Oriol Romeu

termninja

• 4 weeks later...

Other than Mikel, I don't think we have a player who splits opinion as much as Romeu does. Some say he's destined to be world class, others think he's mediocre. And to be honest, he's shown hints of both in his time here. He's not close to Mikel right now in my mind, but is solid cover for that position. He seems pretty committed to the club at least in the short-term too, so I'd like to see him get a few chances to impress from RDM.

Other than Mikel, I don't think we have a player who splits opinion as much as Romeu does. Some say he's destined to be world class, others think he's mediocre. And to be honest, he's shown hints of both in his time here. He's not close to Mikel right now in my mind, but is solid cover for that position. He seems pretty committed to the club at least in the short-term too, so I'd like to see him get a few chances to impress from RDM.

Not sure we can compare Oriol with Mikel. The two are like complete opposites. Mikel operates best in zonal marking and slow tempo while Oriol applies high pressure and quick short passing tempo.

Not sure we can compare Oriol with Mikel. The two are like complete opposites. Mikel operates best in zonal marking and slow tempo while Oriol applies high pressure and quick short passing tempo.

Despite their differences, most agree it's one or the other in the first team.

Hence why we should use Romeu and stop using Obi when planning to attack and increase the tempo .

I am agree with this.

Since the second year of Ancelotti era, we have been found out. Teams know our weakness. They know we lack creativity and speed. They know we are prone to defensive mistakes. As a matter of fact, they know that to park the bus and counter attack us is a pretty good way to get a result from an encounter against us.

In order to prevent this, and unlock those defenses, we need to have a high tempo. We need to make quick passes. And this, from the defenders to the forwards.

That's the reason why I believe we should play Romeu as our defensive midfielder. The spaniard doesn't sleep on the ball. He makes simple short pass, and delivers the ball after no more than one or two touches. Furthermore, he is the kind of guy who chases the ball, who is good to put a high pressure. This aspect of the game will be important when we will face those teams.

Although I agree, I must say that I thought we always looked more vulnerable when Oriol is playing. The reasons imo are first that Oriol lacks experience, and second, the rest of our team does not press the way Oriol does. High pressure is either a lethal weapon when done well by all the team or a disaster if even just one player doesn't press.

he has great upside and would have been perfect dm in our new look squad... too bad he has barca blood, i honeslty forgot about that.

if he goes back to Barca you can put a pencil through his eye like the joker. :Goober:

Cant we all just wait until the season starts and let both Mikel and Romeu get some games. Then we can decide who should be our man. Personaly i dont think Mikel has been bad and i wouldnt mind having him as our DM but if Romeu can prove that he is better than Mikel, then he is our man.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it wth Barca about to sign Alex Song, Romeu will be a Chelsea player at least for this season. If so, I really hope Di Matteo will give him a chance in the double pivot. He certainly better then Lampard or Essien in there.

I take it wth Barca about to sign Alex Song, Romeu will be a Chlsea player at least for this season. If so, I really hope Di Matteo will give him a chance in the double pivot. He certainly better then Lampard or Essien in there.

On paper Romeu and Ramires in the double pivot looks good to me! especially if we are going to play the pressing game which is what i think we need to do, a front four of Torres, Mata, Hazard and Oscar can all press the ball high up the pitch and then with the two behind them being Ramires and Romeu who both can close players down quick i think it could be the way forward for us. Whether RDM will get us to press the ball remains to be seen but thats what i would like to see.