Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

There isn't enough evidence for that. Ian Wright explains excellently here why Lukaku doesn't score much against big teams (starts at 14:30):
Now, what I would like to see from you is all these big chances that Romelu misses against big teams, when he rarely gets the opportunities to score in these games. I've seen a recurring theme from Everton in big games - they sit back far too much and literally take no initiative in the game. Their record against the top 6 is poor this season, and you can quite easily see why Romelu struggles there. 

I don't remember Everton sitting back under Martinez and the story was still the same. I just can't see any positives in the prospect of him rejoining. Him being a younger Costa in my eyes isn't appealing.

Belotti's basket is where we should be putting all eggs in.

9 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Juventus wanted to keep Morata, Madrid exercised their buy back clause. Stop lying.

They then went and bought Higuain for 70m when they could've just negotiated a fee with Real... That's basically why they bought him back.

10 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I don't remember Everton sitting back under Martinez and the story was still the same. I just can't see any positives in the prospect of him rejoining. Him being a younger Costa in my eyes isn't appealing.

Belotti's basket is where we should be putting all eggs in.

Eh... Everton didn't sit back as much under Martinez but they weren't exactly better than what they are now. You do realise the guy is still young right? People are acting like he's in the prime of his career and has failed to score in important games. Everton are much better now under Koeman overall than they are under Martinez too - their squad is much better and way more mature than what Martinez was dealing with... Also Koeman is just a better manager. Their big game approach this season is very defensive though - which is what I was highlighting. But whatever, it's your opinion. I wouldn't mind Belotti either fyi.

You think the club should pay Belotti's release club?

23 minutes ago, LAM09 said:

I'd say Belotti COULD be that in terms of what's attainable. The majority of us here have seen Lukaku on a weekly basis to know he isn't really an upgrade on what we have. Need to put the age factor away, as he isn't an 18 yr old we'll be signing.

I wouldn't mind Belotti, he's def an interesting choice. He does have a smaller sample size to Lukaku though... Would be hard to spring big bucks for a guy who's had essentially one great season.

4 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

I think @Chelsea Legend 11 is talking about right now, not the past. I highlighted this earlier - why aren't the likes of PSG, United, City, Arsenal truly after Morata? Why is he going to AC Milan if he's so in demand and a top striker? Why are Chelsea and United more interested in Lukaku if Morata was the one we should be all looking at?

Eh... Everton didn't sit back as much under Martinez but they weren't exactly better than what they are now. You do realise the guy is still young right? People are acting like he's in the prime of his career and has failed to score in important games. Everton are much better now under Koeman overall than they are under Martinez too - their squad is much better and way more mature than what Martinez was dealing with... Also Koeman is just a better manager. Their big game approach this season is very defensive though - which is what I was highlighting. But whatever, it's your opinion. 
You think the club should pay Belotti's release club?

I said a younger Costa doesn't excite me and we have no clue what's to come from him.

I'm sure we could get Belotti for a similar fee to Lukaku. Our club love to haggle after all.

why does it have to be the next best thing instead of the hundreds of strikers who'd easily get 20 goals a season but cost 10m since they're 29 and don't have marketing power?

why would you ignore all the brilliant players who simply don't have the star names?

nobody who studies this game and its players seriously, dismisses them. i'm talking players who do *everything right consistently*, not these hot and cold players who only do 1 thing to an extreme. maybe football's just changing in other ways other than money too. the fans.

2 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

I think @Chelsea Legend 11 is talking about right now, not the past. I highlighted this earlier - why aren't the likes of PSG, United, City, Arsenal truly after Morata? Why is he going to AC Milan if he's so in demand and a top striker? Why are Chelsea and United more interested in Lukaku if Morata was the one we should be all looking at?

Even when they bought him back it was only because Real knew they could get more for him than it would cost to buy him back. Easy transaction... The fact Juve have yet to show any interest in him is quite telling to me though

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

I said a younger Costa doesn't excite me and we have no clue what's to come from him.

I'm sure we could get Belotti for a similar fee to Lukaku. Our club love to haggle after all.

Why do you think Belotti is better than Lukaku btw? Why is he? What does he do better? I want to hear some opinions on this. I wouldn't mind the club signing Belotti btw.

