Super Frank Thread

4 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

HAHAHAHAHA! Come on now, we suck lately but if Arsenal and Chelsea make fusion only Auba and maybe Leno would make it to starting 11 from Arsenal.

I kid you not the day we won at The Emirates one of his first reactions was to tell us he thinks they may do us at The Bridge.

And now we have a certain member trying to outdo him on doomsday theories to the point he tries and twists people's words. This place is going to the dogs and no one who can do anything to reverse it is.

Lampard was hired for 2 reasons:

1- Make fans excited for the new season.

2- Create positive headlines for Chelsea.

At the end of the last season there was a transfer ban, we just lost Hazard and things didn't look good for this season. Lampard being a living legend was the perfect name to make fans get behind the manager and get off the back of the board. He was also more susceptible to accept the club demands, like throwing kids in the first team (something past managers refused to do). Suddenly a team that could't buy a single new player was the top team with the biggest amount of new acquisitions in the first: Mount, Abraham, Tomori, Reece James, Hudson Odoi. Instead of starting the season with your Girouds, Pedros and Alonsos, we had a new exciting team full of young talents.

The fact Lampard is an english legend also made the press more friendly towards him, and the fact that all of the new kids introduced in the first team were also english kids made Chelsea a lot more sympathetic for the press. Perhaps it was the first time in Abramovich era that the press had some love for Chelsea. Even after defeats to City and Liverpool, they were still using adjectives like "brave" and "impressive" to describe the team's performance. In other years they would be using "toothless" or "powerless". 

In the pass it was United kids that got ultra hyped by the press after some good performances (Macheda, Januzaj), not it was Chelsea with Mason Mount. Lampard was even get praised for things that Sarri was criticized for, like using Kante out of position: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7720953/JAMIE-REDKNAPP-Frank-Lampard-debunking-NGolo-Kante-myth.html

But even honeymoon has to end. The press is full with this kind of article in recent weeks:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8030543/MATT-BARLOW-questions-stop-Lampards-team-start-winning.html

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/feb/21/harsh-spotlight-shines-on-frank-lampard-as-honeymoon-period-fades

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/02/21/chelsea-falling-behind-tottenham-off-the-field-arms-race-importance/

Honeymoon is over for Mr. Frank. I always thought he was actually hired as a short term solution, I really doubt the board had a long term in mind when he was appointed. I can't seem him surviving in the job if he fails to get top 4, specially when 2 of top 4 teams are going to be Leicester and a team like Spurs, Sheffield or Wolves, all teams who didn't spend big and also have limited squads. 

Next 8 games will decide his fate.

@Henrique Mount, Abraham, Tomori, Reece James, Hudson Odoi.

Out of these - Abraham, James, and CHO are starting quality players.  Tomori has had impressive performances, and even Mount initially. I don't think they are ultra hyped players at all.  

Also, I can't imagine sitting at 4th this season with any other manager. If it was Sarri or Allegri or Enrique in charge, we would be starting the season with Pedro Willian and Batshuayi as the attackers, would not see  Abraham and James get as much action as they are getting. 

The team has tailed off pretty shockingly over the last couple of months but I really doubt Lampard was a short term appointment and he will stay on another year even if the team fails to make top 4

42 minutes ago, Strike said:

@Henrique Mount, Abraham, Tomori, Reece James, Hudson Odoi.

Out of these - Abraham, James, and CHO are starting quality players.  Tomori has had impressive performances, and even Mount initially. I don't think they are ultra hyped players at all.  

Also, I can't imagine sitting at 4th this season with any other manager. If it was Sarri or Allegri or Enrique in charge, we would be starting the season with Pedro Willian and Batshuayi as the attackers, would not see  Abraham and James get as much action as they are getting. 

The team has tailed off pretty shockingly over the last couple of months but I really doubt Lampard was a short term appointment and he will stay on another year even if the team fails to make top 4

Have to disagree, I think a more experienced manager could still of managed top 4 with our squad, as they could find other ways to get over the line especially Allegri who is very adaptable tactically and has shown he can get good results even when his teams dont necessarily play good. Maybe not Enrique and the verdicts still out on what Sarri may have done with another season here but I dont think it would be as open and closed as because we lost Hazard we would be lucky to get top 4.

I dont think any manager would start Batshuayi here regularly. Nobody is that stupid, surely? Allegri liked Mandzukic and Kean at Juve so I think we would of seen Giroud and Abraham more than Batshuayi if he came here for instance. Also I dont think he would of shunned Reece or Callum for definite. Maybe Mason or Tomori but with Ruben out and uncertaincy who is out best CBs who knows?

Lampard also cant have the luxury of a free hit season now like many think because we were 12 points clear for top 4 at one point. Young players or not blowing that gap in spectacular fashion is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

Have to disagree, I think a more experienced manager could still of managed top 4 with our squad, as they could find other ways to get over the line especially Allegri who is very adaptable tactically and has shown he can get good results even when his teams dont necessarily play good. Maybe not Enrique and the verdicts still out on what Sarri may have done with another season here but I dont think it would be as open and closed as because we lost Hazard we would be lucky to get top 4.

I dont think any manager would start Batshuayi here regularly. Nobody is that stupid, surely? Allegri liked Mandzukic and Kean at Juve so I think we would of seen Giroud and Abraham more than Batshuayi if he came here for instance. Also I dont think he would of shunned Reece or Callum for definite. Maybe Mason or Tomori but with Ruben out and uncertaincy who is out best CBs who knows?

