UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

Im still not fully aware that we're two games away from another CL final, its like it all happend too fast. I realy didnt expect a CL final this season, it could be hugh.

Exactly!!! It feels surreal.to be in the final four! People don't expect us to win it though.

UEFA has nothing to do with a contract that was signed by both clubs. It is up to the parties involved what should and shouldn't happen. Secondly, AM haven't played a difficult match in the CL par Barca to an extent. They were yet to lose to Barca prior to the CL matches, so there was no surprise on my behalf they progressed quite comfortability IMO.

And let's not fool ourselves here, this Barça team isn't a shadow of what it used to be.

It has a terrible defense and their attacking players are struggling at the moment for different reasons - form, physically, adaptation, etc... I'm not saying they're poor, but they aren't even a resemblance of the team we beat two years ago. Their manager isn't that much great imo and I think they never got over the spanking Bayern gave them last year. The team dismantled since then (also coinciding with Messi's injuries starting about that time too).

I'm not diminishing Atleti, I'm not underrating them. But they're only slightly better than PSG imo (have a better manager imo), while I think PSG have more experienced players in UCL. I think the prospect of reaching UCL final may be too much for them to handle and they'll crumble because of it. One split moment, one bad decision and boom, it's over. We all know that's how it works in tight games at this stage and I don't expect last season's Super Cup to be repeated at all (for any of the sides). We didn't have a team as good as now, there wasn't much at stake (that's a mickey mouse trophy) and we had di Matteo but then, not Mourinho. So I don't expect that show of horror to be repeated. That was one of the worst matches I've seen Chelsea since following the club.

Barbara you are missing an important point. That both of them, Chelsea and Atletico, don't mind him playing for a fee. That is part of the agreement. If they pay, he plays. Both of them are prepared to overlook conflicts or whether it is ethical or not. Should their be a law or restriction by UEFA to avoid things like that? Maybe. It is debatable. You might find this unethical, I might see it ethical but it doesn't matter really. What matters is what both parties involved see it as. You and I know very well that at good moments and bad ones people talk and question things. We win against Paris, most people are happy but some would still call it lucky and have a go at a player or the manager. We lose from Paris, the same scenario happens. So there is no clear way to stop people from not coming up with conspiracy theories . Say for the sake of being ethical from your point of view, he doesn't play regardless if they are willing to pay a fee or not, the Costa situation still exists and Courtois loan agreement is not over :). There are still conflict of interests there right? Rumors will exist right? I can guarantee you that whether we win or lose, with Courtois or without him, some people would put speculations about it. Not long ago Hazard gave a polite comment and all of a sudden he is a bad guy, didn't want to face his new team!!!! What if Costa plays bad? Is he doing it for Chelsea? What of he play exceptionally well? Does that mean he doesn't like us and doesn't want to join? In this game and industry, there are always conflict of interests. Always some sort of a hunt and fight off the field and on the field. Again both Chelsea and Atletico agreeing to those terms means that they are willing to overlook this matter. As far as Cesar's wife is concerned I am 100% with you :D. I respect your opinion and point of view as usual.

no, sweetie, you're the one missing it.

Cerezo (their president) said they can't afford the fee (it was posted pages ago) and then UEFA came and said the contract between the parts is null from their perspective... so the point is, Atletico can't pay the fee, UEFA won't force the fee to be paid and Courtois theoretically can play - despite the contract between the parts. The decision as it is falls on Atletico. Unless Chelsea play some cards like - if you play him, you won't have him next year. And that's where the problems start...

I have a problem with Atletico disregarding a clause they agreed to and I have a problem with UEFA not sanctioning a loaned player to play for the parent club. The former is about honoring their agreement (and using UEFA's position to make them not pay and play the player). The latter is about ethic. If a player can't play none of those other developments will follow. Such as speculations of it playing a part in the loan renewal and/or Costa negotiation.

