UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

Dortmund won the league two years in a row prior to last year, and had a few CL campaigns under their belt. That's experience despite it being of a smaller scale IMO.

Atletico has won the Copa Del Rey, Europa Leage, and UEFA Super Cup.

Dortmund narrowly beat a broken Real team.

Experience at this level is huge, don't care what anyone says. The other stuff you are drawing on can only be implemented effectively if you have the experience at this level. Deer's caught in the headlights won't be able to dictate tempo.

Last year? Dortmund handled Madrid last year. So the only possible way to win is with experience? Ever hear of a "Cinderella team"?

I would totally agree with you but you are missing out Willian, Oscar, and Schurrle. They contribute so much to defense. So practically speaking it is combo of DMs and those three putting the pressure on their midfield. If you watch the PSG game again, specifically the second half and just ignore everything and observe the movements of those three especially Willian. It is massive mate. I don't know if the Atletico midfield played with each other more because I haven't watched them a lot. ( only 6 games), but I am sure they will feel a lot of pressure. Even from the mental aspect. It is going to be a tough one and if things go normally I don't see many goals scored over the two leagues. But you never know what might happen. But know doubt they have a tight midfield.

I believe William and Schurrle's job will be tracking the movement of Turan and Villa and providing adequate protection for Azpi and Cole rather than beefing up the midfield. Only time will tell.

To me it may come down to two factors. mistake and stamina: whoever wins that battle will no doubt have the competitive advantage imo. we can leave absolutely no room for error and I do not have confidence in the teams stamina. only William and ramires I have been impressed with in that regard. others naturally tire out towards to last 10 minutes or so.

Last year? Dortmund handled Madrid last year. So the only possible way to win is with experience? Ever hear of a "Cinderella team"?

Yes Dortmund beat a broken Real Madrid narrowly. And no it's not the only possible way but the odds of a win fall in your favour if you have experience. Simple stuff here brother...

I am referring to the current team, and not past glories. Copa Del Rey was a one off match, but winning a league two years in a row isn't even comparable.

I absolutely agree with iseah10 that the importance of experience is often overstated and exaggerated. To my mind the 3 biggest factors in winning a competition like the champions league, in order of importance are

1) Luck: with injuries and suspension, referring decision going your way and the opponent not converting the chances they create and vice versa.

2)Quality and depth of the team

3) Manager/tactical superiority.

Those 3 factors are far more important than experience imo.

Yes Dortmund beat a broken Real Madrid narrowly. And no it's not the only possible way but the odds of a win fall in your favour if you have experience. Simple stuff here brother...

Umm...yea sure.

Not necessarily, Barca had more experience than Atletico and they lost. I know is experience is a deciding factor and it's good to have, but teams without experience can excel too. Just don't overrate the "experience" factor.

I absolutely agree with iseah10 that the importance of experience is often overstated and exaggerated. To my mind the 3 biggest factors in winning a competition like the champions league, in order of importance are

1) Luck: with injuries and suspension, referring decision going your way and the opponent not converting the chances they create and vice versa.

Experience, and the mental strength, this is more important than anything. Think of Chelsea, in past 5 years, we have had a very poor team in Premier League, but always doing very very well in Europe. This is because many players have played Champions League semi final, final, so many times, it is just everyday thing now for them. They are not worried. Look at Real Madrid, much better team than Chelsea past 5 years, never getting to the final.

This is why we are beating Napoli and PSG after losing heavily first leg, they do not have experience or confidence enough to finish off Chelsea. Atlético is the same, because 2nd leg is in London, it will be very easy for Chelsea to win, even if the Madrid match is a loss. They are still scared, this is their biggest match in many many years. Last time Chelsea are scared of Champions League match is 2004, when Monaco are defeating Chelsea.

LOL. Look at PSG, Napoli two years ago. Do not have experience of playing games with high stakes. Came to Chelsea with 3-1 lead and capitulated. Cinderella stories happen ofcourse. Experience is not a certainty but at the top level in last 10 years you see the same clubs coming to the end of Champions League stages - Barca ManU Chelsea to name three

We are already in the final, those striker we going for in the market don't want to score against their future team i believe that will apply to costa missing his chances. Add to the master tactician Jose I will say we in the final

Don't underestimate Atleti. In 2012 we knocked out Barca because it was our destiny. The football God's shined down on us to repay our club for all the times we were robbed in Europe. I believe in destiny. If we knock them out, I'm almost certain we'll win the final.

Experience, and the mental strength, this is more important than anything. Think of Chelsea, in past 5 years, we have had a very poor team in Premier League, but always doing very very well in Europe. This is because many players have played Champions League semi final, final, so many times, it is just everyday thing now for them. They are not worried. Look at Real Madrid, much better team than Chelsea past 5 years, never getting to the final.

This is why we are beating Napoli and PSG after losing heavily first leg, they do not have experience or confidence enough to finish off Chelsea. Atlético is the same, because 2nd leg is in London, it will be very easy for Chelsea to win, even if the Madrid match is a loss. They are still scared, this is their biggest match in many many years. Last time Chelsea are scared of Champions League match is 2004, when Monaco are defeating Chelsea.

Exacty. Being in semis this year isnt just important for this season, but also very important for playrs mentality. They will gain experience and even if we lose this time, Hazard, Oscar, Willian and co will know how it is to play there, it will be much easier in next years.