Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

6 hours ago, pHaRaOn said:

I saw some posts about how Lukaku can't score against a big teams.

Lukaku' goals in Premier League (WBA + Everton):

Top 4: 12 (14,2%)
5-10: 26 (30,6%)
11-16: 24 (28,2%)
Bottom 4: 23 (27%)

For example:

Morata' goals in Serie A (Juventus) + La Liga (Real Madrid):

Top 4: 1 (2,5%)
5-10: 13 (32,5%)
11-16: 12 (30%)
Bottom 4: 14 (35%)

Harry Kane' goals in Premier League (Tottenham):

Top 4: 8 (10,3%)
5-10: 20 (25,6%)
11-16: 28 (35,9%)
Bottom 4: 22 (28,2%)

Well there goes that complaint :lol:

Lol going for Lukaku and Bakayoko over Morata and Tolisso sums us up. Though, as long as we get Tolisso im happy. Bring back fucking torres and id still be happy. 

Man do i want us to sign Tolisso!

Oh, yeh. Lukaku I don't mind. 

if you want to convince yourself who to get as a striker between morata and lukaku ask yourself this question.

if Mancheater united where to sign any of them before we did, which manchester would you fear the most?

is it the one with Morata or the one with lukaku? Personally i wanted morata because i felt Conte wanted him so he knew what he was going to do with him but then this question popped up and i changed my mind because there are so many teams in the League who can handle players like Morata but not quite so with Lukaku. The teams with the Harry Kane's the Lukaku's the Ibra's and the Costa's have their players averageing 20 goals. strikers like Firminio, Aguero Rasford or let me put it this way "link up play strikers" are finding it more difficult to score. 

Why do you think Man u didnt have Morata as their plan B but rather Lukaku simply because he is EPL PROVEN. Yes i worry too that if he arrives and is shit like POGBA am going to have to endure all the teasing  and embarassment that comes with buying a player you once rejected.

I cant see a striker who is able to score a hattrick against Osasuna do same against Sunderland or Sevilla do same against West Brom. Just cant see that happening

Many on this platform say lukaku can play against top teams. Lets do some math, there are 6 top teams in the epl of which we are one of them. So every season we have 10 difficult games that is 30pts for the season. Leaving us with 28 winnable games making 84pts for grabs. So with Lukaku who bullies small teams as to what people are saying can give us 84pts at least. Since football is a team game we should say that the remaining 30pts will not be totally lost because the other 9 outfield players can win them for us. This is a solution for those who worry that he can't play big games.

teams like west brom can't be broken by link up play strikers and since more of such teams are present in the league we find chelsea in who would you rather have.

My opinion is I would rather we have Lukaku and keep Bats too.

LETS SOAK THIS IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I only hope he has improved his altitude and work ethic. You can have all the talents in the world but still end up shit like baloteli.

and costa's off so no way out. At least he would not talk bs like how much he want to go somewhere once every three months

Comparison between Romelu Lukaku and Harry Kane.

Personally I was one of Lukaku's biggest critics for the longest time. I always believed that the technical deficiencies in his game would prevent him from being a top player and he could never improve his abilities in this aspect substantially. However he's slowly and gradually proved me wrong. At this moment of time it's pretty clear that he is better than Costa technically and also possesses a higher football IQ. His awareness of space and movement of teammates relative to his position in or around the box is also a big improvement since his time at Chelsea. 

He's very good at being the striker who receives the ball in his feet and makes a sharp turn, using his strength and speed.  Then he can open his above average vision for a striker to find teammates or make something happen himself. I never understood the similarities to Drogba around the time when Mourinho arrived for the second time. Aside from the fact that they are both big and black strikers, there really weren't any other similarities. Drogba's biggest quality that Lukaku never had at the was the intelligence to use his strength effectively. Imo Romelu was and still is a physically stronger player than Drogba. However, if you watched both play around that time you'd think that Drogba is the stronger player in a sense that he used his strength to shield and hold up the ball way more effectively. 

