Oriol Romeu

termninja

I'm surprised that he took the penlaty.

Wasn't up to Lampard's standards but it was a decent penalty. Definitely a better penalty taker than Mata.

As I said in the match thread: I had forgotten how good Romeu is. His ability to find the right pass with only one touch is really something. For someone who has been out of the side for ages, that was an excellent performance.

Wasn't up to Lampard's standards but it was a decent penalty. Definitely a better penalty taker than Mata.

From what I saw in the highlights, it was a good penalty and looks rather similar to Lampard's type of penalties but the ball did seem to take ages to hit the back of the net!

From what I saw in the highlights, it was a good penalty and looks rather similar to Lampard's type of penalties but the ball did seem to take ages to hit the back of the net!

Yeah not enough power behind it to beat the keeper if he guesses right imo, but the technique is there.

Never understood why he was benched in the first place. He has much better movement than Mikel. I never saw Romeu make misplaced passes whenever this guy plays he keeps possesion and he is a very good tackler too he should start for us imo.

I totally agree that it should be a no brainer. It just seems that there is this psychological comfort the EPL coaches get from having at least one "big dude" in the center of the park. I don't know

Romeu really impressed me last night! His range of passing and confidence on and off the ball really does make you question mikels selection!!! Hit a few quality 30-40 yard cross field passes Gerard esque! Very impressive would love to see him and Ramires start against arsenal!

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently a clause in his contract allows him to leave for Barcelona next summer so he is being kept under wraps maybe so they are not convinced into taking him back. If true, quite a smart move then considering how impressive he was for us. Then after that clause is finished we can totally focus on developing him without the pressure of Barca trying to get him back

Apparently a clause in his contract allows him to leave for Barcelona next summer so he is being kept under wraps maybe so they are not convinced into taking him back. If true, quite a smart move then considering how impressive he was for us. Then after that clause is finished we can totally focus on developing him without the pressure of Barca trying to get him back

I don't believe this for a second. Romeu is not playing because RDM prefers Mikel. That's it. There's no conspiracy theory. Barcelona had Romeu for years. It's not like they don't know him as a player and the idea that a team that the Chelsea are playing a lesser line-up because they scared of losing Romeu is insane.

He should probably start to get more playing time now before he is completely thrown into the fire when Mikel leaves for the African cup of nations in January.

Doesnt mean Mikel should be thrown out to test him. Maybe in cup games but PL no because Mikel is a starter there and I think he does his role brilliantly. Hopefully Romeu can step up in his absence though