Lampard also cant have the luxury of a free hit season now like many think because we were 12 points clear for top 4 at one point. Young players or not blowing that gap in spectacular fashion is ridiculous.

As much as other managers would manage the current situation better, it is important to remember we got ourselves into a good position because of Lampard's faith in the youth and the fact he began using them right away at the start of the season..

The youngsters' inexperience has showed, a bit too much at times, but I would be okay missing out on top 4  with a number of young players blooded in the first team than secure top 4 with the likes of Luiz, Willian, Pedro, Alonso as starting players. 

3 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Comparisons can be made with Keegan in 96 or whatever year it was. A beloved ex player Newcastle were 12 points ahead of Man United and then contrived to throw it away. A 12 point lead squandered is unacceptable whatever the circumstances we should have picked up points against the likes of West Ham, Newcastle, Bournemouth and Southampton. Keegan and Lampard both playing open football and always looking vulnerable both adored by both sets of fans both could have the same outcome.

On 2/19/2020 at 6:22 PM, Henrique said:

Whats your point? 

Tottenham beat Manchester city and we couldn't beat city. 

But we are beating Tottenham...

Or like you said because we couldn't beat Valencia and they lose against Atalanta. By which Atalanta couldn't win against city and yet Tottenham beat city and we are winning against Tottenham... 

You see the ridiculous of such statements? Of just using one game to make a point. 

Anyhow I still stand by what I said, it's a miracle that we are in top 4 and if we finish in top 4 then Lampard is amazing. 

Because my original target with no hazard and no transfer window was 7 to 10. 

So for me Lampard continues to perform way above my target. 

Anyhow I still stand by what I said, it's a miracle that we are in top 4 and if we finish in top 4 then Lampard is amazing. 
Because my original target with no hazard and no transfer window was 7 to 10. 
So for me Lampard continues to perform way above my target. 
Me too and you are at least realistic. Most Chelsea fans are like spoiled kids just like Real Madrid fans.

Lamps is doing fine

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Hope's he's realised how useful Giroud is. 

Good on him for picking that lineup however I will have no doubt in my mind he will continue with Christensen, which is a bad idea. Looked good today but faced virtually no strikers. Lewandowski is as physical as they come. 

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Three times now he's throughly out thought Mourinho, outfoxed Ten Hag in Amsterdam and has faced Klopp, Pep and Sarri with vastly inferior teams and had his side looking tactically on point.

Yes he's made mistakes that he will need to cut it out to ultimately make it here, but anyone who says there's no potential of a top coach in there is talking shit.

When did we face Sarri? :carlo: 

You might be right but as you alluded to, Lampard will need to do that consistently to be a top coach. Doing it for one game here and there doesn't cut it, does it? I mean, any average manager can have their day. Hodgson, for example, has masterminded some excellent wins against the big teams with smaller teams but you wouldn't say he's a top coach would you, especially after his time at Liverpool? 

Also IIRC, you said that Mourinho is basically a yesterday manager, a manager past it (or something along those lines) and if so, not sure what's the weight here that Lampard managed to out thought him. The performance and win at Ajax were good, I'll say that, but as I mentioned it back then, Ajax have a poor recent home record in the Champions League. It was their away form that got them to the semis last season. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

When did we face Sarri? :carlo: 

You might be right but as you alluded to, Lampard will need to do that consistently to be a top coach. Doing it for one game here and there doesn't cut it, does it? I mean, any average manager can have their day. Hodgson, for example, has masterminded some excellent wins against the big teams with smaller teams but you wouldn't say he's a top coach would you, especially after his time at Liverpool? 

Also IIRC, you said that Mourinho is basically a yesterday manager, a manager past it (or something along those lines) and if so, not sure what's the weight here that Lampard managed to out thought him. The performance and win at Ajax were good, I'll say that, but as I mentioned it back then, Ajax have a poor recent home record in the Champions League. It was their away form that got them to the semis last season. 

We didn't, he did last season with Derby and we were outdone tactically and won because we had the superior players. 

Difference with Roy is he is a finished article manager, he won't be developing or improving. Lampard has the scope to improve but I do agree he has to develop the consistency, but in my opinion he's earned that chance next season all things considered.

Yes Jose is definitely yesterday's manager but even now he rarely gets so out classed by the same man three times on the spin, even against Pep he usually finds something passing an answer every now and again even if it involves sticking all his players in the box. Regarding Ajax, I would have praised the performance in that game even if we didn't win, Ajax have had the style of football we're trying to adopt ingrained in their club for decades and we went there and schooled them at their own game, would be the stylistic equivalent of Arsenal coming to The Bridge in the Drogba, Ballack days and overpowering us.

Very happy with today's approach, attitude and performance (for a change). I hope Lamps has realised that he should never, ever marginalize players, unless it's for disciplinary issues. Giroud and Alosno were great today, credit where it's due.

Not sure if Jose is a former shell of himself or Ole has some black magic involved when we play them but to beat Jose 3 times and lose the same amount against Ole is so weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Tomo said:

We didn't, he did last season with Derby and we were outdone tactically and won because we had the superior players. 

Difference with Roy is he is a finished article manager, he won't be developing or improving. Lampard has the scope to improve but I do agree he has to develop the consistency, but in my opinion he's earned that chance next season all things considered.

Oh right, Derby in the cup last season. :lol: 

I'm inclined to agree with you but if you're gonna blow the trumpet of how Lampard manages to outsmart Manager X, Y, Z after notable wins, then can we do the same when he gets outsmarted by Manager X, Y, Z after notable losses and not get "shot" at? Because we have had some bad losses this season and some were to very average managers...