Oriol Romeu

termninja

Dafuq? What new arrivals? As far as I know we didn't buy any defensive midfielders this summer and in fact we let one of those few existing ones leave. Great journalism that one. :lol:

Class jounalism! God knows where they get them.

If the article is true or not remains to be seen. RDM can't be that stupid, surely!

I agree that he hasn't quite played enough and is still too young to make final decisions about, but I get what Cap and others are saying. People act like there's some sort of conspiracy theory as to why Romeu isn't playing or something rather than just the fact that Mikel is better than he is. I watched pretty much every game last year and Romeu was good but he was hardly outstanding and people are acting like he was brilliant and he simply wasn't. (BTW It's a general rule of thumb on internet boards though-young players get overrated about 200% and older players underrated by the same margin. People are always in love with theoretical potential and watch games to prove it.)

@thebigDrog-Barcelona couldn't have rated Romeu too highly if they were willing to let him go for only 4M pounds.

Their resources are so great and they have such a wealth of talent that they dont mind letting players go, if they do come good they ensure that they have a buy back clause in the contract (such as with Bojan). I'm not saying he was the standout young player at Barcelona but he did get an appearance for the first team (an achievement in itself) and he is clearly in tune with the Barcelona way.

I agree that he hasn't quite played enough and is still too young to make final decisions about, but I get what Cap and others are saying. People act like there's some sort of conspiracy theory as to why Romeu isn't playing or something rather than just the fact that Mikel is better than he is. I watched pretty much every game last year and Romeu was good but he was hardly outstanding and people are acting like he was brilliant and he simply wasn't. (BTW It's a general rule of thumb on internet boards though-young players get overrated about 200% and older players underrated by the same margin. People are always in love with theoretical potential and watch games to prove it.)

@thebigDrog-Barcelona couldn't have rated Romeu too highly if they were willing to let him go for only 4M pounds.

You seem to have fully convinced yourself with this one. I don't understand the vastly exaggerated perception you have that people act like Romeu's a truly amazing player. Everyone knows that's not the case, he will only get better through experience, which he isn't getting at the moment. He did well in the majority of games he played in last season, enough to leave an impression that he could be a very good player in time. There's no conspiracy running through people's minds as you are suggesting, some would just like to see him given more of an opportunity.

The ACON is coming around this January if I'm not mistaken, so maybe that will be his time to put a marker down.

You seem to have fully convinced yourself with this one. I don't understand the vastly exaggerated perception you have that people act like Romeu's a truly amazing player. Everyone knows that's not the case, he will only get better through experience, which he isn't getting at the moment. He did well in the majority of games he played in last season, enough to leave an impression that he could be a very good player in time. There's no conspiracy running through people's minds as you are suggesting, some would just like to see him given more of an opportunity.

The ACON is coming around this January if I'm not mistaken, so maybe that will be his time to put a marker down.

Look at this very page. Someone compared him to Makalele. I have seen many many people write things like "Romeu looked fabulous last season". I've seen people praise every aspect of his game. I'm not making up or exaggerating what many people are saying about him. You can also see multiple mentions of us hiding him from Barcelona. Not making that up either.

Look at this very page. Someone compared him to Makalele. I have seen many many people write things like "Romeu looked fabulous last season". I've seen people praise every aspect of his game. I'm not making up or exaggerating what many people are saying about him. You can also see multiple mentions of us hiding him from Barcelona. Not making that up either.

Go back and read the last 5 pages of this thread. You'll find only a couple of people going OTT with praise, including the 'hiding from Barca' comment. If anything the majority share the opinion that he isn't yet ready for the first team, but needs to be given a fair run in the team to improve.

I think by the sale of Raul and the loan out of Essien, RDM is putting faith in Oriol. Or atleast giving him this season to prove himself because he will get game time in that double pivot at some point this season.

EDIT: rumours from the Bolton forums and websites claiming they think Bolton are close to signing Oriol on loan....

And Yahoo reporting Valnecia are interested in him.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel for this guy. His pre-season was limited to playing in the Olympics, he hasn't played for us in ages. Then, when he finally does, he will be far from match fitness, lacks understanding with the team and feels like an outsider. It's very possible that he will have a shocker due to all this, fall down even further in the picking order and fans will turn against him. Yet when he came, he was regarded as a super talent and he even demonstrated it.

I guess he will get his chances when Mikel goes to AFCON, but even then we might play Luiz there according to Newton. It's not even certain he will be here after January, clubs are storming after him and rightly so, we are doing very little to keep him. He will probably end up at Spurs with AVB.

Why I do always get beaten when it comes to posting videos?!! And it's always just by a matter of seconds!! :rant:

And that felt like a rather awkward scene between those 2 in the video. :lol:

Hahahah this is happens to me all the time but i was faster for this one :D