I wouldn't mind Belotti, he's def an interesting choice. He does have a smaller sample size to Lukaku though... Would be hard to spring big bucks for a guy who's had essentially one great season.

He just seems to have all the tools to become a great CF for us.

2 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

They then went and bought Higuain for 70m when they could've just negotiated a fee with Real... That's basically why they bought him back.

No, Morata also wanted to go back to Madrid. 

20 minutes ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

SO let me get this straight, is Lukaku a powerful striker in your mind or not?

Yes I want my striker to be a goalscorer first. That is the MOST important part of a strikers make up... GOALSCORING.

And you think that guy is Morata??? Based on what exactly?

You have no way of knowing what Lukaku can be in our system, if he can score 25 for Everton there's no reason to believe he can't replicate that at Chelsea for years to come. Even with his limitations he's scoring boatloads of goals because he has that strikers mentality; he's always where he needs to be to score. Special gift.

We're still talking about Morata, right? Not Messi. Morata makes the ball stick, but he doesn't really dribble past anyone or use slick movement to beat men. For is ENTIRE career he's averaged less than 0.8 dribble a game(On par with Defoe and Benteke). For as terrible as Lukaku is technically, he averages 1.2 dribbles a game for his career and just last season was at 1.7. Morata is probably better at keeping the ball but where is the hard evidence that he is better using it? Lukaku had 1.3 key passes a game this season...Dele Alli and Kane both had 1.4 Costa 1.2.... Morata 0.7 PLAYING FOR REAL MADRID!

I think how you work is based on the assignment you're given in a specific system.

Yes, strikers can improve especially in teams like Juventus and Madrid. Don't you find it odd that we are aspiring to emulate those teams and they don't want Morata? 

I don't know who Conte or the board prefer and to be quite frank I'm willing to go with whoever they deem is a better fit for us, I just get worked up when you shit on a guy who's scored 85 goals already just because he can't link play yet. If there is anything I've seen is Lukaku is an extremely hard worker who comes back every season better than the one before, can you say the same about Morata given what you've seen? 

I respect your opinion, but when you start pointing out stats of how much Morata or Lukaku dribble, Im not sure what to think of that. Morata is miles better in ball control. Dribbling doesnt mean anything if there is no context. Watching both players in games gives you context. For example Adama Traore has most dribbles of all players, but he is average player at best. 

Same for chances created. Its clear as day Morata has better vision and pass even if stats dont show it.

Then you say Lukaku is extreme hardworker and question the same for Morata...

Lukaku is not half the worker Morata is. Perhaps you have Madrid Morata on mind where he indeed doesnt have extensive need of tracking back (unlike he did in juve), because Real is much more free flowing team and Morata is main striker there unlike in juve when he was partnered up front, but even then he is still very hardworking. 

I think Lukaku has football style of powerful striker (obviously given his size), but he doesnt use it to max potential. One thing is to bully smaller sides, something else to bully top sides which he hasnt yet. 

Just wondering would you prefer Inzaghi over Drogba? Man, even for strikers, goals are not everything. 

Both Lukaku and Morata are good strikers, you fancy one, I fancy the other, based on their styles and mentality. 

We will see how things end up at Chelsea and hopefuly it works for us whoever it is, because thats most important.

Just now, Clockwork said:

No, Morata also wanted to go back to Madrid. 

The main reason Real bought Morata was because they want to make cash from him. He was never part of the long term project there. Doesn't matter if Morata wanted to go back or not, clearly not wanted there.

Why do you think Belotti is better than Lukaku btw? Why is he? What does he do better? I want to hear some opinions on this. I wouldn't mind the club signing Belotti btw.

He has that tenacious attitude like Costa, always gives his all on the pitch, better finisher and his link up play is quite good too.

I just see him being the ideal CF to lead a Conte team and he probably would have done so with the NT, had Conte still been at the helm.

6 minutes ago, The Skipper said:

Morata is going to Milan? Seems like he definitely said he will not play in Italy next season, heavily linked United. 

I get your and others preference for Lukaku, but this is not a good argument against Morata.

it appears Morata and Lukaku are getting similar interests.