Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

For those that preferred Diego over Lukaku, you have notion that we can't have the guarantee that Diego will perfoming performing like the first half of the last season, right? Maybe he goes to Atletico in January and we can receive a good mount of money that reduce the money that we will spend in Lukaku.

I like the attitude and mentaliy of Lukaku and he proved that he can score a lot of goals in premierleague. Its a important aspect.

No doubt he has the abilities to be one of the greatest strikers of the game. He's a quick and strong striker who has got that nose for goal. I also think that from the technical and strategic aspect he has developed a lot at Everton. I remember how glad I was when we signed him for the first time, but maybe the expectations were too high back then. He was just a boy with a good goal scoring record in the Belgian league, but was lacking aforementioned technical and strategic skills that are essential in the Premier League. Of course he's still young, but I think that he has proved himself at Everton. He can score goals in the PL and be a leading character in the team. At the age of 24, this is exceptional. Maybe he can do the same here as King Didier. :)

I had a feeling this move was going to happen even so far as a few months back.

The only thing for me, in terms of a negative, is that we will have to spend an extraordinary amount of money to bring him back here, to a place where he's a massive fan and wants to be. I don't get why we don't insist on a potential buy back clause. I know it's easier said than done but the short sightedness of the Chelsea transfer makers is kind of annoying at times. I know it shouldn't matter if Romelu ends up coming back and banging 20 goals next season, but I just hope when it comes to selling players lil Traore and Heaven forbid someone like Ake, we are a bit smarter.

I'm probably in the minority when I say that of the strikers AVAILABLE and WANT to come to the club, Lukaku is my number one option. He's premier league proven, still young, and the manager we have now is the sort who could turn him from occasional beast to an absolute destroyer, a la Drogba on his day.

I just hope we don't have to pay too much to bring back someone we already had.

why are we so positive that he has signed for us?

twist of tale what if he signed for City KDB went there and any footballer wuould love to work under Pep wouldnt they? United ( that would be ridiculous after what Mou did to him during his time at Chelsea)

10 minutes ago, bluephoenix said:

twist of tale what if he signed for City KDB went there and any footballer wuould love to work under Pep wouldnt they?

I don't think he really fits into Guardiola's system, but who knows.

After United's offer for Morata, I think it's quite clear that they won't get Lukaku.

5 hours ago, Mana said:

....you do know Costa was bullied plenty of times against average defenders right? Stop turning a blind eye on that. He was even bullied by Tortoise Mertesacker, who only played 1 PL game all season.

You criticise a 24 year old Lukaku, for the same things Costa has done or worse - yet you defend Costa with no bounds.

You even went on about Lukaku's average international record with Belgium during your discussions...have you seen Costa's?! Arguably worse! He can't even make the starting XI in tournaments and most of Costa's Spanish goals are against tiny clubs like Albania.

Every striker gets bullied sometimes. Costa proved himself in many big games, cant be said the same for Lukaku who just happens to be prone on dissapearing against better teams.

I dont defend Costa, which part here u dont get? Im willing to sell him because he is loose character and unreliable, but only if we get proper replacement.

However I dont like the fact people shit on Costa every day, since Costa doesnt deserve that crap he gets on forum, not after all he did for us.

I only mentioned Lukaku international career for one reason since some belive he will be instantly better around better players, which is not the case in belgium team. But yeah Costa is bad for spain too. 

Lukaku deal makes no sense whatsoever. His development since joining Everton has been exactly as expected when he left. A perfectly linear trajectory. He has always been like this, at Anderlecht, WBA or on his loan spell at Everton. Scoring multiple times against small sides and disappearing completely against the big ones. There is no way he justifies that fee and I am not confident at all that he will good enough to lead the line against top teams. Physically, he can dominate almost any defender in world football but a skilfull centre back will still nullify his presence completely. He was up  vs 1,68m Philip Lahm when we were 2-1 up in the UEFA Super Cup against Bayern. He was brought in for Torres to hold the line and keep high balls from. He could not even  win a throw in and produced nothing but turnovers. In the shootout he delivered one of the worst pens in history. He is still very much that player. 

Let me start this long post off by saying: "I do not want Lukaku, as much, nor do I rate him as big as some people do."

However, Lukaku has massively improved. I was one of the people who was slating him, because he really was frustrating. But, Koeman has worked on his technical aspects. I will lay out my arguments on why Lukaku would be able to replace Diego and why he wouldn't, so please bear with me, here:

- Diego isn't better than him technically - Diego is as frustrating as you can get, when off form. Dire passing, no dribbling ability, rarely manages to hold on to the ball, can't shield with his body, no aerial pressence. He offers NOTHING. Basically like playing with 10 men. Lukaku, while not being the second coming of Suarez, is still an okay player with the ball at his feet. He also has a good aerial presence on him, good headers. He can shield and bully defenders. He also has okay passing on him, can name quite a few times he has managed to create fast counter-attacks, make one - twos or just combine with a teammate in no - way Diego would.

- He is playing in an above average Everton - He has nobody, who can constantly come up with something out of nothing. Barkley, Mirallas, Lookman , etc. are all inconsistent in their performances. He doesn't have the service, which he could have here. Difference with Hazard/Pedro/ Cesc in behind him, who all offer something different for him to be able to pounce on.

- Big Games - Above point being the main factor. People want Lukaku to be a nuisance and conquer big games. How can he? Against Liverpool, against United, Everton couldn't create anything. The one time, everything was clicking for them, was vs. City, and Lukaku and Davies were the main culprits, and unsurprisingly they won 4 - 0. And let's be honest, has Diego really been THAT unreal in big games? Or any striker in the league, maybe bar Aguero(who has also missed tons of chances in those games, which is worse), for that matter? Diego was unreal vs City. PSG last year. Pretty much it. His goals vs. Liverpool, United were tap - ins. Not saying they aren't goals, but would Lukaku miss? He could, but would he really? Diego has also went missing in big games, let's not act like it isn't true.

