Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

He's really turning me off with the comments he's been making. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a right to demand the no. 1 spot here, but to me the way he and his father are going about it, it almost sounds like they're holding us to an ultimatum. If Courtois wants to come here and immediately be handed over the starting spot, then I say let the kid walk. This is one of the top clubs in the world and the way he and his father are acting, it's almost as if they think they're doing us a favour.

I understand that he's right up there among the best, but would he even be in that position if it weren't for Chelsea?

In any case, I think this is a different situation from Cudicini. For starters Cech has built rapport with Mourinho and I think Jose has too much respect for him to just drop him like that. Courtois will surely get his chance but it needs to be done in way that's respectful to Cech and that might mean him spending some time on the bench while Cech is gently phased out. If that's such an unbearable thought to Courtois, then let the kid go and collect a hefty fee for him. We can't miss something that we never had.

I agree with some of what you're saying. He shouldn't be giving anyone an ultimatum, because when it's comes down to it he is a Chelsea FC employee.

Then again, Athletico Madrid is an elite club as well, they're in the final 16 of UEFA, 1st in La Liga, and won the Euro Cup/Copa Del Rey last year. Cortouis been there for all of that. If he comes to Chelsea, Cech needs to go, or accept playing only in FA Cup/Capital One Cup games. It's hard to get a top notch keeper and one so young is almost unheard of.

I love Cech and understand he's still ome of the top 5 best GK's in the world, but Cortouis is younger and comparable but not near his prime. It's a tough decision but plenty if teams would pay giid money for Cech. I'm glad I'm not Mourinho.

How many of those goalkeepers had bad elbows and knees ?

IF it comes down to selling Cech or selling Courtois the choice is a pretty clear one.

Nothing to do with Courtois, I'm just asking how a lot of people seem sure that Petr will only play at the top level till he is 32 or 33 and not till he's 38 for example.

Another thing that people say that perplexes me is that the choice is pretty clear. We've had pages and pages of debate about the matter this season. It's obviously not an easy or clear choice.

Howard is a fair shout but the others are a shadow of what they were.

Jaaskelinen has been rubbish for a while Coyle dropped him for Bogdan and Big Sam has done the same bringing in that little shit Adrian in his place. A prime Jussi in 2007 was argubly the best in the PL aside from Petr and VDS.

Friedel lost a lot off mobility in recent years, Spurs fans main complaint about him is he doesn't command his box and has slow reactions, neither off those was a problem in his Blackburn days and Mark is still good but a shadow off his Boro days imo.

For me, Friedel played some of his best football at the start of last season and end of the previous one. Mark is 41 and is practically playing at the same level he has always played. Fair enough about Jaaskelainen, but even if we agree that his peak was in 2007, he was 32 back then.

And that's not to mention great keepers outside the EPL like Weidenfeller and Buffon. Even Kahn, for me the best keeper of all time, played till he was 39 IIRC.

Oh yea, lets let go of the future to hold on to the past :rolleyes:

Cech has a year maybe two as a top GK IMO (and he's not really in his prime anymore).

Courtois is the future, already arguably on Cech's level (only thing cech has over him is experience).

I get that people want to see Cech here, I do aswell. But sometimes hard decisions need to be made for the future.

Only thing over Cech is experience? That's the absolute number one thing for goalkeepers. Courtois isn't on Cech's level, be realistic. Goalkeepers also have longer top-level careers, Cech is far from finished, good 4-5 years at the very top level left atleast. What makes Courtois better - just because he has played 3 seasons at Atletico and has had 2 good seasons in his whole career? Cech's been at it for over 10 years and is surely one of the top keepers in this game. Show more respect, just think of the Champions League campaign few years back.

I swear people go along with media hype sometimes. Headline says "Courtois world class" (he's a great goalkeeper, don't misunderstand me) and some people automatically see him as the actual world number one and discard anyone else who has been constantly performing thus not making it to the front pages for one or two brilliant matches. By your logic Courtois is better than Buffon aswell? Christ... Like a kid in toy shop where new "generation" of that toy comes out in a new and exciting flashy package - it's automatically better than the "old" one.

You got one thing right - Courtois is the FUTURE.

