. We should be able to see this through as Jose is obviously a tactical genius and will have the squad well drilled on what to expect having played them and not lost to them either.

We lose Brana and may be without Hazard; they may be without Turan and Costa. Its gonna be a very close tie no matter how you slice it so all we can hope for is our experience in the competition and the spirit of the club take us through!

There is not one cunt sitting at UEFA who wants Chelsea to win the CL again. That´s the bottom line.

There is not one cunt sitting at UEFA who wants Chelsea to win the CL again. That´s the bottom line.

couldn't be more right. Atletico to the finals gives them a healthy paycheck to help keep their best players and thus keep La Liga(UEFA's league) from plummeting even further.

Cant stop thinking about winning the cl-el- cl in a row.

That would be such a big achievement for the club.

It will be tough games with 2 teams that will give everything they got with loads of heart and desire.

Sooooo looking forward to this

couldn't be more right. Atletico to the finals gives them a healthy paycheck to help keep their best players and thus keep La Liga(UEFA's league) from plummeting even further.

Some say, Jose has got news for UEFA, soon.

His experience in the CL should prevail, I feel.

Can you imagine if that frog passes the trophy to Jose again?

IF our game plan is spot on and the players play well we shouldn't have to rely on whether a GK plays or not. I know it's in the contract, but maybe we can use this as leverage for Costa?

Here's the thing about that. Atletico are in the final 4 of the champions league and in pole position for a La Liga title, why on earth would they sell Costa? They won't need the money anymore and are highly competitive.

Here's the thing about that. Atletico are in the final 4 of the champions league and in pole position for a La Liga title, why on earth would they sell Costa? They won't need the money anymore and are highly competitive.

Money? Atletico is in a deep financial hole.

Money? Atletico is in a deep financial hole.

They're in that hole because they haven't been competitive. If they get to the finals of the CL and win La Liga its a different story. Hell even now, a semi finals berth helps them immensely

They're in that hole because they haven't been competitive. If they get to the finals of the CL and win La Liga its a different story. Hell even now, a semi finals berth helps them immensely

Yes, I agree, it helps them immensely. Still, I have read, they need much more than some 40m they may pull in for CL & Laliga.

Don´t forget, Courtois is on their radar. That alone is 20m.

He shouldn't play because it's the ETHICAL thing to do. The one that doesn't leave doubt for any questions and that should be UEFA's rule, not Chelsea or Atletico's decision. Too many interests crossing. It's stupid not to have that rule in the first place.

Exactly! What if he has a real stinker? the next thing you will hear is Chelsea bought Courtois/promised him a bump in salary on his new deal. Roman made a deal with Atletico... It just opens the door for too much speculation. Atletico have already GREATLY benefitted from the loan deal, it makes no sense for them to jeopardize the good relationship we've established by breaching the contract. Granted, who knows if they're even in breach, Gourlay said today that he is allowed to play not there is a stipulation in the contract stopping him.

Exactly! What if he has a real stinker? the next thing you will hear is Chelsea bought Courtois/promised him a bump in salary on his new deal. Roman made a deal with Atletico... It just opens the door for too much speculation. Atletico have already GREATLY benefitted from the loan deal, it makes no sense for them to jeopardize the good relationship we've established by breaching the contract. Granted, who knows if they're even in breach, Gourlay said today that he is allowed to play not there is a stipulation in the contract stopping him.

but regardless of the contract. Respecting and honoring the contract is the honorable thing to do. I got both things mixed in my post.

Having this rule is the ethical thing. So if we don't follow the contract not only it's not honorable on Atletico's side imo, but it's also unethical. If there's no clause in contract it's unethical. End of the story.

We all know a lot of people have been trying to incriminate us and Roman for years, alleging we don't play fair - as far I know we do, we spent as much money as we wanted when there were no rules for FFP and now we're abiding to it.

It seems like a golden opportunity for someone with bad intentions to find the small breach they were looking for to harm us because nobody likes it that we have money, but also much more than that. Nobody likes our success and there are too many bitter people and people with interests of their own who may have a chance to open a process or go to UEFA to question all things involved if he plays and we win - which let's be real here, it's at least a 50% chance of happening, as I think - just I did with PSG - that the teams have sort of the same chances with us with the slight edge. I think we even have a bigger edge against them than I thought against PSG because what's at stake here is a spot in the UCL final, I'm not sure if that's not out of Atletico's league (mentally speaking). So there's a good chance we win this and if he plays then all sort of questions could be asked by whoever wants to ask them... Don't we agree sometimes about 'doable' saves? Some people think Cech could have saved some of the goals we've conceded while others think it's natural for a keeper - even his level - to concede such goals. It's too much gray for me to be comfortable and we all know we make a lot of people jealous, envious and bitter - and that's not only regarding fans and opposition players and managers, but also people in UEFA and FA.

Weren't we accused a couple of weeks ago of influencing Vitesse and not allowing them to win the league so we don't have a chance of facing them in UCL? What do you think they'll do if an unfortunate situation happens with Thibaut (who may be more nervous than usual not only because of what's at stake but also because the situation he is in) and then someone decides to open an investigation on our integrity? It's a MESS and a disaster waiting to happen. Even a blind can see it.

what players are suspended for the first leg besides Ivanovic?

according to http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/statistics/round=2000479/players/kind=disciplinary/index.html, Juanfran, Gabi, Koke, Lampard, Willian, Luiz, Mikel and Insua are 1 card away from suspension for the 2nd leg.

But what about Raul Garcia? did he serve his suspension?

At the end of the day, Courtois is a Chelsea player, and Atletico is the one that should be concerned. Not the other way around.

Not worried one bit about this draw:

1) Mourinho NEVER lost a game v Atletico.

2) 2nd game is at the Stamford Bridge fortress.

3) Mourinho already has a plan how to beat all 3 teams.

We're going to Lisbon. It's. Written. In. The. Stars.

The 1) is sadly untrue. They've lost in the Cup final last year.

But other points still stand :)