- Age - He is still relatively young. Much work can be done with him. He can develop even more. And as recent interviews from him and team-mates/coaches have came out, he always likes to develop and up his game. Reason why his overall play is SO MUCH different to before.

- Goals - This year us becoming champions has just again cemented the fact that wins vs. small sides guarantee you Championships. And Lukaku does guarantee goals. Especially with an increased batch of service.

- HG - Counts for the HG quota. Which is why I think we're targeting mostly him

- Lack of WC forwards - Belotti's amazing, but will cost even more perhaps. Icardi won't leave. Who else is out there?

Things that put me off the move:

Technicality -  What if, this his ceilling from a technical point of view? I doubt it, but what if? He will be a 50/50 player, who will create some and ruin some. Not much of an upgrade to Diego. Just a small one.

Lack of experience - He's yet to lead a line as big as Chelsea's. All props to Everton, but the expectations aren't as big as with us. He has to guarantee goals and creativity in order to be our new no. 9. And do it on a consistent basis for it to be the right choice and to please fans. Especially the ones who will be on his back, because of the fact they do not rate him. Plus, he's never really played in the CL. The only time he's been leading a line from the top level is Belgium, and he is hit and miss there, BUT there is the problem with Wilmots and the fact the whole Belgium squad is still hot and cold, despite all the potential.

Price tag - Yes, I know the inflation of prices. I realize he won't cost 30 mil. given the fact he's bagged 20 + goals on a regular basis, but in no way should he cost more than 50. Won't renew. Wants to leave. Should lower the price. We can't force ourselves to overpay for him. Would rather watch Alexis at the 9, if we get him, or just throw the money at Icardi and try for him.

Can argue about all of the Pros for hours, tbf,  so yeah.

17 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Lukaku deal makes no sense whatsoever. His development since joining Everton has been exactly as expected when he left. A perfectly linear trajectory. He has always been like this, at boro, WBA or on his loan spell at Everton. Scoring multiple times against small sides and disappearing completely against the big ones. There is no way he justifies that fee and I am not confident at all that he will good enough to lead the line against top teams. Physically, he can dominate almost any defender in world football but a skilfull centre back will still nullify his presence completely. He was up 1,68m Philip Lahm when we were 2-1 up in the UEFA Super Cup against Bayern. He was brought in for Torres to hold the line and keep high balls from. He could not even  win a throw in and produced nothing but turnovers. In the shootout he delivered one of the worst pens in history. He is still very much that player. 

He's never played for Boro.

38 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Lukaku deal makes no sense whatsoever. His development since joining Everton has been exactly as expected when he left. A perfectly linear trajectory. He has always been like this, at boro, WBA or on his loan spell at Everton. Scoring multiple times against small sides and disappearing completely against the big ones. There is no way he justifies that fee and I am not confident at all that he will good enough to lead the line against top teams. Physically, he can dominate almost any defender in world football but a skilfull centre back will still nullify his presence completely. He was up 1,68m Philip Lahm when we were 2-1 up in the UEFA Super Cup against Bayern. He was brought in for Torres to hold the line and keep high balls from. He could not even  win a throw in and produced nothing but turnovers. In the shootout he delivered one of the worst pens in history. He is still very much that player. 

So you're saying Lukaku is still the same player from about 3/4 years ago and that his game hasn't matured at all essentially? People do the most when it comes to Romelu. All this hate is incredibly irrational imo. 

It sounds more rational, level headed & reasonable to imply Lukaku's improved.

But no, he hasn't. His finishing's the same, his physical ability is actually not as good as it was before in terms of strength, perhaps marginally better stamina-wise, but that'd go to dust the moment he's playing in 2 top competitions. 

He was so highly touted at 17 because unlike most, he was already at his best. Numbers and age aren't magical; you don't have to be 25 or 28 to be in your prime. He was already the player he was, and that's the player he still is; his traits, strengths and weaknesses are going nowhere, up or down, if he joins us. What you see is what you get.

He's had 4 years to improve but hasn't improved his - heading ability, agility, work rate...and now ball control, I have to say he's improved that, but Matic is still superior. He hasn't improved his range of shots, he hasn't improved his ability to win the ball off defenders (that trait has gone down), I could go on about all that he was at 17 which he still is now, or isn't even now, which isn't good. Before he was raw and special. That boat has sailed. He's typical now, and we've all seen stories like his before. B- class players.

He isn't 20% more of what he was before, & he's about to be sold for genuinely, 5 times his value, compared to his peers. At least Morata has experience in Europe; you know, something actually measurable to say, this player is worth more than others. But Lukaku hasn't done shit compared to his peers :lol:Benteke, Vardy, Defoe & more have all ripped through the scoring charts themselves, and that's the only thing he's ever done. Never steamrolled a big team, never offered inspiring defense a la Drogba, who he's supposedly supposed to emulate. He's never dribbled past 2 players to release a progressive pass, or got to the 70th minute without panting his eyes out. And that's with him standing around, not running, for 20 minutes per game already. 50 minutes knackers him :lol:, because he's a bodybuilder in an athlete's sport. In fact barely anyone in the Premier League can pass for a top footballer now, so that's no diss to Lukaku. All a bunch of just muscled up or toned up freaks w/ no dedication to fulfilling their potential in the sport. Weaklings compared to what we know. Simply dumb compared to the athletes in every other football league in Europe, where every other striker we've been looking at, currently is.

Buy the player who's good every season, not the player who's good 45% of the time solely because he plays in a league more about pushing eachother over than kicking the ball, which can't translate into European games.