But now Lukaku has grown a lot in this aspect. He uses body much better than he did before and alongside his improved technique, he's edging closer and closer towards becoming a perfect striker. You can see what I'm talking about in this newly posted Youtube video:

As you can see, his combination use of his body and the ball have improved drastically.  People often complain that he struggles using these in big games, but as @The Skipper mentioned it's fairly obvious that Everton play very defensively in big games and look for scraps up top. In these type of situations it's very harsh to judge a striker's performance and abilities. But even then, if you look at the table I posted above or the statistic that @pHaRaOn posted you'll see that he's managed to have a very solid big game record in his CV. I think this record will improve even more if/when he comes to Chelsea and he'll become a hit here, comfortably scoring 20+ goals in the league if our season goes relatively well. 

Morata works great for his teammates, he makes others around him better, With his link ups and movements to create space for  others. He will not top Lukaku as a goal scorer. But his benefits to the team outweighs that.  On the other hand the whole team works for Lukaku to score. Teams play Chelsea much tighter and more defensive then Everton. So there is more advantage to playing for Everton then some of you would like to admit.

Morata is the type of player I want, also for the first time since Eto'o was here Hazard would finally have a competent striker to link up with. Surrounding your best player with a player that would compliment him should be strongly considered. It would be a great shame for Hazard to spend his entire Chelsea career to go from linking up with Torres, Costa, and now Possibly Lukaku. 

From what I've seen from Everton all this time is that when they play poorly, Rom is poor. 

If they dominate a match, so does Lukaku and he scores. 

Very straightforward but that's how I see it and I know for one we have much better players dan Everton have so I'm sure we'll be fine with a striker who will give his all every match because he actually wants to play for us. 

1 hour ago, Dahnald said:

This. 

If this isn't enough evidence to point out Lukaku will be a hit I don't know what will. 

Higuain is brilliant scorer too and I wouldnt have him here in a million years. Why? Because he is a potato in big games.

I hope for the sake of fluid football and better link up between our attackers, we get Morata.

Very best players can play in tight spaces, thats why Modric is miles ahead of Cesc ever will be, regardless of all the stats you can throw. 

Morata can play in tight spaces and certainly has potential to improve his finishing (nevermind he already scored 20 in limited time, ending second best scorer at Real for current season). Lukaku's touch and control have improved alot since 3 years ago, but that doesnt say much, he was a donkey back then. Even today he is not as great under pressure. 

If we want to dominate opponents and if we ever want to play nice football on regular basis and push Eden to next level, we need skilled striker too. Outmuscling opponents is not working against top sides anymore. 

13 hours ago, Rapkun said:

Seeing Morata play just now makes me so sad that we have to go after Lukaku while the former is available and so much more talented. There really is something wrong with the chelsea board when Lukaku and Bakayoko are first options and Morata Tolisso are second...

Lukaku > Morata though. Bakayoko is just as big of a talent as Tolisso too. Not sure what's so bad about this. 

Also, how on earth do you know who's first or second choice? You got Roman and Conte's ear?

13 hours ago, Rapkun said:

Seeing Morata play just now makes me so sad that we have to go after Lukaku while the former is available and so much more talented. There really is something wrong with the chelsea board when Lukaku and Bakayoko are first options and Morata Tolisso are second...

You've no idea who the board are after. Just what the media tell you 

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Higuain is brilliant scorer too and I wouldnt have him here in a million years. Why? Because he is a potato in big games.

I hope for the sake of fluid football and better link up between our attackers, we get Morata.

Very best players can play in tight spaces, thats why Modric is miles ahead of Cesc ever will be, regardless of all the stats you can throw. 

Morata can play in tight spaces and certainly has potential to improve his finishing (nevermind he already scored 20 in limited time, ending second best scorer at Real for current season). Lukaku's touch and control have improved alot since 3 years ago, but that doesnt say much, he was a donkey back then. Even today he is not as great under pressure. 

