Thibaut Courtois

Domino-

Guy's immense but if we get a crazy £40m offer I wouldn't mind selling him because it means funds so we can reinforce in other areas.

If Cech can stay healthy for around a decade it's good business. At the same time I wouldn't mind if we got like a £20m offer for Cech and held onto Courtois. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I hope PSG do that, actually they probably should and would. They are really lacking a standout world class GK even though imo Sirigu is good.

Amazing saves by Thibaut, he is going to be the best keeper in the next 10 years - tough decisions must be made in the summer

Genuinely think he's only behind Neuer and maybe Buffon at the moment. Could be best GK in the world with a top quality back 4 in front of him now I reckon.

Genuinely think he's only behind Neuer and maybe Buffon at the moment. Could be best GK in the world with a top quality back 4 in front of him now I reckon.

Buffon has been terrible pretty much since 2009. His record is only help by Juve's best defence and decline of Serie A. In CL he never made many world class saves, just usually good-great saves. The only goalkeepers on form atm and still playing well are Cech, De Gea, Courtois, Diego Lopez, Neuer. The rests like Valdes, Hart...etc are good but they made quite a few costly mistakes this season.

Then there is a level below keeprs like Dortmund GK, Sirigu, Mignolet...etc who plays well but occasionally make mistakes although they generally play well

Buffon has been terrible pretty much since 2009. His record is only help by Juve's best defence and decline of Serie A. In CL he never made many world class saves, just usually good-great saves. The only goalkeepers on form atm and still playing well are Cech, De Gea, Courtois, Diego Lopez, Neuer. The rests like Valdes, Hart...etc are good but they made quite a few costly mistakes this season.

Then there is a level below keeprs like Dortmund GK, Sirigu, Mignolet...etc who plays well but occasionally make mistakes although they generally play well

You're probably right. I am a bit of a Buffon fan boy though so I'm always going to be a bit biased ;).

Still amazing that we've got 2 of the top 5 or so keepers in the world isn't it? What an awesome situation to be in.

Dortmund keeper is Weidenfeller btw :).

Buffon had a bad couple of season with a lot of injuries last season and the one before, but he seems to be back to his best if not even better this season. He's pulled some ridiculous saves at critical times in the league. He's still up there.

PS: Juve's defense this season is shaky and not the best defense in Serie A anymore; Roma are.

They are pretty much on the same level IMO. Cech edges it because of experience.

Then if they're on the same level we should use the younger player who will be more likely to improve. He should be the type of player we build the future of this club around.

Is he better than Cech now? If we actually brought him back and played him, would we be better?

I know people will disagree with this, but I don't think he'll improve us if he were to come in next season. Looking at our starting back four right now, there's some uncertainly about who will continue to be 1st choice next season. We don't know if Luiz will even be here, we don't know if Terry and Cahill will continue to be the 1st choice centre back pairing and most likely a new left back will be added to the fold along with Zouma being phased in. My point is that we'll probably see some changes. I don't see Mourinho changing the goalkeeper as well. If we had a settled back four then you can afford to do so but right now that shouldn't be priority. The plan is to build a strong challenge for the title next season, my fear is that if we change our goalkeeper on top of the other personnel changes that will likely happen in our defence, then we're going to be forever stuck in transition.

Eventually Cech will need to be replaced, but now is not the time to do so.

Guy's immense but if we get a crazy £40m offer I wouldn't mind selling him because it means funds so we can reinforce in other areas.

If Cech can stay healthy for around a decade it's good business. At the same time I wouldn't mind if we got like a £20m offer for Cech and held onto Courtois. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

20m? 40m? for a GK?

Highly unrealistic.

So we should put next season's potential success above long-term stability in the GK position?

Definitely.

We've been in transition for a few years now and I just feel like one of the priorities next season shouldn't be about replacing an older excellent keeper with a younger excellent goalkeeper.

In my opinion, I think that's a luxury we're not in a position to afford. In the past 2 seasons we've finished 6th & 3rd and we're only now getting back to building a sustained title challenge. It's important that next season we build on that and in order to do so the priority then needs to be about strengthening central midfield, bringing in a left back, a centre forward and also we need to find a replacement for J.T - those are the pressing issues of concern. Long-term stability in the GK position? That's like fussing over the color of paint in your house when there's a leak that hasn't fully been fixed.

Mourinho has made a lot of promises for next season. I would be gobsmacked if he replaced a keeper we've had for 10 years in a season that he has big hopes for.

The best option for us is to negotiate a contract extension with Courtois, loan him out again and look to start phasing Cech out next season.

I don't care what people say, I would be so fucking mad if we sell this guy.