He's really turning me off with the comments he's been making. I'm not saying that he doesn't have a right to demand the no. 1 spot here, but to me the way he and his father are going about it, it almost sounds like they're holding us to an ultimatum. If Courtois wants to come here and immediately be handed over the starting spot, then I say let the kid walk. This is one of the top clubs in the world and the way he and his father are acting, it's almost as if they think they're doing us a favour.

I understand that he's right up there among the best, but would he even be in that position if it weren't for Chelsea?

In any case, I think this is a different situation from Cudicini. For starters Cech has built rapport with Mourinho and I think Jose has too much respect for him to just drop him like that. Courtois will surely get his chance (if he comes) but it needs to be done in way that's respectful to Cech and that might mean him spending some time on the bench while Cech is gently phased out. If that's such an unbearable thought to Courtois, then let the kid go and collect a hefty fee for him. We can't miss something that we never had.

The thing is you're only looking out for the interest of Chelsea and Cech and completely ignoring Courtois his interest. Courtois and his father just want what's best for his career. That means playing.

You basically want him to come here and play second fiddle to Cech while we slowly faze him out ? And your upset that he's not taking that deal out of some sense of gratitude for loaning him out to Atletico ? :carlo:

What you want simply isn't possible you've got 2 Goalkeepers who are good enough to be our nr1. We need to choose one and let the other one go. I'd prefer choosing the one with the most years left to give.

Why wouldn't he be? Atletico were intereted in buying him on a permanent transfer from Genk but we beat them to it. Had they gotten him first, he'd be exactly where he is now or alternatively he'd already have been bought by Barcelona.

He's never spent a day in his life training at Cobham with the Chelsea staff, let alone playing a game for the club, so how on earth can Chelsea take credit for his development?

Cech will be 32 before next season. While he could without a doubt go on for at least another three or four years, maybe even a couple more if he's lucky, he's still not one for the long term and when players near the 35 year mark their decline can be fast. Courtois is ten years younger and already one of the best goalies in the world so why take a significant risk on something Cech might be able to do for around 6-7 years maximum when we already have Courtois who will definitely be able to do the same, if not even more, for around 15 years?

It's not even a question of money either. Some argue that Courtois should be sold because he will command a massive fee which could then be spent elsewhere but that's a shortsighted way of looking at it. Sure we could sell Courtois now for £20m and stick with Cech for another few years but what then, spend the same Courtois money on some up-and-comer who might not even be anywhere near the level of Thibaut? Selling Cech for around £8-10m sounds a much better option to me. I'm sure I speak for everyone around here when I say we all love Cech but if we threw sentimentality out the window it's a no-brainer really.

Because getting rid of Petr and bringing Thibaut is also a significant risk. No doubt, Courtois is performing at the level of top 7-8 if not even top 5 keepers in the world, but the fact that he's doing at another team and in a different league all together means that there is a risk of him not being able to replicate that here at Chelsea or take a season or two to adjust. Selling Cech before making sure that Thibaut can play better or at least as well as him at Chelsea is a risk.

For me, ideally, I'd have Thibaut here next season to fight for a first place with Petr. But every time I suggest that, I get told that it is physically impossible, immoral, against human nature...etc. But like I said, I'm fine with whatever Jose decides.

PS: 4-5 years is long-term in football!

Nothing to do with Courtois, I'm just asking how a lot of people seem sure that Petr will only play at the top level till he is 32 or 33 and not till he's 38 for example.

Another thing that people say that perplexes me is that the choice is pretty clear. We've had pages and pages of debate about the matter this season. It's obviously not an easy or clear choice.

I know but my last sentence was more a general conclusion and wasn't really meant specifically for you. (Should have been more clear, my bad)

Honestly, when you logically think about it the choice IS clear. A top quality 31 y old goalkeeper or a top quality 21 y old goalkeeper.

However people's opinions are, understandably, being clouded by sentiment.

Cech has been an important part of our success in the last 10 years. So it makes sense for people to have difficulties with this.

Because getting rid of Petr and bringing Thibaut is also a significant risk. No doubt, Courtois is performing at the level of top 7-8 if not even top 5 keepers in the world, but the fact that he's doing at another team and in a different league all together means that there is a risk of him not being able to replicate that here at Chelsea or take a season or two to adjust. Selling Cech before making sure that Thibaut can play better or at least as well as him at Chelsea is a risk.

For me, ideally, I'd have Thibaut here next season to fight for a first place with Petr. But every time I suggest that, I get told that it is physically impossible, immoral, against human nature...etc. But like I said, I'm fine with whatever Jose decides.

