Romelu Lukaku

Jose M

He was given a lot of stick for filling in Wilkins' role, who somehow became the reason behind our double in the eyes of some people and later got vilified for being named our Director of Football, a fact which somehow made him the next Avraam Grant.

Basically it was a bunch of unqualified people slating someone for "being unqualified".

Exactly. There was no basis to all the hate he received things like "sack Emenalo" always came up in threads dedicated to 'solutions' and whatnot -_-

Didn't he arrive with Grant? I think people were so pissed off at firing Mourinho and his staff, that they hated anyone replacing them... and looking at Grant's face, it was easy not to like anyone who arrived with him and call them incompetent.

I know I posted this in the match forum, but I would post it on this forum to give an indication of what type of play is.

To the people who want Lukaku to start, he will be like Tores. He wil be forced to go wide or into the midfield just to get a sniff of the ball. Whenever he is on the shoulder of defenders he will never get a chace. And if he wants a chances, like Torres, he will have to start from the wide areas and hope he gets lucky when he dribbles in.

Thats not becuase he lacks confidence or is shit. Its becuase our team lacks so much creatvitiy and plays so slow that you might aswell not bother putting on a striker. Look at the goals he scored for Anderlecht, most came from a quality pass or cross for him to feed on.

Only 13 minutes, but he was SO class. His touch was great, finally. In two years, this guy will be called Jesus by the same fans that are calling him a waste of money today.

I wouldn't call his sub class. He was okay, due to the circumstances. His long run was superb, but other than that he barely got a touch of the ball. Which isn't his fault entirely. He was asking for the ball constantly.

That's the thing Lukaku did show a lot of determination. A certain need, passion to get the team the win. I didn't feel that from other players. He's not ready to start, he needs subs like this. I thank AVB for that. He doesn't need subs like the last couple of games were he had 0 to 90 seconds of playtime. Give him 15 to 20 minutes every game and he will become better and better.

I look forward to the day in which he becomes our main striker. That run when he came on was class, something Torres hasn't done in ages. Torres attempts to dribble past one defender and if successful, the ball somehow gets stuck in between his feet, tumbles, and passes it back.

For those of you who want a little preview of what is awaiting us in the next few months :D

and for those pessimists who think Lukaku cannot score goals: 43 goals in 2 seasons for RSC Anderlecht (league + euro league) & the Belgium National Squad => at age 16 & 17 :blink: !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxWe4JhSsck&feature=fvsr

That run he made...like a tornado! Unstoppable fast blackman as KSI would say :D

Love him :blush:

But yeah...being a striker at Chelsea....one of the harder things in football...

And the hardest thing is being Chelsea Manager! =)

Unless we go 4-4-2 i can't really see him getting too much of a chance in the not so distant future. I'd love us to go 4-4-2 for once.

I like to go one further w/ your idea & play a 431[Mata]2. We are not using Mata to his full potential by playing him on a flank. Also Mata is two-footed. I think that would aid the attack immensely.

i like 4-3-1-2 but lacks a bit of width and i know we cant cross a ball anyway but taking width away is taking away many scoring options. Must admit though, we have the players for 4-3-1-2 and certainly not for what we're doing now. We don't have a natural wide man in the squad really. Can't hurt to give it a go.

Is it me or has he looked a lot sharper in his subsitute displays lately? one thing AVB has got spot on was leaving him in the reserves for a bit after his tough start.

Maybe when DD11 returns we should just put those 2 up front with Mata in behind them, what could go wrong that hasnt already?

How did he play?

Because i didn't have the chance to watch.

He only played for about 10mins and didn't get the ball much but he made one good movement where he took the ball past a defender and got a decent-albeit-feeble shot on target. Which was more than what our #9 managed in the entire game.