- He's on the same level as Cech but not better (yet?).

- He has made it clear he will not come to Chelsea unless he is given the number 1 goalkeeper status.

- Cech still has at least 6 or 7 years of good form in him, which gives us plenty of time to find another world class goalkeeper.

I think no matter what happens, the future of Courtois will be decided this very next summer. Even though he has a brilliant future ahead of him, his attitude and unwillingness to fight for a spot in the team is problematic. This is the type of player who, under no circumstances, would tolerate being benched by the manager. Mourinho has had to deal with one self-righteous and arrogant goalkeeper before and it was catastrophic for the club.

That said, I wouldn't like it if we sold him but if we got 40m for him, I wouldn't question the decision either.

So we should put next season's potential success above long-term stability in the GK position?

Right now Atletico are joint top of La Liga, probably through to the next round of the CL and in the summer Belgium will be in the World Cup. In each of these Courtois is a key figure.

Cech on the other hand has made more mistakes this season than I can remember him making in any other season. He's actually been dropped for the first time I can remember (or rested to give Schwarzer a CL debut....it's actually hard to tell because he was at fault for the first goal against Stoke). Here's another question - is Cech actually getting worse? He doesn't seem to be approaching that golden age for keepers in their 30s.

I think there's a solid case to be made that Courtois is the better keeper right now (and there are stats to back that up as well) and the guy is still only 21???? That's phenomenal and the argument that Cech is entering his prime can be used to suggest that it's highly likely Courtois will actually get better.

Courtois has achieved more at 21 than Cech did. He's arguably the better keeper at this moment in time. Selling him just tastes funny.

This x100

Cech still is a great keeper and one of the best in the league but I see a lot more mistakes than before.

I might be a bit biased being belgian but i sincerely believe courtois is already a bit better.

Definitely.

We've been in transition for a few years now and I just feel like the priority next season shouldn't be about replacing an older excellent keeper with a younger excellent goalkeeper.

In my opinion, I think that's a luxury we're not in a position to afford. In the past 2 seasons we've finished 6th & 3rd and we're only now getting back to building a sustained title challenge. It's important that next season we build on that and in order to do so the priority then needs to be about straightening central midfield, bringing in a left back, a centre forward and also we need to find a replacement for J.T - those are the pressing issues of concern. Long-term stability in the GK position? That's like fussing over the color of paint in your house when there's a leak that hasn't fully been fixed.

Mourinho has made a lot of promises for next season. I would be gobsmacked if he replaced a keeper we've had for 10 years in a season that he has big hopes for.

The best option for us is to negotiate a contract extension with Courtois, loan him out again and look to start phasing Cech out next season.

The goalkeeper isn't the paint, it's the foundations. We have a chance to move from one world-class keeper to another in a way no other team has ever managed. Two decades of solidity at that position is something very few teams are able to achieve, and not at such small cost.

Imagine we did sell Cech for £10 million - that covers the cost of buying Courtois. Bayern ended up paying £20 million to replace Kahn. In the long-term that's a great move. I also don't think switching keepers is that big a deal if we do it decisively.

In fact I think your short-termist thinking is a step backwards to the bad old days of a few seasons ago.

Would you like to pay Courtois in rainbows or hugs? I mean if we're going to negotiate a new contract with a keeper who has stated he wants certainty (and deserves it in my opinion) then you may as well go full-on with that fantasy. He has two years on his contract left. If he isn't being brought back to play for us then he shouldn't sign a contract. In fact if he's being advised any differently then he needs to sack his advisors.

The goalkeeper isn't the paint, it's the foundations. We have a chance to move from one world-class keeper to another in a way no other team has ever managed. Two decades of solidity at that position is something very few teams are able to achieve, and not at such small cost.

Imagine we did sell Cech for £10 million - that covers the cost of buying Courtois. Bayern ended up paying £20 million to replace Kahn. In the long-term that's a great move. I also don't think switching keepers is that big a deal if we do it decisively.

In fact I think your short-termist thinking is a step backwards to the bad old days of a few seasons ago.

Would you like to pay Courtois in rainbows or hugs? I mean if we're going to negotiate a new contract with a keeper who has stated he wants certainty (and deserves it in my opinion) then you may as well go full-on with that fantasy. He has two years on his contract left. If he isn't being brought back to play for us then he shouldn't sign a contract. In fact if he's being advised any differently then he needs to sack his advisors.

While I completely agree with what you wrote, I'm not sure I can see Jose letting Cech go in the season he claims we are going to be ready for (next one).

Wondering if something can be worked out with Cech -like a long term contract Rotation/backup... far fetched I know.