PS: 4-5 years is long-term in football!

Fair enough. Ideally Cech would stay for another year as backup to make sure Courtois is up to it while also serving as a mentor the youngster but then again, having a keeper as good as Cech as a backup would put even more pressure on Courtois because with every mistake there would be certain people (especially in the media) eating him alive by calling for his head and questioning why Cech isn't playing. If there's one manager who could make it work having two keepers that good it's Jose, so let's wait and see what happens.

PS: 15 years is longer-term. :P

Tell him he will deffo get 20 odd games plus maybe injuries or suspensions and then who is in form also,but surley he has to respect cfc and cech if he dosnt sell him for 30+mill plus add ons.respect the shirt respect the club .

Cech is like a good wine.

majority of you see Thibaut saves from gifs and forget to make gifs of Petr's moments of brilliance. the most underrated player in our '12 CL campaign. still the very top in the goalkeeping world.

i will leave this here.

ig9DlO5FOPhjs.gif

i2IccYRViMlLk.gif

Why wouldn't he be? Atletico were intereted in buying him on a permanent transfer from Genk but we beat them to it. Had they gotten him first, he'd be exactly where he is now or alternatively he'd already have been bought by Barcelona.

He's never spent a day in his life training at Cobham with the Chelsea staff, let alone playing a game for the club, so how on earth can Chelsea take credit for his development?

That's true. I remember there were rumours about them being interested him to replace De Gea but I didn't think a bid was actually made for him? And what I mean is that I think Chelsea has been very accommodating of him. Not just in allowing him to play in the super cup but they very well could have brought him back this season but were mindful of his wishes to play regularly in a world cup season. While they can't take credit for his development, I think they've done everything they can to put him on the right trajectory.

Anyway the club has made their proposal to Courtois. Regardless, of how talented he is, I don't think they should allow themselves to be held to ransom. Why should they be rushed into doing something they're not prepared to do? Just for the fear of losing out on a top goalkeeper? When, they think the time is right to move Cech on, they will. If Courtois isn't prepared to deputize for Cech for a short time, then believe me, I think we'll survive without him.

I personally think it's important that Cech remains as 1st choice for several reasons. The main one being that I would like to see Zouma gradually integrated rather than farmed out and I would also like to see us bring in Shaw. If Courtois is no. 1, and if Shaw & Zouma are going to be given sufficient playing time....that's a lot of changes to our back five. It just makes more sense to me to first work on phasing out players like Cole and Terry before even touching Cech. Courtois being no.1 next season isn't going to improve the team.

I'm not sure what else Courtois has to do short of winning the World Cup. la Liga, or the Champions League to demonstrate he's proven?

Courtois is well beyond where the greatest Belgian Keepers, Pfaff and Preudhomme, were at the same age, and those two were world class caliber.

I get the sentiment re: Cech but the shrewd business move is to go with the young proven keeper because he's got 15 years left and Cech might have 5-7

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9151974/world-cup-thibaut- courtois-hits-back-at-simon-mignolets- belgium-claims

Thibaut Courtois has hit back at Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet for saying that he was eyeing up his Belgium number one jersey.

Courtois, who is currently on loan at Atletico Madrid from Chelsea, has been Belgium's first-choice stopper since Marc Wilmots took charge in 2012 but he faces stiff competition from Mignolet, who moved to Anfield last summer.

With the World Cup approaching, the Liverpool goalkeeper had spoken out about his hopes of dislodging the 21-year-old from the team in time for the trip to Brazil.

However, Courtois believes that he remains in pole position for the tournament and thinks that Mignolet should take heed from the attitudes of the current world champions' goalkeeping fraternity.

"In Spain, I hear no goalkeeper saying they're aiming for the place of Casillas," he told Sport/Foot Magazine.

"Not De Gea, not Valdes, not Reina. It's the opposite - they back Casillas.

"Simon can say whatever he wants, but I think I've already saved enough points for Belgium and I'm playing good games for Atletico. He has to stay humble and respectful."

Oooouch!! Him and lukaku need serious PR training

Should of saved Reals second goal, went under him.

Also Costa is far too easy to wind up, but saying that, the likes of Pepe, Di maria and Ramos are probably the most hated players in football... some of their antics are disgusting.