I may be one of the only ones who did not want this fixture. If I'm correct Madrid are like us in the sense that they have a rigid system where everyone has their role, a good emphasis on athelticsm and workmanship, and an emphasis of everyone having defensive duties. Just like in a magnetic force, when both of either a postive or negative force face each other both will push away from each other. That happened in both Champions league semi finals againsts Rafa's Liverpool and if my idea of Madrid are correct (although feel free to correct me as I have not watched a lot of Spanish football this season so my idea may be wrong) then the same could easily happen in the next few weeks. Atleast with Bayern or Real they will try and go on the front foot which Mourinho loves because it allows us to hit on the break. With Atletico we may be having two stalemate matches where the winner will be decided by either just one goal or on penalties.

Apparently UEFA can do that:

In a statement, Uefa explained: "Both the Champions League and the disciplinary regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match."

It added: "It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as Uefa is concerned.

"Furthermore, any attempt to enforce such a provision would be a clear violation of both the Uefa Champions League and the Uefa disciplinary regulations and would therefore be sanctioned accordingly."

In a statement, Uefa explained: "Both the Champions League and the disciplinary regulations contain clear provisions which strictly forbid any club to exert, or attempt to exert, any influence whatsoever over the players that another club may (or may not) field in a match."

It added: "It follows that any provision in a private contract between clubs which might function in such a way as to influence who a club fields in a match is null, void and unenforceable so far as Uefa is concerned.

"Furthermore, any attempt to enforce such a provision would be a clear violation of both the Uefa Champions League and the Uefa disciplinary regulations and would therefore be sanctioned accordingly."

That is a bigger load of bollocks than a Moyes team talk...

It's toothless. Like a Piracy warning on BluRays... They try that - every game involving a loaned player will suddenly be challenged!

They are stupid at UEFA but not complete fucking idiots - it's just 'sabre' rattling - they have no clear legislation on this scenario and they know they are fucked trying to enforce it.

Seriously it's the biggest load of shit I have ever read. A contract was willingly entered into by both paries - it's not unfairly putting them at a disadvantage - if they want to play him it costs x. If they don't it costs nothing - it is THEIR choice. Fucking whining to UEFA

If the contract truly is null and void - and Atletico field him - then they have fielded an illegible player as the clubs have no 'loan' agreement! Lets see how that pans out ;)

If it was me. Courtious would be on the first plane home.

People on twitter already saying we have the easiest route to the final... it's like they only go on names without actually watching teams play. Atletico knocked out Barcelona, who let us not forget knocked out Man city with ease in the previous round. They are also top of La liga for gods sake. These same people probably thought City will win the CL...:lol:

And let's not fool ourselves here, this Barça team isn't a shadow of what it used to be.

It has a terrible defense and their attacking players are struggling at the moment for different reasons - form, physically, adaptation, etc... I'm not saying they're poor, but they aren't even a resemblance of the team we beat two years ago. Their manager isn't that much great imo and I think they never got over the spanking Bayern gave them last year. The team dismantled since then (also coinciding with Messi's injuries starting about that time too).

I'm not diminishing Atleti, I'm not underrating them. But they're only slightly better than PSG imo (have a better manager imo), while I think PSG have more experienced players in UCL. I think the prospect of reaching UCL final may be too much for them to handle and they'll crumble because of it. One split moment, one bad decision and boom, it's over. We all know that's how it works in tight games at this stage and I don't expect last season's Super Cup to be repeated at all (for any of the sides). We didn't have a team as good as now, there wasn't much at stake (that's a mickey mouse trophy) and we had di Matteo but then, not Mourinho. So I don't expect that show of horror to be repeated. That was one of the worst matches I've seen Chelsea since following the club.

IMO, AM don't have better players that PSG, but they have a team. I also think their team is weaker than the side we lost to in the Super Cup. I really think we have a great chance of reaching the final and possibly winning our third successive European trophy.

That is quite unnecessary from UEFA since our board was already leaning towards allowing Courtois to play...