If we want to dominate opponents and if we ever want to play nice football on regular basis and push Eden to next level, we need skilled striker too. Outmuscling opponents is not working against top sides anymore. 

Did you not see @pHaRaOn's post earlier? Lukaku scores more against better teams than Morata so that argument is dead. Also quite ridiculous how you think we can't play nice football with Lukaku. I thought you hated the notion of totaalvoetbal and its likes, but now you're trying to use it to justify your argument? Can't have it both ways. You genuinely think Morata is the key to "dominating, nice football"? Really? You really need to stop making Morata sound like some prime Bergkamp, he's nowhere near as skilled. He's not that good in tight spaces, and it's nowhere near as important for a striker to be excellent in tight spaces compared to a midfielder. The Modric - Fabregas analogy is flawed in its premise. Just in case you missed it:

That top scorers list means nothing to me. Players around him ( except  Benteke) played for big clubs against proper defences. They can't be compared to Lukaku. Just because we aren't able to get a decent striker doesn't make Lukaku great. Because he isn't.

1 hour ago, BlueLyon said:

Just to reiterate, you think buying Morata will instantly help us become a better team and take Eden to the next level? Not the fact that the team has several weaknesses? You think all Lukaku has to his game is "outmuscling opponents"? 

28 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Did you not see @pHaRaOn's post earlier? Lukaku scores more against better teams than Morata so that argument is dead. Also quite ridiculous how you think we can't play nice football with Lukaku. I thought you hated the notion of totaalvoetbal and its likes, but now you're trying to use it to justify your argument? Can't have it both ways. You genuinely think Morata is the key to "dominating, nice football"? Really? You really need to stop making Morata sound like some prime Bergkamp, he's nowhere near as skilled. He's not that good in tight spaces, and it's nowhere near as important for a striker to be excellent in tight spaces compared to a midfielder. The Modric - Fabregas analogy is flawed in its premise. Just in case you missed it:

Its very important for striker to be good in tight space man. Just look at Suarez, Lewa, Aguero, heck even Benzema for that matter. It makes their teams alot more dangerous because striker there is not just some figure waiting for ball, but actively involved in whole attack. 

I didnt say striker has to be as good as midfielder obviously, but I was pointing out that stats mean very little and that quality on ball is more important, despite stats dont show it. Hence why Modric is much better than Cesc, despite racking like 10times less assists per season.

I saw those stats of Lukaku against big teams. And? I evaluate Lukaku based on number of games I saw. And he performed rather poor in most of games against top teams. Even if there was an odd goal, he was not involved in whole play. That is thanks to how poor Everton was as whole, but still. I dont think he can have as good game overall as Morata had against Bayern for example, due to his limitations on the ball, regardless of how improved.

Im not making Morata sound like Bergkamp, because I stated many times he has the flaws. But he has ability to become very good ball playing striker, cant say the same for Lukaku. 

If Im making Morata sound so great, you make Lukaku look like next Henry. 

Its all about the style. Lukaku is more robust and Morata is more elegant on the ball, I would like us to try different approach, if we are selling Diego, actualy get a striker that has better control than Diego.

What has totalvoetbal to do with this? Yes Im not a giant fan of CBs dribbling through midfield, keeping possesion for 90min and pass pass pass. Doesnt mean I dont like balanced attacking football which requires skilled players.

When Chelsea plays against teams, they close down and park the bus or press us very high. It means there wont be much space, and collective game will be very important. Lukaku thrives on space and counters, but not so much against packed defence. 

If we will play every big game defending and waiting on counter for next 5 years, then maybe Lukaku will turn into brilliant buy. But I would love slightly more attacking fluid football and here Morata fits the bill better.

Do you even understand Im not blowing Morata out of water thinking he is next Messi? No, but he is IMO the best option among strikers we seriously were linked with that being Lukaku and him. If I could I would get Lewa or Belotti, both are better choices, but its not happening. Therefore my pick would be Morata, a personal preference of his style of play.